ch-scene - Re: AV Geeks Science Fair! and more...

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "Margaret Campbell" <margaretc AT gmail.com>
  • To: "RTP-area local music and culture" <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: AV Geeks Science Fair! and more...
  • Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 14:52:50 -0400

Umm, Skip?

You know this doesn't include the Durham show, right? Is there a Durham
show? I alreading have it on my calendar....

On 13 Sep 2006 11:13:44 -0700, avgeeks AT gmail.com <avgeeks AT gmail.com> wrote:

Mark Your Calendars!
First Friday, October 6th, 2006

In honor of Skip (the AV Geek)'s birthday, we are having an AV Geeks
Science Fair. Here's a chance to show off your mad scientist skills by
creating a science fair project based on either a sci-fi/horror film we
showed at the museum or a project you did as a kid.

Some example science projects could be:
How to cross a human with a fly?
How to keep Godzilla from destroying your city?
How many AV Geeks does it take to screw in a projector bulb?
Where do zombies really come from?
How can you tell if your parents are really aliens?

Prizes will be awarded (separate adult and kid entries) in categories
such as Most Creative, Most Absurd Science, Best Use of Styrofoam Balls
and more!

Since this is a museum, we can't allow the projects that involve fire,
uncontrollable oozing, or anything could be hazardous to people or the
exhibits (sorry, no Brady Bunch volcanoes allowed). If you aren't sure,
contact us and we can tell you if its allowed. Also, please contact us
to reserve a spot since space is limited!

Contact Skip to reserve your spot or if you have questions:
skipATavgeeks.com
919-247-7752

Need help coming up with some ideas? Here are some links that may help:
A list of all the sci-fi and horror films we've shown at the NC Museum
of Natural Sciences. (http://www.avgeeks.com/pivot/entry.php?id=203)

Biology of B-Movie Monsters
(http://fathom.lib.uchicago.edu/2/21701757/)

For your Monster dioramas, horrified B-Movie victim figurines
(
http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?prod=1&ts=2006090101&number=AU11642
)

AV Geeks return to New York!

AV Geeks Greatest Hits
AV Geeks return to Anthology for the third time to present this
masterful program of some of his favorite flicks. For this evening, we
have selected the catchiest and most annoying songs from a variety of
different film genres. Great for singing along! Films include: Fun with
Lines, Crash Bang Boom, Munchers, Shake Hands With Danger, Telezonia
and more!
7:00pm, Sunday, September 17th Anthology Film Archives 32 Second Avenue
(at Second Street), NYC, NY (212) 505-5181

School-a-delic
School films that aren't about hallucinogenic drugs, but were certainly
influenced by them. Films include: 200, Toes Tell, Toothache of a
Clown, Fantasy of Feet, Malakapalakadoo Skip Two, Replay, The Eyes
Have.. Or Do They? and more! Admission $10

10:00pm, Monday, September 18th Spiegelworld Fulton Fish Market, Pier
17, South Street Seaport

The Modern Housewife
Films aimed towards solving the problems faced by today's (well,
really, yesterday's) modern housewife. A fascinating and insulting look
at the 1950s and 1960s housewife. Films include: Goodbye to
Garbage,Home is What You Make it, Soft as a Cloud, Joy of Living with
Fragrance and Freeze-In.Admission 9
7:30pm, Tuesday, September 19th Cinema Arts Centre 423 Park Avenue,
Huntington, NY 631-423-FILM (3456)

Cabin Field
This experimental, non-fiction explores the site of Cabin Field, a
mile-long stretch of agricultural land in Crisp County, Georgia.
Through the memories of land owners, farmers, residents and
agricultural laborers past and present, "Cabin Field" examines evidence
both visible and submerged, material and ephemeral. Physical evidence
of Native American inhabitance, the economic structure of sharecropping
and the mechanization of agriculture combine with fading memories;
scientific and agricultural surveys reveal old home sites and the
changing contours of cabin field; and archival film images of rural
Georgia emerge as fragments of evidence to comment on our understanding
of race, gender and the construction of place. Ultimately, "Cabin
Field" weaves a portrait of a place as a palimpsest -- multifaceted,
complex, layered, ever changing. AV Geeks will help co-hosting the
event with some films from the collection about farming in the South.

8:00pm, Thursday September 21st, Bickett Gallery 209 Bickett Blvd
Raleigh, NC 27608 919.836.5358

Stop Driving Us Crazy!
We present films that warn us about the dangers of driving. Films
include Stop Driving Us Crazy!, Borrowed Power, Live and Let Live!,
Case of the Misguided Killer, Signal 30 and more! Door prizes! Bring a
friend! Suggested Donation $5.

8:00pm, Tuesday September 26th, Kings 424 S McDowell Street, Raleigh,
NC, (919) 831-1005.

The Modern Housewife
Films aimed towards solving the problems faced by today's (well,
really, yesterday's) modern housewife. A fascinating and insulting look
at the 1950s and 1960s housewife. Films include: Goodbye to
Garbage,Home is What You Make it, Soft as a Cloud, Joy of Living with
Fragrance and Freeze-In.Admission $5 advance purchase/$7 at the door
8:30pm, Friday, September 29thFilmmaker's Film Series The Masonic
Lodge, Downtown Hillsborough, NC

Also in October, AV Geeks return to Boston, Portland, ME and Worcester,
MA.

SPECIAL DEALS ON AV GEEKS DVDs
The more the merrier! Buy more than one DVD, DVD-R or VHS tape to get
better pricing.
Buy any two DVDs or VHS tapes for $25.
Buy any four DVD-Rs or VHS tapes for $45.
Buy any six DVD-Rs or VHS tapes for $65.
Buy any eight DVD-Rs or VHS tapes for $85.
Buy any ten DVD-Rs or VHS tapes for $100.

To order visit, http://www.avgeeks.com/catalog.html

See ya soon,

Skip
http://www.avgeeks.com

To be added to future AV Geeks notices, email me at skipATavgeeks.com

--Margaret Campbell
http://www.thecompleatwriter.com/