ch-scene - Re: So it's Atlanta, and it's not music, but it *is* political

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: mc^2 <thebackyardbbq AT yahoo.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: So it's Atlanta, and it's not music, but it *is* political
  • Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 19:34:27 -0800 (PST)

Wow, I'm really glad to see at least a few people here
took some interest in this story.

The latest I've found with even more disturbing
updates, courtesy the Atlanta Journal Constitution:

http://www.ajc.com/wireless/content/metro/atlanta/stories/2006/11/28/112706metshoot_html.html

Over the past few months, I've been limited to local
network TV, and the paucity of information regarding
this case being made available to Triangle residents
is... sadly not surprising.

Back in November 2004, I attended the 25th anniversary
march of the Greensboro massacre, I was duly impressed
with the number of participants, and upon returning to
Chapel Hill, I was certain there'd be news coverage.
There were several hundred of us, perhaps a thousand
or more. Honestly it felt like at least a thousand,
and considering we were walking on average 12-abreast
and several blocks long, it could have been more than
a thousand, but I want to keep it conservative to try
to balance any bias my enthusiasm would introduce. It
was moving and inspiring, and I'm grateful I was able
to be there. When there was absolutely no coverage on
any Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill local television
station that night, I was taken aback. I checked for
a couple days afterwards. It was like it never
happened. I don't think it was covered at all on CNN
or any national cable. If it was, it was very quick
and glossed over the event. Maybe there was a
15-second blurb on MSNBC, but I only remember being
shocked that so little/no recognition was given for
this very empowering show of citizenry, that took
place just an hour's drive to the west.

Paradoxically, I've noticed when a group of 8 to 30 or
so disorganized people claiming to be anarchists show
up somewhere around here, there's always word about
that, especially if something ridiculous or
embarassing happens that discredits the small group.

Meanwhile, back in 2004, ss I became more disenchanted
with news coverage following my participation in
Greensboro, I attempted to discuss it with people,
which proved even more depressing. The number of
people who either knew nothing at all about it, or
simply knew that "something" had happened in
Greensboro a long time ago, and that they really
didn't "need" to know anything further seemed
incongruous with this area's reputation for
progressive politics. Of course, reputation is always
merely the result of PR, so why should this area be
any different? I recall Ted Haggard's reputation...

(Wikipedia, as usual, is a good place to start if you
don't know about the Greensboro massacre:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greensboro_massacre )

Now in November 2006, this Johnston case holds lots of
issues of civil liberties, and while many are wanting
to lock onto the problems with the "War of Drugs"--of
which Ms. Johnston *is* another innocent victim--"No
Knock" warrants are not used exclusively in
drug-related cases. It is entirely possible this
could have happened over misinformation in a child
pornography case, for example. The primary problem,
therefore, is more global, and deals with what I
personally call "police state" issues. I also believe
that age and gender are gonna shake out of this as
well, if simply by way of angry, injured cops showing
a brave old woman once and for all who is boss: i.e.
the hot-blooded crime of passion.

I've already been told I'm not supposed to have these
thoughts (indirectly, and otherwise)--and even if I do
have them I should not say them outloud--but to me,
that's proof someone had *better* say it: Old women
are not supposed to be able to defend their property
with such decisive action. It's not too hard to
imagine three young middle-aged men not wanting to
have to put up with the career embarassment of having
been shot by an elderly woman, who lived to tell the
tale.

Early in this story's life, many people were all ready
to jump on the "tough drug-dealing granny who got what
she deserved" wagon, but for some reason, it's not OK
to voice a much more likely scenario of men in
authority willfully abusing their power and control.

Anyway, thanks fer readin' my thoughts on the matter.
This person wrote a really nice poem for Ms. Johnston,
if you haven't already seen it:

http://krites.blogspot.com/2006/11/ballad-of-kathryn-johnston.html

Oh, and speaking of that poem, which I believe takes
poetic license with the number of shots fired to make
a point, there *is* still confusion about the number
of shots fired at her. I read today in a few blogs
that her autopsy reports 6 APD bullet wounds to her
body--I have not been able to find a definitive
confirmation on that. Atlanta authorities are
blocking access to public records where ever they can
swing it, so there are delays in information.

it's all about justice...

E.

Cheap talk?
http://voice.yahoo.com