ch-scene - stuff to do, week of December 21, 2006

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: stuff to do, week of December 21, 2006
  • Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 18:06:06 -0500

In addition to the stuff listed here, you should also know that the elusive Malt Swagger will be making a rare appearance New Year's Eve at Piedmont.

But first:

Thursday, December 21
Jessy Delfino (http://www.jessydelfino.blogspot.com)
Charles Latham (http://www.myspace.com/sircharleslatham)
Wigg Report (http://www.synchronizedswim.org)
305 South, Durham

Jessy Delfino is an NY-based standup comic whose act consists primarily of filthy songs about vaginas, which I guess makes her the poor woman's Sarah Silverman or something. Charles Latham sings about other things in addition to genitalia, but he swears nonetheless that he's going to try to give her a run for her money in the filth department. He's such a sweet young man, I dunno if he has it in him.

The Wigg Report probably have filthy minds as well, but onstage they're more about their warm buzzy messed-up vibe; I don't think I've ever heard them mention their cooches.

Thursday, December 21
Sister Fanny
Dexter Romweber (http://www.dexterromweber.com)
Stratocruiser (http://www.stratocruisermusic.com/)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Stratocruiser are a big happy powerpop/rock band; it's clear from the songs I've heard that they're huge Cheap Trick fans, and who can blame them?

Dexter Romweber's current Duo is himself plus his sister Sara (Let's Active, Snatches of Pink) on drums. The show I saw last month was probably the best Dex-related show I've seen in the past 10 years or more.

Friday, December 22
Jeffrey Dean Foster (http://www.jeffreydeanfoster.com/)
Lynn Blakey
The Garage, Winston-Salem

Lynn Blakey is in Tres Chicas; Jeffrey Dean Foster is an NC Music legend, due in part to his 80s band the Right Profile, and in part to his tenacity in continuing to make music although his every project seems to attract label interest and then wind up screwed in some way. This show is a benefit for AIDS service orgs in the Triad.

Friday, December 22
David Childers and the Modern Don Juans (http://www.davidchilders.com)
Joe Swank and the Zen Pirates (http://www.myspace.com/joeswankandthezenpirates)
Hideaway BBQ, Raleigh

This is a holiday party & food drive put together by the members of the Guitartown list, which is a long-running & close-knit local discussion group devoted to alt.country & whatever else. Bring canned food for the hungry (and if you show up early enough, bring yourself hungry as well, since the Hideaway isn't just a country-music club, it's also a BBQ joint).

Friday, December 22
Evil Wiener (http://www.evilwienerworld.com/)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

It's the Evil Weiner Christmas Show. Why, it seems like it was only yesterday that Chuck was bitching about having to wear a Santa hat at last year's Evil Wiener Christmas Show. Where would the holidays be without Evil Weiner to distill them to their essence?

Friday, December 22
Health (http://www.myspace.com/healthyportions)
Auto-Passion (http://www.myspace.com/autopassion)
Sugar in the Dirt (http://www.myspace.com/sugarinthedirt)
The Werehouse, Winston-Salem

This is a CD-release party for the new Health CD, which is just out on Ernest Jenning. Haven't heard it, but if it's as good as the stuff I *have* heard, it's great.

Friday, December 22
Extreme Animals (http://www.paperrad.org/extreme/)
Boner Machine (http://www.unc.edu/~smith99/bm)
Cantwell, Gomez, Jordan (http://www.cantwellgomezandjordan.com)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

This is the Nth Annual Creativeimprovisationmas holiday celebration at Nightlight. They'd originally booked To Live and Shave in LA, which had everybody kinda twittering with pants-shitting anticipation, but apparently they cancelled this whole leg of their tour. Sigh.

No matter, however, as Extreme Animals and Boner Machine are both amply capable of bringing the fuX0red spectacle, and Cantwell Gomez and Jordan will hold down the actual music-making portion of the evening.

Saturday, December 23
Mount Awesome (http://www.myspace.com/mountawesomeband)
Inertia (http://www.myspace.com/iiinertia)
Hazerai (http://www.myspace.com/hazerai)
Chaz's Bull City Records, Durham

It's Chaz's Xmas Party, and he's risking it all by having a rockshow at the store, rickety floorboards and all. Hazerai sprung from the ashes of the Country Bears; the other 2 bands are from Florida.

Saturday, December 23
Noncanon (http://www.myspace.com/noncanon)
Magic Babies
Powers
Kings, Raleigh

Leave it to the rather elfin Danny Vaughn of Noncanon to give you something wonderful to do, this close to the cultural no-persons-land that is Xmas. Is it icing, or the whole cake, that his band also happens to be utterly brilliant?

Tuesday, December 26
Big Cream (http://www.myspace.com/bigcream)
The Gondoliers (http://www.myspace.com/comeseethegondoliers)
The Points (http://www.myspace.com/thepoints)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Gondoliers are the garage-rock band that emerged from the commingled ashes of the Spinns and the Young Idea.

Wednesday, December 27
Erie Choir (http://www.eriechoir.com)
Schooner (http://www.schoonermusic.com)
Monologue Bombs (http://www.myspace.com/themonologuebombs)
Bickett Gallery, Raleigh

This night was put together by Matt from Ear Farm, who I guess has kin around here, cuz he lives in New York but he's managed to book an excellent show in Raleigh, presumably to entertain himself while he's in town.

Erie Choir just put out what very well may be the album of the year, "Slighter Awake," (especially if I decree the Bowerbirds' "Danger at Sea" to have been an EP & thus in a different category, which it was & is). Schooner are full of surprises; they like to start out soft and croony and nougat-pop, and then get all hot and bothered & start yelping.

Monologue Bombs is the solo accordion-and-vox side-project of Goner's Scott Phillips.

Friday, December 29
Slewfoot & Cary B (http://www.musicmaker.org/artists/index.php?bandid=29)
Macavine Hayes (http://www.musicmaker.org/artists/index.php?bandid=13)
Captain Luke (http://www.musicmaker.org/artists/index.php?bandid=7)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Music Maker Relief Foundation presents: "Drink House to Church House" Film Preview, plus Performances by
SLEWFOOT & CARY B
MACAVINE HAYES
CAPTAIN LUKE

Friday, December 29
Thunderlip (http://www.thunderlip.com/)
Torch Marauder's Grappling Hook (http://home.att.net/~sandydave/torchhome.html)
The Dynamite Brothers (http://www.dynamitebrothers.com/)
Kings, Raleigh

Thunderlip are a "metal" band from Wilmington with a total punkrock/gospel energy-level, most especially in the case of their wall-climbing frontman.

Torch Marauder's Grappling Hook is the culmination of everything Torch has been working for all these years. A crackerjack band, wearing matching aviator shades (if you can get a peek behind them, you'll spy members of Analogue/Cheap Heat & the Maple Stave), cranking out giant riffs as the Torch cycles through an endless series of crazy masks, and equally crazy fantasy-metal anthems.

Saturday, December 30
Killer Filler (http://www.myspace.com/killerfiller)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Saturday, December 30
Uncomfortable (http://www.myspace.com/uncomfortablenoise)
Marigold
Alias Smith & Jones (http://www.myspace.com/aliassmithandjonesband)
Kings, Raleigh

Sunday, December 31
Dale Watson & his Lone Stars (http://www.dalewatson.com)
Elizabeth Cook (http://www.elizabeth-cook.com/)
Hideaway BBQ, Raleigh

Hideaway BBQ is the new BBQ/country-music joint on Capitol Blvd in Raleigh. I haven't been, so I can't comment on the Q (the one report I've had is that it's perfectly acceptable, although since they're one of those places that tries to be all BBQ to all people, I'm still skeptical). They've booked a high-quality lineup of trad- and alt-country acts in their first few months of operation, and it all culminates with hardcore honky-tonker Dale Watson, who appears to be flying in from Austin for this show.

Sunday, December 31
The Wusses (http://thewusses.com/)
Robo Sapien (http://www.gorobosapien.com/)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

What better way to ring in the New Year than with those masters of all things 70s & soft-rock The Wusses? The crazy queer electro-hiphop of Robo Sapien starts yr night off right.

Sunday, December 31
Spider Bags (http://www.myspace.com/spiderbags)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

If you're hoping to spend 2007 in a drunken stupor, then this is the show for you: Spider Bags' first album is a dissertation in dissolution.

--------> http://www.trianglerock.com <--------