ch-scene - Re: stuff to do, week of February 8, 2007

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "DJ Golf" <djgolf AT mindspring.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: stuff to do, week of February 8, 2007
  • Date: 13 Feb 2007 13:47:01 -0800

Akron/Family (Sat. 2/17 at Duke Coffeehouse) are one of my fave recent
bands. Hard to pin a label on these guys - maybe somewhere inside a
triangle whose points are the "freak folk" of Devendra B./Joanna
Newsom and company, the "New Weird American Underground" sound a la
Jackie O MF, No Neck Blues Band et al, and (possibly the closest point
of reference) the Beatles' "Abbey Road." Their newest thing ("Meek
Warrior") features a guest appearance by avant-jazz drummer Hamid
Drake, and some free sax blowin' by somebody. I was hipped to them
via their connection to ex-Swans goth/noise guru Michael Gira, who
"discovered" and produced them & released their stuff on his Young God
label (and hired them to be his backing band on the current Angels Of
Light recordings.) Their live shows are supposed to be legendary,
with audience members inspired to jump around and yell and stuff.

I'm interested in hearing BIrds of Avalon too. This show should be
good.

dj golf