ch-scene - Sights&Sounds[9.4]Sep06

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: keith <wardke1 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: wardke1 AT yahoo.com
  • Subject: Sights&Sounds[9.4]Sep06
  • Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 13:01:42 -0700 (PDT)

Wednesday - 9/20 - Intro - Smiley faces and new selections in downtempo,
broken beat, house and eclectics. Music by Keith. Helios, 413 Glenwood Ave,
Midtown Raleigh - www.myspace.com/keithmward

Saturday - 9/23 - Masala Beat Club - Over more than two years this party
has spread a rich dancefloor chutney of heavy South Asian beats. Expect the
established mix of bollywood, hiphop, dancehall, reggaeton and bhangra “...
all with a desi twist.” 10pm until. Ringside, 308 W. Main St, Downtown
Durham - www.myspace.com/masalabeatclub & www.myspace.com/soulmarcosa

Saturday - 9/23 - Douga Douga - The beautiful lounge plays host to Midtown
glamour and cosmo dance delights. 10p. Music by Keith. Mosaic, 517 W.
Jones St, Midtown Raleigh - www.mosaicwinelounge.com

Monday - 9/25 - Grant Haze - G.Haze breathes live soulful guitar and voice
with Brother Q on congas. Blue Martini, 116 N. West St, Midtown Raleigh -
www.granthaze.com & www.myspace.com/trisoul

Spark Con talk as spied in cyberspace: “For me, the crystallized essence
of the Spark Con, was the conversation overheard between two fashionably
dressed ladies, bellied up to the fence near the steps where the models
exited the runway. The first lady turned to the second and said, with a
quizzical look on her face and a sense of bewilderment… “is all this stuff
from Raleigh?”. The second, obviously more savvy lass replied, “yup”. In my
view that was the key in so many ways. There is so much to fashion, film,
technology, art, creativity and other great stuff in Raleigh and the
Triangle, but it seems to be a closely held secret. Spark Con started the job
of letting Raleigh in on its secret, that there is so much sparkling creative
energy and creative work in Raleigh and the Triangle, but it just needs
venues and opportunities like Spark Con to shine and congregate.”

Also happening:
Wed - 9/20 - Variations in House w/Feinberg, 7-11p @ Red Room (Raleigh)
Wed - 9/20 - Blue Marble Beat @ White Collar Crime (Raleigh)
Wed - 9/20 - Afromotive (live afrobeat) @ Pour House (Raleigh) -
www.theafromotive.com
Wed - 9/20 - Absinthe Night w/dJ Marco @ Alibi (Raleigh) -
www.myspace.com/alibibar
Thu - 9/21 - Daliami (Afrobeat/reggae/AfroLatin house) w/Keith @ Mosaic
(Raleigh)
Thu - 9/21 - RAW w/LeMoore (house) @ Sushi Blues (Raleigh) -
www.glamooreproductions.com
Thu - 9/21 - Trainwreck Thursdays (Open decks for djs) @ Aries (Raleigh) -
www.arieslounge.com
Thu - 9/21 - 80s Night w/Merlin @ White Collar Crime (Raleigh)
Thu - 9/21 - Electronic Bliss (electronic music djs) @ Talullas (Chapel
Hill) - www.myspace.com/nclounge
Thu - 9/21 - Latin Night @ RedRoom (Raleigh) - www.trianglefiesta.com
Fri - 9/22 - Electrosole w/Keith (downtempo/house) 6-10 @ Redroom (Raleigh)
Fri - 9/22 - Douga Douga presents Gran Reserva w/Feinberg @ Mosaic
(Raleigh) - www.mosaicwinelounge.com
Fri - 9/22 - Do Some Time with Merlin (hiphop/R&B) @ White Collar Crime
(Raleigh)
Fri - 9/22 - Citizen Cope @ Cats Cradle (Carrboro)
Sat - 9/23 - Costamundo w/Keith (lounge int’l), 6-10 @ Red Room (Raleigh)
Sat - 9/23 - The Last Poets @ Carolina Theatre (Durham) -
www.jambetta.com/thelastpoets
Sat - 9/23 - Most Wanted w/S.O.S & Merlin (hiphop/R&B) @ White Collar Crime
(Raleigh)
Sun - 9/24 - Carrboro Music Festival (Carrboro) -
www.carrboromusicfestival.com
Sun - 9/24 - Family (electronic/Dj night) @ West End Wine Bar (Chapel Hill)
Sun - 9/24 - Blackout Sunday w/Mike @ White Collar Crime (Raleigh)
Mon - 9/25 - CoCo do Mundo w/Keith (int’l) 7-11p @ Red Room (Raleigh)
Tue - 9/26 - J.Sonel (downtempo/house) 7-11p @ Bogart’s (Raleigh)
Tue - 9/26 - dJ Mooney (lounge) @ Red Room (Raleigh)
Tue - 9/26 - ElectroBistro w/dJs M.Maerk, guests (electronic) @ Fuse (Chapel
Hill)
Tue - 9/26 - English Beat @ Cats Cradle (Carrboro) - www.catscradle.com
Tue - 9/26 - Green Room (variety show) @ Hi5 (Raleigh)
Tue - 9/26 - Tequila Tuesdays w/SOS @ White Collar Crime (Raleigh)

Of Interest:
Music: The Window - Mosadi Music -
http://cdbaby.com/cd/mosadi & www.mosadimusic.com
Talk To La Bomb - Brazilian Girls - www.braziliangirls.info
LDN - Lily Allen - www.lilyallenmusic.com
Sow Into You - Roisin Murphy - www.sowintoyou.com
Rio Baile Funk: More Favela Booty Beats -
www.essayrecordings.com/cd_bailefunk2.htm
Night Games - Markus Enochson - www.sonarkollektiv.de
Minx - Marsmobile - www.compost-records.com
Brazilectro 8 - www.audiopharm.com
News: On Death Row -
http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,,1876512,00.html
Stuff: NC Euro Connection - http://www.euroconnection.org/links.php
Popkomm Music Festival (Berlin, Germany) - www.popkomm.com
Celebrity - www.thepoplist.com

Talk is cheap. Use Yahoo! Messenger to make PC-to-Phone calls. Great rates
starting at 1&cent;/min.