ch-scene - [Internationalist Books] EVENTS! readings, book sales, & more!

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Internationalist Books <ibooks AT internationalistbooks.org>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: internationalistbooks AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Internationalist Books] EVENTS! readings, book sales, & more!
  • Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 11:08:49 -0400

Internationalist Books & Community Center
405 W Franklin St
Chapel Hill, NC 27516
919-942-1740
http://internationalistbooks.org/

THURSDAY, SEPT 7 -- McSWEENEY'S BOOK CLUB

Come join us for the McSweeney's Book Club. We'll be discussing "Here
They Come", by Yannick Murphy. There'll be snacks!

"Here They Come" tells the story of a poor family's coming-of-age in
1970s New York from the point of view of an unnamed thirteen-year-old
girl who can bend spoons with her mind. Idiosyncratic characters
(including her equally precocious sisters Jody and Louisa; her also
unnamed suicidal musician brother, who keeps a shotgun in his room; her
depressed but strong-willed mother; her ailing and confusedly nostalgic
grandmother Ma Mere, and John, the hotdog vendor on the corner who
trades Hershey bars for a chance to cop a feel), illustrate the story of
a family looking for their deadbeat dad, Cal. When some of the members
of the family head to Spain to follow new leads, the rest of the family
stays home, struggling through the trials of adolescence, single
parenthood and deprivation. Through poetic language and scenes that
border on the surreal, Yannick has created an amazing novel.

PRISON BOOKS BOOK SALE: SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 9, 2006, 8AM-1PM

The Internationalist Prison Books Collective has set a date for its fall
book sale. The sale will be held from 8am to 1pm Saturday September 9, 2006 at Hargraves Community Center on 216 North Roberson Street, in Chapel Hill. The sale will raise funds to cover the cost of mailing books to inmates in facilities throughout Alabama and Mississippi (postage is really our only cost, but it adds up quickly when you're sending packages with heavy books).

HOW YOU CAN HELP:
1. We need donations! - We will always need books donated to our program. What cannot be sent to prisoners, will be sold at our book sale. So, if you know anyone that is about to move and needs to shed a few books to lighten their load, please pass along this message.

2. We need volunteers! - We need people to sort and price books prior to the sale. We will also need help setting up and taking down the sale, people who can help us staff the sale, people to do publicity and put up signs. If you are interested, email me (citizenplastic AT gmail.com), or call the Internationalist for more information at 942-1740.

3. Stop by and buy books! - We hope to see you there!

The Prison Books Collective is a new prisoner support group forming in
the Chapel Hill/Carrboro area. Like the dozens of other similar groups
around the country, it will provide thousands of free books, at request,
to prisoners throughout the southeast. By providing educational,
political and legal resources, we can support people behind bars, show
solidarity with their struggles, and fight against the alienating and
destructive effects of the US prison system.

But we need your help! We currently have a space to work out of, but
are in need of books and money for shipping. We're also going to need
lots of eager volunteers to help package and mail books. If you would
like to help organize or support this great project please go to
www.prisonbooks.info.

WHEN OUR PARENTS BECOME OUR CHILDREN – TUESDAY, 19 SEPTEMBER @ 7PM

Local author Perry Thacker will be here to read from and discuss his work, “When Our Parents Become Our Children”, about the role reversal that many people are facing: the point at which their parents need care. More and more people are going to be senior citizens in the upcoming years, and the good options for care at that age are decreasing rapidly. What can children do now to deal with their new responsibility, especially in the face of a failing health care system? The author will also briefly discuss his role in the preservation of animal habitats in Africa.

PAUL AARON & FRIDAY NOON POETS – WEDNESDAY, 20 SEPTEMBER @ 7PM

Local poet Paul Aaron and other members of the Friday Noon Poets will be here to read from and discuss their latest collection of poetry, “Always on Friday”. The Friday Noon Poets are a collective of poets who meet regularly to discuss their work and their craft. They have met on Fridays since 1978 and always featured prominent local poets. Their latest book is a collection of the best works from all of them, which makes for a great collection of local poetry.

  • [Internationalist Books] EVENTS! readings, book sales, & more!, Internationalist Books, 08/29/2006