ch-scene - [Internationalist Books] extra special event tonight! (and more!)

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: internationalistbooks AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Internationalist Books] extra special event tonight! (and more!)
  • Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 11:25:52 -0500

INTERNATIONALIST BOOKS
405 W Franklin Street
Chapel Hill, NC 27516
919.942.1740
www.internationalistbooks.org
ibooks25.blogspot.com

COME CHECK THIS BOOK OUT: “In-dependence” From Bondage: This book compares (and brings into light) the relevant worldviews of Afro-Caribbean poet/novelist, Claude McKay and Caribbean prime minister Michael Manley. They arrive at a common awareness that the dominant political ideology of the North is incongruous to the history and development of people in the African Diaspora and in the global South in general. Author Lloyd McCarthy currently lives in Raleigh after duties as a public servant in Jamaica.

We have some great events coming up!

Tuesday, 13 February @ 7pm
ZELDA LOCKHART | COLD RUNNING CREEK
Lockhart, author of Fifth Born, will be here to discuss her latest
novel, Cold Running Creek. It is a lyrical, personal, and profoundly
realistic portrayal of figures of our past whose stories, until now, lay
buried beneath the rubble of slavery and Civil War. Lockhart presents a
novel that is as significant as Alex Haley’s Roots and as sensitive in
the portrayal of its characters as Zora Neale Hurston’s Their Eyes Were
Watching God.

Thursday, 22 February @ 7pm
INGA MUSCIO | AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF A BLUE-EYED DEVIL
Infamous author of Cunt, Inga Muscio will be here to discuss her latest
work, which examines the state of history and its flaws. She sets out to
rewrite a history that has been traditionally steeped in misogyny,
racism, imperialism, and classism. In doing so, she calls for a fresh
look at what we consider factual history.

Is anybody interested in going to DC on 17 March to protest the war? Please send an email to daniel AT internationalistbooks.com. If there’s interest, we’ll arrange a bus.

  • [Internationalist Books] extra special event tonight! (and more!), internationalistbooks, 02/13/2007