ch-scene - stuff to do, week of January 25, 2007

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: stuff to do, week of January 25, 2007
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 19:07:03 -0500

Thursday, January 25
Bobby Bare Jr. (http://www.bobbybarejr.com/)
Explorers Club (http://www.myspace.com/explorersclub)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Thursday, January 25
Midtown Dickens (http://www.myspace.com/midtowndickens)
Marla Hooch (http://www.myspace.com/marlahoochnyc)
Boxcar Bertha (http://www.myspace.com/boxcarbertha)
The Curtains of Night
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Thursday, January 25
Table (http://www.myspace.com/table)
Chest Pains (http://www.myspace.com/thechestpains)
Kings, Raleigh

Longtime local rock veterans making gabba-gabba punkrock. Check them both out in the player & you'll see what I mean.

Thursday, January 25
Summer Sorcerer (http://www.myspace.com/summersorcerer)
Pinebender (http://www.lovitt.com/artists.php?artists_id=27)
Reservoir, Carrboro

Summer Sorcerer are members of Milemarker & Fin Fang Foom. Pinebender are FFF's Lovitt Records labelmates; they're from Chicago.

Friday, January 26
Transportation (http://www.myspace.com/transportation)
Victory Factory (http://www.myspace.com/victoryfactory)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

This is the late (10:30ish) show. Transportation are a buncha guys whose love for 70s piano balladry may only be exceeded by their love for gritty 70s guitar glam-rock.

Victory Factory are, personnel-wise, half of the original lineup of Pipe, half of The Ghost of Rock, and a couple of guys from Joe Romeo's Orange County Volunteers. All in just four guys: Ron Liberti, Dave IT, Joe Romeo & Rock Forbes.

Friday, January 26
Can Joann (http://www.canjoann.com/)
Alternative Champs (http://www.alternativechamps.com/)
Kings, Raleigh

Friday, January 26
Phillip MacDonald (http://www.myspace.com/phillipmacdonald)
Charles Latham (http://www.myspace.com/sircharleslatham)
Bickett Gallery, Raleigh

Phillip MacDonald is in a Raleigh band called The Shrink. Charles Latham warms the cockles of Grayson Currin's cold cold heart (and OK, mine too).

Saturday, January 27
The Bottle Rockets (http://www.bottlerocketsmusic.com)
Otis Gibbs (http://www.otisgibbs.com/)
Tom Gillam and Tractor Pull (http://www.myspace.com/tomgillamstractorpull)
Hideaway BBQ, Raleigh

Saturday, January 27
The Bleeding Hearts (http://www.thebleedinghearts.net/home.html)
Stone Fox
Kings, Raleigh

Bluesy stonesy rock, with hair. And some vests, I bet.

Saturday, January 27
Viswas
Uncomfortable (http://www.myspace.com/uncomfortablenoise)
Bickett Gallery, Raleigh

Monday, January 29
The Rapture (http://www.therapturemusic.com)
Under the Influence of Giants (http://www.utiog.com/)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Tuesday, January 30
A/V Geeks (http://www.avgeeks.com)
Kings, Raleigh

Skip says:

In October of last year, we lost an important educational filmmaker - Sid Davis. He wasn't the best filmmaker and his message wasn't always a progressive one. In fact, his vision of a world filled with sexual deviants and kids on the brink of tragedy helped usher in the current paranoia. Films include - Name Unknown, Why Does Sammy Speed?, Dangerous Stranger and more! Suggested donation $5

Tuesday, January 30
Erin McKeown (http://www.erinmckeown.com/)
Sean Hayes (http://www.seanhayesmusic.com)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Erin McKeown, about whom I know next-to-nothing, just (2 weeks ago) released an album of pop standards ("standards" meaning stuff that Judy Garland would've known and loved) performed jazz-trio style. She's apparently otherwise an indie/folk-rocker of some kind, and she also appears to be under the age of 30. The tracks I heard on the internet played games with the arrangements while still honoring the spirit of the songs. Dunno that I'd trek out to 506 on a cold Monday night in January for her, but she'd make for an excellent brunch . . . Maybe you could trek out, invite them to stay at your house, and then make them play for their breakfast?

Wednesday, January 31
Flicker (http://www.chapel-hill.nc.us/flicker)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Flicker is the long-long-running monthlyish short-film celebration/festival. This time the theme is "Wild Wild West," meaning most/all of the films featured are from the west, either of this country or various other countries. There are some countries where the West is so far West that it's East, you know. Things get underway around 8:00-ish, and as always, there will be sweets and door prizes.

Wednesday, January 31
Crowmeat Bob presents Death Jazz
Kings, Raleigh

No word (to me, at least) from Bob as to what's on his agenda for this installment of his semi-irregular Death Jazz nite, but it's sure to involve melody & skronk in uncertain ratios.

Thursday, February 1
White Rook (http://www.myspace.com/whiterookband)
Blag'ard (http://www.blagard.com/)
Chest Pains (http://www.myspace.com/thechestpains)
Wetlands, Chapel Hill

White Rook is one of several current bands featuring Eddie from Fin Fang Foom; he's a busy cat. Blag'ard is the primarily-solo outlet of Joe Taylor (Capsize 7, Lystra); it's kinda like a one-man Capsize 7, actually.

Chest Pains is Greg Barbera on bass & yelling; Eric Hermann (Pleasant) on drums, and Tim Ristau (ex-Jett Rink) on guitar. It's kinda punk, if married guys are allowed to be "punk" anymore.

Friday, February 2
The dB's (http://www.thedbsonline.net)
Mayflies USA (http://www.bigshoe.com/mayflies)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

So, the "classic" lineup of the dB's (does that apostrophe go there? I think it does, Proper-Noun-Wise, but it bugs the crap out of me) are back together, recording, playing shows, etc. Dave Menconi of the News & Observer flew to NYC to see one of the shows, which he'll be writing about in this Sunday's N&O, so look out for that. Or you can just go to the Cradle & plunk down your money like everybody else.

I assume there is fuss being made, of the happy/excited variety, over this dB's reappearance, but where is the fuss over the reappearance of Mayflies USA? I know, they haven't been gone as long, but they've been missed nevertheless by local lovers of sweet wistful boy/boy harmonies and power-pop guitars.

Friday, February 2
The Mountain Goats (http://www.themountaingoats.net/)
The Old Ceremony (http://www.theoldceremony.com/)
The Prayers and Tears of Arthur Digby Sellers (http://www.prayersandtears.com/)
Megafaun (http://www.myspace.com/megafaun)
Kings, Raleigh

This is night one of the annual WKNC Double Barrel Benefit. I guess it takes a lot more electricity to run a gazillion-watt transmitter like they have nowadays, even if it's all being supplied secretly by the NC State nuclear reactor there under the brickyard.

WKNC has a long history of supporting local music, and, once the "metal" jokes died down, local music has a long history of supporting WKNC. Tonight's lineup includes megastars the Mountain Goats, megaband The Old Ceremony (at least 7 or 8 dudes in that band), meganame The Prayers and Tears of Arthur Digby Sellers, and, well, Megafaun.

Friday, February 2
The Last Town Chorus (http://www.thelasttownchorus.com)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

The tracks I heard sounded kinda like the Cowboy Junkies, if Margo Timmins played crazy badass freakout lapsteel in addition to singing. Worth a listen.

Friday, February 2
Across the Elementary (http://www.myspace.com/acrosstheelementary)
Sweater Weather (http://www.sweater-weather.com)
Shapiro (http://www.shapiropeople.com)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Friday, February 2
Extra Blue Kind (http://www.extrabluekind.com/)
Mowgli (http://www.myspace.com/mowglimowgli)
Can Joann (http://www.canjoann.com/)
Duke Coffeehouse, Durham

Saturday, February 3
The Nein (http://www.thenein.com/)
Tiger Bear Wolf (http://www.tigerbearwolf.com)
Future Islands (http://www.myspace.com/futureislands)
Kings, Raleigh

This is night two of the WKNC Double Barrel Benefit. Art-rockers The Nein mix it up with dirty Greensboro southern post-whatevers Tiger Bear Wolf, and Future Islands, who're from Greenville and are kinda uncategorizable.

Saturday, February 3
Cunningham Lane (http://www.cunninghamlane.com)
Pickup Setdown (http://www.myspace.com/pickupsetdown)
Tennis and the Mennonites (http://www.tennisandthemennonites.com)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

--------> http://www.trianglerock.com <--------

  • stuff to do, week of January 25, 2007, grady, 01/25/2007