ch-scene - XTC DOA

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Baby Messy <bilboa AT baggins.con>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: XTC DOA
  • Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2007 15:46:06 -0500

From The Onion AV Club

AVC: What's the status of XTC?

AP: Well, I think XTC is so far in the fridge now. I know Colin isn't
interested in music anymore. He called me about three or four months ago
to say he wasn't listening to music or buying music and didn't want to
write any more music. And not long after that, he actually moved and
omitted to tell me where he now lives or what his new phone number is. I
could find out through management, but if he doesn't want me to know
where he lives, I guess he's trying to run away from his past, and I'm
part of his past. So the general is left, but the troops have deserted.

AVC: Would you want to revive XTC if Colin was interested? Or are you
ready to move on?

AP: No, I think I could kill him now. I've been married to him since
1972, and I know all the good bits about him, and certainly all the bad
bits. I think we reached a creative impasse some time ago. I know the
songs he brought up for Wasp Star were kind of also-rans, rejects from
another time. (I KNEW it!) I think Colin has written one new song in the
last 10 years. So I find myself in a very weird position, because it's
the first time since 1969 that I haven't been in a group.

Me: There goes that dream.

  • XTC DOA, Baby Messy, 02/08/2007