ch-scene - Re: sxsw 2007 advice?

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: skillet.gilmore AT gmail.com
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: sxsw 2007 advice?
  • Date: 8 Sep 2006 15:45:54 -0700

a friends house is the best place to stay. barring that, there is an
extended stay america right downown off sixth st. that's pretty cheap
and really convenient if you book really early, like now. ther are
plenty of hotels downtown to chose from but you have to start now as
they fill up quickly and rates go through the roof.
it seems that the 2 most common routes are either the 'north' way (40
to roughly memphis and hang a left on 35) or the 'south' way (85 to
atlanta, 65 to mobile and 10 to texas). or an airplane. in my
experience. the southern route is the fastest, about 20 hours. we take
shifts at the wheel and knock the trip out without stopping, but there
are 4 of us and i'm pretty sure there's only 2 of you. mobile is about
1/2 way.

my only other suggestion would be to not go. it's crowded, expensive,
full of pretentious industry types and it's a parking nightmare. it's
also dominated by bands that already have big ol' record contracts and
tour busses.

sg