ch-scene - Sights&Sounds[8.5]Aug06

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: keith <wardke1 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: wardke1 AT yahoo.com
  • Subject: Sights&Sounds[8.5]Aug06
  • Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 12:50:24 -0700 (PDT)

Wednesday - 8/23 - Intro - Vinyl hi-fi meets digital
honey. New and aged sounds selections in electrodeep, smoked hiphop, spaced
soul and beefed broken beats. 8ish-11ish. Music by Keith. Helios, 413
Glenwood Ave, Midtown Raleigh

Friday - 9/1 - Spark Con - Designbox brings to us Spark Con, a grass-roots
creative conference for the Triangle. This First Friday show displays the
Spark Con Poster Series of 15 local artists who artistically elucidate a
"spark." The actual Spark Con event is from September 14th to 17th and here
is a short list of some of the things you can experience:

World Party & Little Brother , Tres Chicas, Stratocruiser, American
Aquarium, members of the Hall of Justus, Sean Lennon's US Premier of
"Friendly Fire" along with local films in Moore Square, the new Pixies
documentary: "loudQUIETlod"(http://www.sparkcon.com/filmspark.htm), the Spark
Con fashion show and more (http://www.sparkcon.com/fashionspark.htm).
Register for the conference online or come to Designbox on Friday September 1
to sign up
(http://www.sparkcon.com/registration_form.php)

More information:
www.designbox.us/gallery.html
www.sparkcon.com
www.sparkcon.com/gilsguide.html
www.dujourpresents.com

Sunday - 9/3 - Neu Romance - One day Chico, social hornet, idea huntsman,
bartender aka dJ Madcow, gathered up some equipment, a crew of djs and
decided he wanted to have a night when you could hear trip-hop, hip-hop,
ibiza chill, house, d n'b, soul, reggae, everything all in one night and
leave romanced. Hence the name of the night, Neu Romance. Then he started
flashing his ‘this is what it’s all about’ card to everyone. The result was
a Sunday night gig which produced a far better time in the city than most
nights, including weekends. That was around three years ago and now, the
party is over. Almost. Tonight is the last night and I can definitely say
that every Sunday evening has provided something to get down to. Throughout
this time we've soaked up live jazz, bangin' house music, homemade dip,
random fits of dancing, old stinky soul music with fried fish, creatively
frenzied dialogues, Castro's j-j-j-jams, Yolanda's superbly enthused nature
and ruckus or the
horrible marathon pool players grinning over a lucky bank shot. During this
time it has never mattered what state your hair is in, what kind of music you
like or think you like or even if you have money for the $1 beer. Neu
Romance set the most laid-back, non-pretentious yet selective vibe around
town to not have a tattoo design. Whatever that means to you, I think you
should join the rest of us downtown acolytes to show the NR crew some love.
Because after this Sundays will never be the same. But try not cry in your
drink, bartop dancing awaits. Kings Barcade, 424 S. McDowell, Downtown
Raleigh - www.kingsbarcade.com

Mon - 9/3 - Buddha Fez - Reggae soiree down off the Midtown main road.
Nice up da dance wit da Midnite Cowbwoy! 9p-midnight. Mosaic, 517 W. Jones
St, Midtown Raleigh - www.myspace.com/midnitecowbwoy &
www.mosaicwinelounge.com

Also happening:
Wed - 8/30 - Primera Latin Jazz @ White Collar Crime (Raleigh) -
www.myspace.com/whitecollarcrime
Wed - 8/30 - Variations in House w/Feinberg, 7-11p @ Red Room (Raleigh)
Thu - 8/31 - Daliami (Afrobeat/reggae/AfroLatin house) w/Keith @ Mosaic
(Raleigh)
Thu - 8/31 - RAW w/LeMoore (house) @ Sushi Blues (Raleigh) -
www.glamooreproductions.com
Thu - 8/31 - Latin Night @ RedRoom (Raleigh) - www.trianglefiesta.com
Thu - 8/31 - Trainwreck Thursdays (Open decks for djs) @ Aries (Raleigh) -
www.arieslounge.com
Thu - 8/31 - Mosadi Music & Who’s Bad @ Cat’s Cradle (Carrboro)
www.mosadimusic.com
& www.whosbadmusic.com
Thu - 8/31 - 80s Night w/Merlin @ White Collar Crime (Raleigh)
Fri - 9/1 - Elektrosole w/Keith (downtempo/house) 6-10 @ Redroom
(Raleigh)
Fri - 9/1 - Douga Douga AfroLatin Dance Party w/Keith @ Mosaic
(Raleigh)
Fri - 9/1 - Do Some Time with Merlin (hiphop/R&B) @ White Collar Crime
(Raleigh)
Fri - 9/1 - ALMA Brazilian Independence Day @ Sullivan Room (NYC) -
www.almanyc.com
Sat - 9/2 - DJ, 6-10 @ Red Room (Raleigh)
Sat - 9/2 - Douga Douga presents Gran Reserva w/Feinberg (int’l &
house) @ Mosaic (Raleigh)
Sat - 9/2 - Déjà vu w/LeMoore & Rob Rosseau (house) @ Kulture (Raleigh)
- www.glamooreproductions.com
Sat - 9/2 - Most Wanted with S.O.S & Merlin (hiphop/R&B) @ White Collar
Crime (Raleigh)
Sat - 9/2 - iMambo International Party @ Aries (Raleigh) -
www.i-mambo.net
Sun - 9/3 - Temptation w/dJ Mouse (alt retro) @ Wetlands (Chapel Hill)
Sun - 9/3 - Family (electronic/Dj night) @ West End Wine Bar (Chapel
Hill)
Sun - 9/3 - Blackout Sunday w/Mike @ White Collar Crime (Raleigh)
Mon - 9/4 - CoCo do Mundo w/Keith (int’l) 7-11p @ Red Room (Raleigh)
Mon - 9/4 - Monday Service Industry Night w/dJ Castro and friends @
Riviera (Raleigh) - www.rivieraresto.com
Mon - 9/4 - 9/4 - Burning Man Festival (Black Rock Desert,NV) -
www.burningman.com
Tue - 9/5 - J.Sonel (downtempo/house) 7-11p @ Bogart’s (Raleigh)
Tue - 9/5 - dJ Mooney (lounge) @ Red Room (Raleigh)
Tue - 9/5 - ElectroBistro w/dJs M.Maerk, guests (electronic) @ Fuse
(Chapel Hill)
Tue - 9/5 - Tequila Tuesdays w/SOS @ White Collar Crime (Raleigh)
Tue - 9/5 - Green Room (variety show) @ Hi5 (Raleigh)

Of Interest:
Music: Nettle Soul - The Rurals - http://www.peng.co.uk/therurals/
Big Bang vs. Domu - www.arision.net
Fragments Of An Earth - Georgia Anne Muldrow -
www.stonesthrow.com/georgia
NYC Life: www.urbanistaonline.com
TV: http://www.niptuckseason3dvd.com/
Video: La Tomatina (Bunyol, Spain) - http://www.trissc.com/Tom11.wmv

“If you think you’re too small to have an impact, try going to bed with a
mosquito in the room.” Bette Reese

Talk is cheap. Use Yahoo! Messenger to make PC-to-Phone calls. Great rates
starting at 1&cent;/min.