ch-scene - [Internationalist Books] EVENTS: we got 'em.

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: internationalistbooks AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Internationalist Books] EVENTS: we got 'em.
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 12:15:26 -0500

INTERNATIONALIST BOOKS
405 W Franklin Street
Chapel Hill, NC 27516
919.942.1740
www.internationalistbooks.org
ibooks25.blogspot.com

We have some great events coming up in February!

Thursday, 08 February @ 7pm
ALEXIS ZEIGLER | CULTURE CHANGE: CIVIL LIBERTY, PEAK OIL, AND THE END OF EMPIRE
What impact will Peak Oil have on the political culture of the U.S.? What is the connection between the ecological limits we have already reached on the growth of militarism, fundamentalism, and male supremacy? How can we downscale and localize our economy to reduce our energy and resource use? Alexis Zeigler, author of the new book, Culture Change; Civil Liberty, Peak Oil, and the End of Empire will conduct a presentation and discussion of these issues.

Tuesday, 13 February @ 7pm
ZELDA LOCKHART | COLD RUNNING CREEK
Lockhart, author of Fifth Born, will be here to discuss her latest novel, Cold Running Creek. It is a lyrical, personal, and profoundly realistic portrayal of figures of our past whose stories, until now, lay buried beneath the rubble of slavery and Civil War. Lockhart presents a novel that is as significant as Alex Haley’s Roots and as sensitive in the portrayal of its characters as Zora Neale Hurston’s Their Eyes Were Watching God.

Thursday, 22 February @ 7pm
INGA MUSCIO | AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF A BLUE-EYED DEVIL
Infamous author of Cunt, Inga Muscio will be here to discuss her latest work, which examines the state of history and its flaws. She sets out to rewrite a history that has been traditionally steeped in misogyny, racism, imperialism, and classism. In doing so, she calls for a fresh look at what we consider factual history.

  • [Internationalist Books] EVENTS: we got 'em., internationalistbooks, 01/16/2007