ch-scene - stuff to do, week of November 10, 2006

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: stuff to do, week of November 10, 2006
  • Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2006 21:43:37 -0500

Things you need to know, before I get to the list:

1) Big art opening at Fuse on Sunday from 6-9, featuring art by local rockers. Big article in the Indy all about it: http://www.indyweek.com/gyrobase/Content?oid=oid%3A39854 _+_ http://www.myspace.com/minussoundresearch

2) Joanna Newsom is playing at a big institutional venue in Greensboro on Saturday the 18th. The show is being promoted by the Flying Anvil, and I'm told Chaz has tickets at his store.

The list:

Friday, November 10
Charalambides (http://www.flash.net/~whother/artist.html)
Josephine Foster (http://www.100songsising.com)
Chuck Johnson
Datahata
DJ One Duran
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Nightlight says (hey! I just got an email that said they're going NONSMOKING! fuckin'-A awesome!):

Charalambides features Christina Carter, who turned our heads back on Sunday Sept 17th, that fateful day. Christina Carter and Tom Carter explore a singular form of interplay amongst spiritual soul-lifting forms and formlessness through developed interplay and a respect for chance. Songs get worked for skeletal structures to include and then exclude the haunting vocalizations of Christina while the masterful guitarwork of Christina and Tom is laid bare between and amongst slight noises like bells and wind. A true treat for the Nightlight faithful. We also have Chuck Johnson, who is a local treasure, but I heard he's moving to NYC, so this might be one of your last chances to see Chuck so accessibly. Chuck has offered a "mystical drone set", which sounds very Middle-Earth to me. Elves, dwarves, and Chuck's masterful work at creating and sustaining subtly nuanced yet very pronounced musical passages using whatever he pleases, including but not limited to guitar, homemade electronic devices, and a mysterious suitcase. [. . .] After we relax and get unspooked from Chuck and Charalambides, a special appearance by former Chapel Hill resident/now ASHEVILLE party lover ZEKE GRAVES, who will be rolling down from Asheville to twiddle our dee-lite-alicious twizzler dispenser. One Duran spins your fucking hed off. Right round the turntable out comes thick deep beats and funky ass hip-hop glory. Markus Maerk - organized Signal Music Fest and now we get him for a night.

Friday, November 10
Maple Stave (http://www.maplestave.com)
Red Collar (http://www.myspace.com/redcollarmusic)
In the Year of the Pig (http://www.southernloveprod.com/ityotp.htm)
Joe & Jo's, Durham

This is the beginning of the weekend-long celebration of Chaz's one-year anniversary as a music purveyor in Durham. It's also a Maple Stave CD-release party (finally!) for their EP Two. And of course you also get the Fugazi-influenced prole-rock of Red Collar, and the tiny-animal-hat wearing wall-of-throb noisejam that is In The Year of the Pig.

Friday, November 10
Erie Choir (http://www.eriechoir.com)
Audubon Park (http://audubonpark.blogspot.com)
Pleasant (http://www.pleasantmusic.com)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

This is a dual CD-release show for both Audubon Park & Erie Choir; perhaps more remarkably, both CDs are apparently full-lengths, rather than the EPs that both bands have made their names/reputations with over the past 2-3 years. Can either one sustain "the mood" for more than 4-5 songs running? Show up, pay yr $10, and take home yr complimentary copies of both discs so as to find out.

In case that last paragraph wound up mis-construable: Erie Choir & Audubon Park are two of my favorite bands in the Triangle, and the 6 EPs (if you count Erie Choir's contribution to the 3x4 comp) they've released between them have been among my very favorite CDs of the past few years. They've managed to avoid giving me advance copies of the new discs, but even without having heard them I'll wager that a couple of slots on my year-end top-10 list will be filled tonight.

Friday, November 10
Weisstronauts (http://www.weissy.com/weisstronauts/)
Killer Filler (http://www.myspace.com/killerfiller)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

A double dose of instrumental garage/surf/whatever mayhem from Boston's Weisstronauts & locals Killer Filler.

Friday, November 10
Hearts and Daggers (http://www.heartsanddaggers.com/ )
The Tripple Twins
The Della Rounds
Spader (http://www.myspace.com/spadermusic)
Kings, Raleigh

Friday, November 10
The Bleeding Hearts (http://www.thebleedinghearts.net/home.html)
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Friday, November 10
Two Dollar Guitar (http://www.smellslikerecords.com/artists/tdg/index.html)
Reservoir, Carrboro

Saturday, November 11
Wigg Report (http://www.synchronizedswim.org)
Beloved Binge (http://www.myspace.com/belovedbinge)
Charles Latham (http://www.myspace.com/sircharleslatham)
Chaz's Bull City Records, Durham

This is an all-afternoon extravaganza; in addition to the bands I've listed, Chaz is also promising solo sets by Sean Murphy & Jamie McLendon (both of Dom Casual), plus food & god knows what else, all as part of his 1st Anniversary party for himself and the shop.

Saturday, November 11
Richard Buckner (http://www.richardbuckner.com/)
Two Dollar Guitar (http://www.smellslikerecords.com/artists/tdg/index.html)
The Flying Anvil, Greensboro

This is an early (7:00 p.m. and they mean that) show. Richard Buckner has been making his sparse singer/songwriter music for 20-odd years; the last couple have been on Merge, and he's been getting more into creating ambient guitar soundscapes. I saw Two Dollar Guitar once, but it was from the street outside the Lizard and Snake, so really all I saw was the back of Steve Shelley's head.

Saturday, November 11
Across the Elementary (http://www.myspace.com/acrosstheelementary)
Ingenue
European Ambulance
Above the Ground (http://www.myspace.com/abovetheground)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Nightlight says this one is all acoustic & most/all solo, and it starts at 8:00 (you're encouraged to get a sammich, and I have to heartily concur with that).

Saturday, November 11
Gob Iron (http://66.113.175.214/discs/index-gobiron.htm)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Gob Iron is the name of the new collaboration between Jay Farrar (Uncle Tupelo, Son Volt) and Anders Parker (Varnaline, ex-Raleighite); it's all about revising/re-imagining the American folk songbook, or something.

Saturday, November 11
Natasha (http://www.myspace.com/natashatheband)
Le Weekend (http://www.myspace.com/mattwkalb)
Noncanon (http://www.myspace.com/noncanon)
Torch Marauder's Grappling Hook (http://home.att.net/~sandydave/torchhome.html)
The Scene of the Crime Rovers (http://www.myspace.com/sceneofthecrimerovers)
Duke Coffeehouse, Durham

This is the annual WXDU Fall Benefit. Every year we (OK, well, mostly Herrick) struggle mightily to overcome the convoluted overbooked work schedules of the Triangle's musicians in order to bring you the freshest possible lineup of bands your friends will be asking you about 9 months from now. I'd give you a list of bands who've played previous benefits, but it'd be so long & so studded with the names of yr favorite bands that you'd probably collapse in tears for having missed 'em.

This year we've got Natasha, who formed 2 years ago at Carolina Friends School, played a handful of gigs, recorded and released a knockout CD of crazy low-fi Le Tigre-style synth party/punk jams, and promptly broke up. Later they realized the horrible error of their ways, and now they're devoted to rocking you into & out of pants, yours or someone else's.

Le Weekend is the brand new (as in, this is their first or maybe second gig, depending on who you ask) band of Matt Kalb, who plays guitar in Audubon Park & who sang & wrote half the songs in the late lamented Hotel Motel. He's got various local rock superstars backing him on this, so if sparks don't fly, it's probably not our fault.

Noncanon are a gtr/drums duo featuring Danny Vaughn (ex-Mothlight) and Rob Koegler (Cheap Heat). Danny sings and plays guitar that veers from blues to free jazz to Chrome shards and back again. Rob plays jazz-inflected drums with a light touch & a good ear for where Danny might be wandering.

Torch Marauder's Grappling Hook is the culmination of everything the Caped One has been working for all these years. He's traded in the TV sets for Evan Rowe (Maple Stave), Jenny Greer & Dave Heller (both ex-Analogue, Cheap Heat), and the consensus seems to be that all the scifi/fantasy subject matter is elevated from confusing/amusing dadaist prank to the level of genuine emotional resonance, however improbable that may seem.

As if that weren't enough, we've been promised a visit by Durham's own avant-garde marching band, the Scene of the Crime Rovers.

Saturday, November 11
Jimmy & The Teasers (http://www.geocities.com/booze1031/teasers.html)
The Cogburns (http://www.cogburns.com/)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Saturday, November 11
The Heartless Bastards (http://www.theheartlessbastards.com/)
Blag'ard (http://www.blagard.com/)
Wetlands, Chapel Hill

Saturday, November 11
Detroit Cobras (http://www.motorcityrocks.com/cobras.htm)
The King Khan & BBQ Show (http://marksultan.com/kingkhanandbbqshow.html)
Taylor Hollingsworth (http://taylorhollingsworth.com/)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Sunday, November 12
Bowerbirds (http://www.bowerbirds.org)
WXDU 88.7 FM, Durham

Bowerbirds are primarily Phil Moore (ex-Ticonderoga) and Beth Tacular; locally they're often joined by Mark Paulson (also ex-Ticonderoga) and Brad & Phil Cook (ex-DeYarmond Edison). I actually have no idea which/how many of those folks will be playing today, but I'm fairly confident it'll be magical regardless. Bowerbirds songs make an initial impression of fragility, 'til you realize they bend, but never break. Acoustic guitar, drum, accordion, maybe violin, trombone, whatever seems to fit. 5:00 p.m. 88.7 FM or wxdu.org.

Sunday, November 12
Les Georges Leningrad (http://www.lesgeorgesleningrad.org/)
Future Islands (http://www.myspace.com/futureislands)
Cantwell, Gomez, Jordan (http://www.cantwellgomezandjordan.com)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

I saw Les Georges Leningrad once; were they the Montreal spazz/electro crusty punks whose singer/keyboardist appeared to be in perpetual fear of a wardrobe malfunction? Her apparent preoccupation with her decolletage kinda undercut their radical posturing, but it was a good time nevertheless.

Future Islands are a synth/dance pop weirdness band from downstate; they used to exist in another dimension as Art Lord & the Self Portraits.

Cantwell Gomez & Jordan deserve a better introduction than I can give them; they're one of those bands who can recharge yr "seen it all & anyway too tired to leave the house" batteries over & over & over again, assuming you get a charge out of seeing three people play crazy fucked-up music because they love it or they don't know any other kind of music to play.

Sunday, November 12
Ben Davis + The Jetts (http://www.lovitt.com/artists/bendavis.html)
The Cassettes (http://www.thecassettes.com)
Summer Sorcerer (http://www.myspace.com/summersorcerer)
Reservoir, Carrboro

Ben Davis you know about; he was in Sleepytime Trio & Milemarker, but now he's slightly more settled & makes moody piano-driven artpop with a rotating cast of local rockers. Summer Sorceror is some kind of local supergroup featuring folks from Milemarker & probably Kerbloki (since all local supergroups seem to involve someone from Kerbloki nowadays).

Monday, November 13
Flicker (http://www.chapel-hill.nc.us/flicker)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Flicker is the monthlyish short-film festival started by Norwood Cheek back in the 90s to showcase short films shot on film, as opposed to the by-then-omnipresent video. Norwood long since moved to LA, but he's actually going to be in town to host this episode of Flicker, which is devoted to screening shorts from *other* regional Flickers around the country. Show starts at 8:00-ish, and there will be, as always, sweet treats & door prizes.

Monday, November 13
Blue Cheer (http://bluecheer.us)
Birds of Avalon (http://www.myspace.com/birdsofavalon)
Adult Film Makers (http://www.myspace.com/adultfilmmakers)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Yes, *that* Blue Cheer, or rather 2/3rds of them. I forget which 2/3rds, but we're not talking rocket science here, we're talking "Summertime Blues" and "Parchment Farm."

Also on the bill, Raleigh psych/rock supergroup Birds of Avalon, and the Adult Film Makers, in which Ghost of Rocks/Bad Checks drummer Rock Forbes steps out from behind the kit & reveals a pretty-damn-good Jaggeresque singing voice. Go Rock, Go.

Monday, November 13
Cities (http://www.citiesmusic.com)
So Many Dynamos (http://www.somanydynamos.org/)
Eyes to Space (http://www.eyestospace.net/)
Grasshopper (http://www.ahhgrasshopper.com/)
Wetlands, Chapel Hill

Local young-turk indie-rockers Cities, along with even-younger-turk indie-rockers Grasshopper, nerdrockers Eyes to Space, and some cats from out of town.

Tuesday, November 14
North Mississippi All-Stars (http://www.nmsallstars.com/)
Spencer Dickinson (http://www.yeproc.com/artist_info.php?artistId=10902)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

North Mississippi All-Stars is the band of Luther & Cody Dickinson, who're the sons of [legendary] Memphis producer Jim Dickinson. Spencer Dickinson is what you get when you throw those boys in a van with Jon Spencer. Remember him? Blues Explosion! I still cringe.

Tuesday, November 14
Califone (http://www.flydaddy.com/bands/califone/califone_fr.htm)
The Judy Green (http://thejudygreen.com)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, November 14
Video Hippos (http://www.videohippos.com)
Planecrash
Dig Shovel Dig (http://www.digshoveldig.com/)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Nightlight rambled:

Asheville couch testers bring toe-tapping keyboard slag with bass/drums feroxity and not an ounce of pretense, despite the fact that their 7 Inch Record on Lookalive records was titled Recent Works From the Most Important Composers in the Universe. For fans of cheap bourbon and infrequent shaving (legs or face). Hype reggae farcical indescribable theatrics - weird vocalizations and spooky in your face shoe-untying madness. Mark and Ted, bass and drums, they both sing (yell/slurp), and Ted plays the keyboard with his toes. I love it, and Mark turned me on to Lightning Bolt soon after they released Ride the Skies, and for that I am eternally grateful. They requested Plane Crash - Stuart will be going back to the old format, with the TVs and turntables and a lot of loud ass shit. Videohippos - WTF? VIDEOHIPPOS from Baltimore (home of John Waters and sludge) are going to be in NC for a week doing some shows, wat a supwise - 2 piece !drummer+ guitar! with video art pieces that are projected onto their bodies along with prerecorded keyboards/loops so this is like some kind of weird pairing here tonite. Wow what luck. :::::: part of the wham city art collective in Baltimore::::::::::: Sounds like the freaks come out to night, thanks Whodini! You will leave overstimulated, for sure.

Wednesday, November 15
North Elementary (http://www.northelementary.com)
Now It's Overhead (http://www.nowitsoverhead.com/)
The Never (http://www.trekkyrecords.com/never.html)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Now It's Overhead is the band of Athens producer/Bright Eyes collaborator/nice guy Andy Lemaster, and the ladies of Azure Ray. The Never are a baroque harmony-pop/rock band who recently released a concept album called Antarctica that comes with a picture book about some kids returning a nuke, or something, I dunno, my copy didn't come with the book. And who would they return a nuclear weapon to? Maybe better to just bury it in the woods.

North Elementary are still pumping out the psych-pop hits, only now they've also taken on a side-job of spawning an endless number of spinoff bands (recent additions to that list: Simple, The Rose Marie).

Thursday, November 16
IV Thieves (http://www.myspace.com/ivthieves)
Velvet (http://www.velvetpop.com)
Bang Bang Bang (http://www.bangbangbangrock.com)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Friday, November 17
Micah P. Hinson (http://www.myspace.com/micahphinson)
Tennis and the Mennonites (http://www.tennisandthemennonites.com)
The Rose Marie (http://www.myspace.com/ryanleedunlap)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Tennis & the Mennonites have a brand-new album out; it's 18 songs in about 35 minutes, and it includes most of the hits from their earlier limited-release EP, including "Magnets," which is a Perfect Song. Most bands never get to write a Perfect Song, so even if T&theM spent the rest of their careers doing Mariah Carey covers, they'd still be ahead of the game.

The Rose Marie are, I'm told, some sort of North Elementary spinoff. The one song I've heard, "Breathing All Wrong," is a sort of mournful yet weirdly stately number, but I've no idea whether it's at all representative.

Friday, November 17
$2 Pistols
Mason Smith Band (http://masonsmithband.com/)
Nola (http://www.myspace.com/nolaband)
Bickett Gallery, Raleigh

There's apparently a show of Johnny Cash photos up at Bickett, and this therefore is the Johnny Cash Tribute show. Mason Smith Band are from Wilmington & that's all I know. $2 Pistols y'all know already; John Howie Jr's voice can only get lower & more heartfelt as the years pile upon it.

Nola are a youngish country band from Raleigh & I love their song "Hey" every time I hear it; it's in the player somewhere, go look for it.

Friday, November 17
The Billy Carter Band
The Ex-Members (http://www.myspace.com/theexmembers)
Boyskout (http://www.boyskout.com)
Kings, Raleigh

Friday, November 17
Ear Pwr (http://www.myspace.com/earpwr)
Blacks on Blondes (http://www.myspace.com/douglasbrazilandafroamericanfriends)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Saturday, November 18
Cursive (http://www.saddle-creek.com)
Fin Fang Foom (http://www.lovitt.com/artists/finfangfoom.html)
Jeremy Enigk (http://www.myspace.com/jeremyenigk)
The Cops (http://www.thecops.com.au/)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Saturday, November 18
The Ex-Members (http://www.myspace.com/theexmembers)
Boyskout (http://www.boyskout.com)
Marce (http://www.marceonline.com/)
Duke Coffeehouse, Durham

It bears repeating a few dozen more times, since there was a bit of a gap in there: The Ex-Members are the new name for the final 3-piece incarnation of Gerty, and they're still bringing the danceable 80s-inflected indie-rock.

Saturday, November 18
Ahleuchatistas (http://www.ahleuchatistas.com/go.php)
Doctor Oakroot (http://www.doctoroakroot.com/)
Gutbucket (http://www.gutweb.com)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Ahleuchatistas make total ADD gtr/bass/drums avant-jazz instrumental mayhem; it sounds like it's recursing infinitely yet it never winds up in the same place. I think that's called Relativity. Gutbucket are jazzbos from elsewhere. Bluesman Doctor Oakroot was playing the Skylight long before it developed its Nightlight alter-ego, and if you can't quite suss why he's on the bill, the fact that he makes all his own instruments out of household items may be reason enough.

Saturday, November 18
The Sammies (http://www.myspace.com/thesammies)
Elevator Action (http://www.elevatoractionband.com/)
The Artichokes (http://www.myspace.com/theartichokes)