ch-scene - Stuff to Do, week of November 30, 2006

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Stuff to Do, week of November 30, 2006
  • Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 18:36:47 -0500

Thursday, November 30
Conceptual (http://www.myspace.com/conceptualnc)
Marvell Building, Durham

Thursday, November 30
Hearts and Daggers (http://www.heartsanddaggers.com/ )
Raleigh Music Hall, Raleigh

Back before we invented alt-country, they just called it Cowpunk.

Thursday, November 30
The Psychic Paramount (http://www.thepsychicparamount.com/)
In the Year of the Pig (http://www.southernloveprod.com/ityotp.htm)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

In the Year of the Pig are a huge droning throbbing beast of sound; I believe this show is gonna feature *two* drummers, one of them being usual ITYOTP drummer Jenks Miller, and the other being David Cantwell (!). I think they're my new favorite band. Nightlight says this about The Psychic Paramount:

The out-of-towners from the Giant Red Storm of Jupiter are the trio called The Psychic Paramount, whose last album Gamelan into the Mink Supernatural is pretty fucking brilliant and certainly has helped some of us feeling the ever-expanding personal need for insanely frenetic and heavy instrumental rock that modern times dictates unfairly. Guitar Bass and Drums makes it sound so droll, but that's all there is to it, even though you would swear that sixteen twelve headed beasts were all simultaneously playing raw papaya bombs with their steel teeth.

Thursday, November 30
Summer Sorcerer (http://www.myspace.com/summersorcerer)
Blag'ard (http://www.blagard.com/)
Bolo
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Summer Sorceror is Dave Laney from Milemarker, Eddie Sanchez from Fin Fang Foom, one or more of the dudes from Kerbloki, and I'm not even sure who else. Blag'ard is the solo indie-rock project of ex-Capsize 7/Lystra guitarist Joe Taylor.

Thursday, November 30
Calico Haunts (http://www.myspace.com/calicohaunts)
John Howie
Fuse, Chapel Hill

John Howie, Jr. is the longtime frontman of the Two Dollar Pistols, of course, who're the finest country band to come from Chapel Hill since, well, either Hege V or Pine State, depending on your tastes in country.

Thursday, November 30
Dr. Powerful (http://drpowerful.googlepages.com)
Fistfight (http://www.myspace.com/thisisfistfight)
Reservoir, Carrboro

Dr. Powerful are from Sanford & they've got ex-Polvo drummer Eddie Watkins, although their new material is creeping in the direction of Roads to Space Travel.

Friday, December 1
Joe G's Cover Band Explosion
The Flying Anvil, Greensboro

Recognizing that it's way too far to drive from Greensboro to Raleigh to see the Kings Cover-Up, Joe Garrigan (Urinal, a shitload of other bands) has assembled this tribute to the tributes. Partial "lineup" as follows:

The Cure
The Velvet Underground
The Rolling Stones
Whiskey Town
George Harrison
Ben Folds

Friday, December 1
Webb Wilder (http://www.webbwilder.com/)
Hideaway BBQ, Raleigh

Hideaway BBQ is the new BBQ joint/country music emporium in Raleigh (on Capital Blvd north of the Beltline). They appear to be serious about both the BBQ and the country music, and you can apparently readily mix the two via their dinner-and-a-show packages. I haven't been there yet, so I can't comment on the execution of either, but I do know that they've booked an ambitious slate of alt-country luminaries, including the first Triangle appearance by Webb Wilder in I don't know how long.

Friday, December 1
Schooner (http://www.schoonermusic.com)
Future Kings of Nowhere (http://www.thefuturekings.net/)
Kings, Raleigh

Some kind of local pop/rock + DJ night; schedule as follows:
Future Kings - 10-10:45
DJ - 10:45-11:30
Schooner - 11:30-12:30
DJ - 12:30 - 2am

Friday, December 1
S.C.O.T.S. (http://www.scots.com/)
Jule Brown (http://www.julebrown.org)
Lincoln Theater, Raleigh

In case you live in Raleigh, or can't wait until the December 16th SCOTS show at the Cat's Cradle. Jule Brown has a new album out, recorded at least in part by Dean Wareham.

Friday, December 1
Chest Pains (http://www.myspace.com/thechestpains)
Victory Factory
The Cave, Chapel Hill

The Chest Pains are an old-man punkrock band featuring local writer/stay-at-home dad Greg Barbera, ex-Jett Rink guitarist Tim Ristau, and Pleasant drummer Eric Hermann. Victory Factory is are an old-man punkrock band featuring Ron Liberti (Pipe, The Ghost of Rock), Joe Romeo (ex-Fake Swedish) and I dunno whoall else.

Friday, December 1
Future Islands (http://www.myspace.com/futureislands)
DJ Rodney French
Spanish Dancer (http://www.myspace.com/spanishdancerrr)
Valid Core (http://www.myspace.com/validcore)
The Worst (http://www.myspace.com/wearetheworst)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Friday, December 1
Fin Fang Foom (http://www.lovitt.com/artists/finfangfoom.html)
Transportation (http://www.myspace.com/transportation)
Reservoir, Carrboro

It's the 2nd Anniversary of Reservoir, which also makes it some kind of commemoration of the demise of Go Studios Room 4, the beloved rockclub that used to occupy that space. So it's somehow fitting or at least logical that the two bands playing tonight are the bands of Go prime movers Mike Triplett (Fin Fang Foom) and Ben Dunlap (Transportation).

Saturday, December 2
Girl Talk (http://girl-talk.net/)
Robo Sapien (http://www.gorobosapien.com/)
Kerbloki (http://www.kerbloki.com/)
Ricky Dollars (http://www.myspace.com/rickydollars)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Tim Ross of Tuba Frenzy/all those Hell dance parties put this one together. Girl Talk is from up north somewhere & leverages the awesome power of cut-n-paste to assemble mega-funky dance jams from the tiny atomic bits of 1000s of other songs.

Saturday, December 2
The Bravery (http://www.thebravery.com/)
Radio 4 (http://www.gernblandsten.com)
Lincoln Theater, Raleigh

Sunday, December 3
The Nein (http://www.thenein.com/)
WXDU 88.7 FM, Durham

The Nein claim to be a big dumb loud rockband, but there's more to it than that. They really hit their stride a year or two ago when they melded Finn Cohen's kinda plaintive vocals, Casey Burns's massive metalloid bass, and Dale Flattum's loops & samples. Since then, both Casey & Dale have moved away, and the Nein have been forced to get a little lighter & more improvisational. Case in point: fill-in noisemaker Chuck Johnson can't make it (did I read somewhere he's moving away?), so they've drafted Crowmeat Bob to make noise of a whole nother stripe. No telling exactly how that's gonna turn out, which is half the fun, of course. 5:00 p.m. 88.7 FM or wxdu.org.

Sunday, December 3
Double Negative (http://www.myspace.com/thedoublenegative)
Cross Laws (http://www.myspace.com/crosslaws)
The Obtruders (http://www.obtruders.com/)
Fist of the North Star
Concrete Bombers (http://www.myspace.com/concretebombers)
Berkeley Cafe, Raleigh

Big hardcore show at the Berkeley Cafe. I for one welcome the return of the 80s hardcore scene; maybe my memory is fuzzy, but I remember the kids actually giving a shit about politics back then.

Sunday, December 3
Birds and Batteries (http://www.birdsandbatteries.com/)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Monday, December 4
The Sword
Kylesa (http://www.kylesa.com/)
Thunderlip (http://www.thunderlip.com/)
Kings, Raleigh

Tuesday, December 5
Cities (http://www.citiesmusic.com)
Cinemechanica (http://www.cinemechanica.com/)
Shaking Hands With Danger (http://www.myspace.com/shakinghandswithdanger)
A Rooster for the Masses (http://www.myspace.com/aroosterforthemasses)
The Flying Anvil, Greensboro

Cities are the post-post-postpunk band from Chapel Hill. Cinemechanica are mathstars from Athens. Shaking Hands With Danger is a Triad band featuring ex-members of Kudzu Wish, All Astronauts, and I dunno who-all else. A Rooster for the Masses are the post-post-postpunk synth/dance rockband from Raleigh. If you've been working your way through Simon Reynolds' "Rip It Up and Start Again," this is the show for you.

Tuesday, December 5
Pernice Brothers (http://www.pernicebrothers.com/)
Elvis Perkins (http://www.elvisperkins.net/)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Wednesday, December 6
Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin (http://www.sslyby.com/)
The Changes (http://www.the-changes.com)
Can Joann (http://www.canjoann.com/)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Wednesday, December 6
Cinemechanica (http://www.cinemechanica.com/)
Places to Live
The Oranges Band (http://www.theorangesband.com)
Kings, Raleigh

Thursday, December 7
The Great Cover-Up (http://www.kingsbarcade.com)
Kings, Raleigh

This is the 8th Annual Great Cover-Up, wherein local bands (and/or ad-hoc groupings of local musicians) put together short "tribute" sets to their favorite bands. Some people wear more wigs than other people, but nearly everybody goes absurdly all-out music-wise, so it's nearly always a good time.

You don't get to know in advance who's playing when, or whom they're covering, so it's a crapshoot; odds from previous years indicate that if you're gonna miss one night, the first night might be the one to miss, but there've been at least a couple of years where missing night one would've meant missing the best bands of the weekend. Can you risk it?

Of course, now that Kings is half-nonsmoking (no smoking before midnight), you should be able to survive a 3-night stint without doing quite so much damage to yrself.

More details from Kings: Your favorite (only the best, of course) local bands transform themselves into THEIR favorite bands for an evening, and play a short set in character. As much fun as you can have in a rock club. Past years have seen performances honoring Tom Petty, Devo, The Who, X, Danzig, Pink Floyd, the Rolling Stones, Thin Lizzy, Lynard Skynard, Black Sabbath...you get the picture. Proceeds to benefit InterAct and the Wake County Literacy Council. and the NC Food Bank. ADMISSION IS $5 plus CANNED OR DRY GOODS DONATION FOR EASTERN NC FOOD BANK!

Thursday, December 7
Simple (http://www.myspace.com/httpwwwmyspacecomsimple)
7th Level Magic User
Secret Language (http://www.myspace.com/secretlanguage)
Fuse, Chapel Hill

Thursday, December 7
Asobi Seksu (http://www.asobiseksu.com/)
Glissade (http://www.myspace.com/glissade)
Veronique Diabolique (http://www.veroniquediabolique.com/)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Thursday, December 7
Erie Choir (http://www.eriechoir.com)
Ghost to Falco (http://www.purevolume.com/GhosttoFalco)
The Upsidedown Stars (http://www.rabbot.net)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Nightlight says:

Erie Choir is Eric Roehrig's song-smith revelry, rotating cast, earnest voice-strum interplay, and warmth. Ghost to Falco (ex-Alarmist) will rumble in with guitar, this time hopefully with bass and drums. Not that Rosemary-Village shaking rumble that I envision in my sleep, but a more subtle and inward rumble, like the rumble of a belly at a disturbing lunchtime murmur. Expect this show to wind outward and inward. Begins a thirteen day tour for GTF at our very own Nightlight. This Portland, OR band features Eric Crespo, formerly of Burlington, NC, who has stopped through these parts in the past. So the Erics's bring up the rear, and The UDS open. The Upsidedown Stars are of Robot vs Rabbit, a duo formed from the trio. Expect some seriously ear-splitting thudge slup grog sound, like fatass goatboy cigar burps. Pretty gross huh? I promise you will not be disappointed if volume is sought. Overall, however, this show covers a musical spectrum not often available in one night. We consider ourselves grateful. 10 PM $5

Thursday, December 7
Mingus Young (http://www.mingusyoung.com/)
Seepeoples (http://www.seepeoples.com/)
Death of the Sun (http://www.myspace.com/deathofthesun)
Wetlands, Chapel Hill

Death of the Sun is a new band featuring Eric Wallen (Ben Davis & the Jetts, ex-My Dear Ella), Kuki Kooks (North Elementary, ex-Fashion Design) & some other folks I dunno as well.

Friday, December 8
The Comas (http://www.thecomas.com)
1986 (http://www.myspace.com/1986music)
Schooner (http://www.schoonermusic.com)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

If the Comas aren't passing the torch to Schooner, then they'd better start running a little faster, lest Schooner snatch it.

Friday, December 8
The Trekky Yuletide Orchestra (http://www.trekkyrecords.com/xmasfront.html)
Marijuana Wolf (http://www.myspace.com/marijuanawolf)
Adam Thorn (http://www.myspace.com/thetopbuttons)
Citified (http://www.citifiedband.org/)
snmnmnm (http://www.snmnmnm.com/)
The Flying Anvil, Greensboro

Chapel Hill's Trekky Records have just released their second Christmas album; this time around, though different songs feature different members of the Trekky stable, the CD as a whole is credited to the Trekky Yuletide Orchestra, which may or may not be the same Trekky allstars/supergroup that's known as Auxiliary House during the rest of the year.

Friday, December 8
Spider Bags (http://www.myspace.com/spiderbags)
Stone Fox
Calico Haunts (http://www.myspace.com/calicohaunts)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Friday, December 8
The Gondoliers (http://www.myspace.com/comeseethegondoliers)
Bridges and Powerlines (http://www.bridgesandpowerlines.com/)
Malamondos (http://www.malamondos.com/)
Wetlands, Chapel Hill

Saturday, December 9
Dirty5thirty (http://www.myspace.com/dirty5thirty)
Urban Sophisticates (http://www.urbansophisticates.com/)
Social Memory Complex (http://www.myspace.com/socialmemorycomplex)
L in Japanese (http://www.myspace.com/linjapanesemusic)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Saturday, December 9
Twilighter (http://www.twilighterband.com/)
Regina Hexaphone (http://www.reginahexaphone.com)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Saturday, December 9
Bivins, Davis, and Ghaphery (http://www.umbrellarecordings.com/release.php?id=12)
Uncle Onion
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Nightlight says:

Mixed Improv Styles, tonight's your pleasure. Bivins, Davis & Ghaphery is the lineup of the same name who released an improv jazz album on Umbrella recordings called Impermanence last year. A softly deft coalescing reel of interplay between sax, guitar, and drums. I am a huge sucker for this stuff - best chore music around, assuming you are raking leaves indoors or something equally obtuse. Uncle Onion is the debut performance by local musician Allen Bell (Boner Machine, Anazina Mirage, Boyzone Panevino-era). Solo guitar plus formless vocalizations and intricate meanderings through hard mossy ground. Improvised, yet guileless. 10 PM $5

Saturday, December 9
Trachtenburg Family Slideshow Players (http://www.slideshowplayers.com/)
Raleigh Music Hall, Raleigh

Saturday, December 9
Neighborhood Knife Fight
Snatches of Pink (http://www.snatchesofpink.com/)
Brothers Grim (http://www.myspace.com/brothersgrimraleigh)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

This is the debut of Neighborhood Knife Fight, which consists of Reese from the Dirty Little Heaters, plus some of the ex-members of the Spinns. Expect bluesy shouted badass garage-rock to the Nth degree.

--------> http://www.trianglerock.com <--------