ch-scene - Stuff to do, week of December 28, 2006

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Stuff to do, week of December 28, 2006
  • Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 18:49:04 -0500

According to the Indy this week, that Malt Swagger New Years Eve show at Piedmont is attendable for $5 if'n you don't plan to dine there -- I guess it'll be starting around 11:00 p.m.

Otherwise:

Friday, December 29
Slewfoot & Cary B (http://www.musicmaker.org/artists/index.php?bandid=29)
Macavine Hayes (http://www.musicmaker.org/artists/index.php?bandid=13)
Captain Luke (http://www.musicmaker.org/artists/index.php?bandid=7)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Music Maker Relief Foundation presents: "Drink House to Church House" Film Preview, plus Performances by
SLEWFOOT & CARY B
MACAVINE HAYES
CAPTAIN LUKE

Friday, December 29
Thunderlip (http://www.thunderlip.com/)
Torch Marauder's Grappling Hook (http://home.att.net/~sandydave/torchhome.html)
The Dynamite Brothers (http://www.dynamitebrothers.com/)
Kings, Raleigh

Thunderlip are a "metal" band from Wilmington with a total punkrock/gospel energy-level, most especially in the case of their wall-climbing frontman.

Torch Marauder's Grappling Hook is the culmination of everything Torch has been working for all these years. A crackerjack band, wearing matching aviator shades (if you can get a peek behind them, you'll spy members of Analogue/Cheap Heat & the Maple Stave), cranking out giant riffs as the Torch cycles through an endless series of crazy masks, and equally crazy fantasy-metal anthems.

Saturday, December 30
Killer Filler (http://www.myspace.com/killerfiller)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Saturday, December 30
Uncomfortable (http://www.myspace.com/uncomfortablenoise)
Marigold
Alias Smith & Jones (http://www.myspace.com/aliassmithandjonesband)
Kings, Raleigh

Sunday, December 31
Dale Watson & his Lone Stars (http://www.dalewatson.com)
Elizabeth Cook (http://www.elizabeth-cook.com/)
Hideaway BBQ, Raleigh

Hideaway BBQ is the new BBQ/country-music joint on Capitol Blvd in Raleigh. I haven't been, so I can't comment on the Q (the one report I've had is that it's perfectly acceptable, although since they're one of those places that tries to be all BBQ to all people, I'm still skeptical). They've booked a high-quality lineup of trad- and alt-country acts in their first few months of operation, and it all culminates with hardcore honky-tonker Dale Watson, who appears to be flying in from Austin for this show.

Sunday, December 31
The Wusses (http://thewusses.com/)
Robo Sapien (http://www.gorobosapien.com/)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

What better way to ring in the New Year than with those masters of all things 70s & soft-rock The Wusses? The crazy queer electro-hiphop of Robo Sapien starts yr night off right.

Sunday, December 31
Spider Bags (http://www.myspace.com/spiderbags)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

If you're hoping to spend 2007 in a drunken stupor, then this is the show for you: Spider Bags' first album is a dissertation in dissolution.

Thursday, January 4
Clang Quartet (http://www.myspace.com/clangquartet)
Yellow Tears (http://www.myspace.com/yellowtears)
Cathode Terror Secretion (http://www.myspace.com/cathodeterrorsecretion)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Kick your new year off right with some hellacious screeching noise at Nightlight. Clang Quartet, of course, is drummer Scotty Irving's one-man noise/percussion tribute to Jesus Christ.

Thursday, January 4
Body Electric (http://www.myspace.com/be)
Dialogues (http://www.myspace.com/dialoguesharrisonburg)
Hazerai (http://www.myspace.com/hazerai)
Kings, Raleigh

Friday, January 5
Beloved Binge (http://www.myspace.com/belovedbinge)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

This is the early (~7:30) show. Beloved Binge are a kinda K-Recordsy husband-wife gtr/drums duo, who moved here a year or two ago from Seattle. They're way fun.

Friday, January 5
The Tremors (http://www.tremorsrockabilly.com/)
Dexter Romweber and the New Romans (http://www.myspace.com/dexterromweber)
The Bo-Stevens (http://www.thebostevens.com/)
TCB '56
Stone Fox
Local 506, Chapel Hill

This is night one of Elvisfest (http://elvisfest.loserville.net/ ). The lineup tonight includes the majestic Dexter Romweber and the New Romans, which is Dex's large band (2 drums, 2 guitars, bass, keys, sax).

Friday, January 5
Randy Whitt and the Grits (http://www.randywhitt.com/)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

This is the late (~10:30) show. Randy Whitt is a Country Singer.

Friday, January 5
Recess (http://www.dyss.net/nightlight/)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

This is the first Recess of 2007. Recess is the monthly-ish noisemaker-shakeup series run by Robert Biggers (Audubon Park, the Nein) wherein local musicians make a point of making sounds they otherwise wouldn't be making.

Saturday, January 6
Brown Mountain Lights (http://www.brownmountainlights.net/)
Hege V (http://www.vivanashvegas.com/home.htm)
Memphis (http://www.memphistheband.com/)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

This is a benefit for the Woods Charter School (http://www.woodscharter.org/ ). Most notably, it's also a reunion of the late-80s cowpunk band Hege V, named for its frontman, George Hege Hamilton V. George V moved to Nashville a good long while ago, so you're not going to get too many chances to see 'em.

To whet yr appetite, check out the hearse-surfing in this vintage Hege V video: http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZMTvZfQ5aiE

Saturday, January 6
Reverend D-Ray and the Shockers (http://www.myspace.com/revdrayandtheshockers)
Kitty Box & the Johnnys (http://www.indyweek.com/gyrobase/Content?oid=oid%3A40789)
Truckstop Preachers (http://www.truckstoppreachers.com)
Psychocharger (http://www.psychocharger.com/)
Billy Joe Winghead (http://www.winghead.com/)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Night two of Elvisfest (http://elvisfest.loserville.net/ ), the "all really elaborate fucked-up band names" night, I guess.

Saturday, January 6
Dom Casual (http://www.myspace.com/domcasual)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Dom Casual is the surfy/garagey rock-n-roll band of Durhamite Jamie McLendon, a man with an endless repertoire of bizarre stories that he likes to bust out between songs.

Saturday, January 6
Mothguts (http://www.myspace.com/mothguts)
Hispanic Dance Club (http://www.unc.edu/~clarkke/hdc.html)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

  • Stuff to do, week of December 28, 2006, grady, 12/28/2006