ch-scene - stuff to do, week of September 22, 2006

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: stuff to do, week of September 22, 2006
  • Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 22:29:49 -0400

Friday, September 22
Eric Bachmann (http://www.ericbachmann.com/)
Richard Buckner (http://www.richardbuckner.com/)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Eric Bachmann used to be in Archers of Loaf, way back in the 90s, but I'd wager at least as many folks know him now as the hoarse-voiced mastermind behind Crooked Fingers, author of the best "When You Were Mine" cover ever laid to wax. Even though he released multiple "solo" albums under his Barry Black *and* Crooked Fingers alter-egos, he's just released his first proper self-attributed solo album.

Richard Buckner has been writing & recording his by-and-large bleak songs for, what, I dunno, 20 years or more? If you had to pick a single descriptive, maybe "folk" would do, but honestly, I think "bleak" was close enough.

Friday, September 22
Recess (http://www.dyss.net/nightlight/)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Every month or so, Robert Biggers (The Nein, Erie Choir, Audubon Park, ex-Cold Sides) procrastinates on either the booking or the promoting of Recess, the monthly experimental-music night he curates/hosts at Nightlight. The idea is that local folks step outside their bands/milieus to stretch their own ears & chops, and thereby yours as well.

A quick check of RB's MySpace (http://www.myspace.com/rbiggers) indicates that the Durham 21st-century composition/performance collective Pulsoptional will be in the house. In order to step outside of their collective comfort-zones, I think they're gonna have to play an hour of booty bass.

Oh yeah, Biggie emailed & said that Daniel Hart (Physics of Meaning violinist/songwriter) is also on the bill.

Friday, September 22
Bombadil (http://www.bombadilmusic.com/)
Auxiliary House (http://www.trekkyrecords.com/auxhouse.html)
Beirut (http://www.beirutband.com/)
Duke Coffeehouse, Durham

Lazily quoting press:

"While it may sound like an entire Balkan gypsy orchestra playing modern songs as mournful ballads and upbeat marches, Beirut's first album, Gulag Orkestar, is largely the work of one 19-year-old Albuquerque native, Zach Condon, with assistance by Jeremy Barnes (Neutral Milk Hotel, A Hawk and a Hacksaw) and Heather Trost (A Hawk and a Hacksaw). Horns, violins, cellos, ukuleles, mandolins, glockenspiels, drums, tambourines, congas, organs, pianos, clarinets and accordions (no guitars on this album!) all build and break the melodies under Condon's deep-voiced crooner vocals, swaying to the Eastern European beats like a drunken 12-member ensemble that has fallen in love with The Magnetic Fields, Talking Heads and Neutral Milk Hotel"

They may or may not be touring with large numbers of people. They *are* on Ba-Da-Bing!, the label started by ex-WXDU/Mergester Ben Goldberg.

Friday, September 22
Red Collar (http://www.myspace.com/redcollarmusic)
The People Under the Bridge (http://www.duckonbike.com/artistinfo.asp?artistid=378)
Wetlands, Chapel Hill

Saturday, September 23
The Moaners (http://www.themoaners.com/)
Spider Bags (http://www.myspace.com/spiderbags)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

The Moaners is the stripped-down gtr/drums blues-rock outfit of ex-Trailer Bride frontwoman Melissa Swingle. She was always a total badass, even way back when she sang that song about trying to get her VW microbus fixed, but nowadays, with those bugeye sunglasses & vicious slide guitar sound, she's so intimidating you may need to step outside.

Spider Bags are a country-rock band with a whole album's worth of songs about being a no-good pissed-off drunk motherfucker.

Saturday, September 23
Beirut (http://www.beirutband.com/)
Venice is Sinking (http://www.veniceissinking.net)
The Flying Anvil, Greensboro

In case you couldn't make last night's show, you can drive to Greensboro to catch Ba-Da-Bing's Beirut at the Flying Anvil.

Saturday, September 23
The Long Winters (http://www.thelongwinters.com/)
Menomena (http://www.menomena.com/)
What Made Milwaukee Famous (http://www.myspace.com/whatmademilwaukeefamous)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Sunday, September 24
Carrboro Music Festival (http://carrboromusicfestival.com/)
nearly everywhere, Carrboro

The Carrboro Music Festival returns for the Nth straight year (it used to be the Fete de la Musique, but that fell by the wayside in the wake of Carrboro Alderman Mark Dorosin's French-baiting Daily Show appearance a few years ago). It's impossible for me to go through the massive list of performers (website here: http://carrboromusicfestival.com/) and pick out the ones I'd recommend, because I don't really savor the notion of 180 nasty emails from the bands I'd omit, so instead I'll recommend either skimming the schedule for names you recognize, or just hitting OCSC for the show there.

Sunday, September 24
Ashley Stove (http://www.ashleystove.com)
Victory Factory
The Rosebuds (http://www.therosebuds.com/)
The Hundredaires
Chuck Johnson
Orange County Social Club, Carrboro

This is part of the monthlong celebration of the 5th Anniversary of Orange County Social Club. The big newses of this show are the Ashley Stove reunion, natch, but also the debuts of Victory Factory (Ron Liberti, Joe Romeo, Rock Forbes, I dunno if also others) and the Hundredaires (new band of Adam Price, ex-Mayflies USA). The show starts sometime in the afternoon, as it's also OCSC's contribution to the daylong Carrboro Music Festival.

Sunday, September 24
Facedowninshit (http://www.buyolympia.com/crimethinc/plastic.html)
Fuck The Facts (http://shop.relapse.com/artist/artist.aspx?ArtistID=10172)
Unearthly Trance (http://shop.relapse.com/artist/artist.aspx?ArtistID=10162)
Giant
Buildings To Dust (http://www.myspace.com/buildingstodust)
The Flying Anvil, Greensboro

It's the Relapse Records Contamination Tour. Facedowninshit have been based at various times in Greensboro & Portland; they make huge swirling grinding hardcore/metal that comes from a core of genuine vulnerability/emotion.

Fuck the Facts are from Ottawa.

Buildings to Dust are the new band of Chris Newsom (Feces for War Paint, Uwharria, des_ark roadmaster).

Sunday, September 24
Menomena (http://www.menomena.com/)
Megafaun (http://www.myspace.com/megafaun)
Black Socks (http://www.myspace.com/blacksocks)
Kings, Raleigh

Megafaun is the new band featuring most of the ex-members of DeYarmond Edison.

Monday, September 25
Simple (http://www.myspace.com/httpwwwmyspacecomsimple)
Pleasant (http://www.pleasantmusic.com)
The Library, Chapel Hill

If the next Deerhoof album winds up being named "Save the Monster," you'll have Pleasant to thank. Not that their variety of lustrous indie-rock-ism is particularly Deerhoofy nowadays; they've lately miraculously transmuted their early Pixiesisms into a far more lush, textured, nuanced beast. But they did open for Deerhoof a few weeks ago, and the 'hoof were sufficiently amused to proclaim their intention to steal a Pleasant lyric for album-naming purposes.

Monday, September 25
Hex Machine (http://www.myspace.com/hexmachine)
Cough (http://www.myspace.com/cough666)
Caltrop (http://www.myspace.com/caltropband)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

This is a somewhat late show, as it will commence after the weekly Nightlight Monday Night Trivia. It's also an indisputably Heavy show; Caltrop are, near as I can tell, the heaviest band in the Triangle, with absurdly sludgy & unstoppable riffs. Stand near the door; you'll want a clear escape route when the roof caves in.

Cursory internet listening suggests that Richmond's Hex Machine & Cough are working the same sludgy side of the street.

Tuesday, September 26
Lovewhip (http://www.lovewhip.net)
Natasha (http://www.myspace.com/natashatheband)
Justin Peake (http://www.folkbot.net)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Lovewhip are from Boston or someplace; they're an "electro" band & while they may be no Goldfrapp, their requisite frontwoman/diva changes it up a little by playing guitar. Improvement? I dunno.

Natasha are the Triangle's own stripped-down & spazzed-out post-LeTigre singalong keyboard-jamz band.

Tuesday, September 26
Table (http://www.myspace.com/table)
The Ghost of Saturday Nite (http://www.myspace.com/theghostofsaturdaynite)
Raleigh Music Hall, Raleigh

Wednesday, September 27
Maple Stave (http://www.maplestave.com)
If I Had a HiFi (http://www.ifihadahifi.net/rock/hifi/)
Noncanon (http://www.myspace.com/noncanon)
Kings, Raleigh

Maple Stave have a new EP out, their second, and while I haven't heard it, I've seen them play most of the songs on it, so I feel safe in saying that it'll run circles around you.

Noncanon are Danny Vaughn (ex-Mothlight) and Rob Koegler (Cheap Heat), and they sound more than a little like Mothlight, only moreso, inasmuch as Danny's still playing crazy blues/improv guitar and singing, and Rob's drumming comes from his own jazz background & he's thus ready to go wherever Danny happens to wander off to.

Thursday, September 28
The Sammies (http://www.myspace.com/thesammies)
Elevator Action (http://www.elevatoractionband.com/)
The Talk (http://www.the-talk.com)
The Flying Anvil, Greensboro

Three bands on Charlotte's MoRisen records. The Talk and Elevator Action manage to cover the range between power-pop and pop-punk, but the Sammies are harder to pin down. Their self-titled debut is clearly the work of southern boys; you can hear it in their vocal twang and the intermittent Big Guitars. But the remaining influences run the gamut from the Cult and the Cure, to Talking Heads and (I swear I hear it on 1 song near the end) the Contortions.

Thursday, September 28
White Rook (http://www.myspace.com/whiterookband)
Leadfoot (http://www.leadfoot.net/)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Rawk! White Rook is a new band featuring Fin Fang Foom's Eddie Sanchez.

Thursday, September 28
Valient Thorr (http://www.valientthorr.com/)
Double Negative (http://www.myspace.com/thedoublenegative)
Caltrop (http://www.myspace.com/caltropband)
Kings, Raleigh

Heaviness defined three different ways. Valient Thorr are a metal band, but with an elaborate shtick that involves being from Venus, and needing to save the citizens of Earth from ourselves with the power of rock-n-roll. Caltrop are massive, slow & sludgy, with monolithic riffs that often sound more like an idling dumptruck than guitars. Double Negative are a hardcore band, made up of guys closer to 40 than 20, and with about 75 years of combined punkrock experience. This, perhaps improbably, means they fucking rock.

--------> http://www.trianglerock.com <--------