ch-scene - Re: self promotion

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "Ken M" <snz AT mindspring.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: self promotion
  • Date: 10 Nov 2006 05:14:44 -0800

I'm replying to Hep and Matt and everyone who's interested: Frustrated
at our country's direction and our inability to donate enough $$ to
change things, Tom and I decided to record a "non-agressive" protest
song in August (which is obviously just a remake of Tom's song Put A
Lid On It). We thought MOR conservatives might be swayed by a song
that appears to be less threatening than Green Day, who I love, but
would scare my mom.

Tom is an avid blogger at Firedoglake and had become acquainted with
other "bloggers" who turned out to be Rickie Lee Jones and Howie Klein
(ex prez of Reprise and Sire Records and currently BlueAmerica blog and
DownWithTyranny). Within a week of rewriting the lyrics and
intra-blog brainstorming, RLJ was recording female vocals and Howie was
forming a new "label." By late August, we had 75 personalized versions
in the hands of progressive candidates all over the country. Some put
them on websites, some had videos made by another blogger in Minnesota,
or made their own. Several made radio ads and some TV. All of our
work was done for free, so that the saved money could be poured into
media buys. The poorest candidates (or non Rahm supported candidates)
were recipients of BlueAmerica ad buys, funded ala-Move On by small
donors. We followed the Dean 50 state plan.

By mid October, Blue America had raised nearly $500K and their ads were
obviously making a difference. I can't really explain everything at
8AM: If you are really interested in testimonials (ie: we helped force
one GOP candidate to spend $1M in a "safe district") and press about
the song, go here: http://www.maxwellmosher.com and hit the "PRESS"
link.

If you want Howie's version of the story, go here:
http://www.myspace.com/haveyouhadenough

If you want to see a snappy pic of Tom and I with Nancy Pelosi last
Sunday, go here: http://www.myspace.com/maxwellmosher

I'm not saying that our ads changed any elections, but they were part
of a national "stratagy," mostly based on Dean's 50 state strategy and
fermented in the blogosphere to support candidates in EVERY district,
even solid Republican districts. We would never have beaten Don
Sherwood, Foley, DeLay, etc, without their self destruction, but in
'04, we might have not even had candidates running in their "secure
districts" when scandal broke. We still may beat Robin Hayes and we
helped John Hall, Kirsten Gillebrand, Chris Murphy and others who had
little or no resources.

Let me put it this way: I used to work for the Dems from 85-88..
national strategy was non existant. Our goal, oft ridiculed, was to
win congress and STOP BUSH. We did it!!! Next step is to bolster the
national strategy, remove the "establishment Dems" and take the
presidency in '08.

>From a guy who just 18 months ago thought armed revolt was more likely
than a fair election, this is very encouraging. And yes, I did the
"Keep Judge Allen Baddour" jingle. All the candidates for that
election were frankly great: Allen is my friend and was the recipient
of a goofy jingle.

Back to the Kool Ade.

Ken M