ch-scene - Re: Cary food

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Cary food
  • Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2007 14:41:21 -0500

If the weather is warm, there are some outdoor tables in front of Cool Breeze. I love Cool Breeze, by the way . . . take the advice in the paper & kind of order little bits of everything. I especially like some kind of chickpea goo that comes with a huge fried-dough thing, but I can't ever remember the name ;-)

If you have trouble getting in & getting food (it's TINY, so you may), Udipi is right around the corner, and it's one of the best Indian restaurants in the Triangle. It's just in the very next stripmall west on Chatham (or whatever street Cool Breeze is on . . it's Cary, so I'm always 100% lost there). It's truly outstanding, and all vegetarian.

There's a new-ish Thai restaurant in another strip mall right around the corner on Maynard; it's not outstanding, but it's pretty solid & I wouldn't mind eating there again in a pinch. & actually, they'd just opened when I ate there, so for all I know they may be outstanding by now. The same strip mall has a sushi place (Little Tokyo Sushi, or something) that has gotten some good mentions on tri.dining or Chowhound, but I'm skeptical. I've never eaten there.

On towards downtown Cary (old-downtown downtown), there's Ciao Cafe and Wine Bar, which is a weird little hole-in-the-wall with sandwiches, nibbles & desserts, and a fairly good wine selection, run by this youngish Italian guy who just decided to set up shop there a few years ago: http://www.ciaocafeandwinebar.com/

There's some high-end sake at the Japanese place, Asahi, (run by a Korean guy, oddly enough) in the shopping center that's across from the Galaxy Cinema: http://triangle.citysearch.com/profile/11414933/cary_nc/asahi_korean_japanese_restaurant.html

Those are the places that immediately spring to mind in that area. I've heard good things about dozens of other Cary restaurants, but their names & locations escape me. Lemme know if none of those impress, and I'll try to think harder.

xo

Ross

koegler AT email.unc.edu wrote:
Hey Food Types,

Some friends and I are going to try and check out that "Cool Breeze" restaurant reviewed in the Independent last week. In case it's hella crowded and we can't get in, which seems possible considering it's a Friday and it was just reviewed, is there anything else good in that immediate area (like w/in a mile or 2)? I don't know anything about Cary, but I know Cary food has been discussed on this list before (not sure where or when though). Thanks.

RK