ch-scene - Stuff to do, Week of August 24, 2006

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Stuff to do, Week of August 24, 2006
  • Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 19:01:40 -0400

Thursday, August 24
Twilighter (http://www.twilighterband.com/)
Glissade (http://www.myspace.com/glissade)
The Balsa Gliders
Kings, Raleigh

This is an early (well, for Kings: 9:30) show; The Balsa Gliders are a
bunch of guys who went to school in NC but didn't form a band together
until they'd all moved to DC. Either that or somebody else swiped
their bandname.

Thursday, August 24
North Elementary (http://www.northelementary.com)
Bringerer (http://www.myspace.com/bringerer)
Fuse, Chapel Hill

Bringerer are among the half-dozen current guardians of The Chapel
Hill Sound, which I guess means that Sound is loose scraggly pop with
a range of influence spanning from early/solo "pop" Brian Eno to Cheap
Trick to Dead Moon.

North Elementary are becoming experts at creating massive woozy
fuzzed-out pop hooks; still waiting for them to assemble the Mass
Choir those hooks deserve.

Thursday, August 24
Vibrant Green (http://vibrantgreen.iuma.com)
Shakermaker (http://shakermaker.org/)
The Hymns (http://www.hymnsband.com)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Friday, August 25
Roman Candle (http://www.romancandlemusic.com/)
The Whigs (http://www.thewhigs.com)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

So Roman Candle re-recorded and, after a roughly 3-year delay,
re-released their bright, loveable country-poppy debut, "Says Pop," as
the new, equally loveable "Wee Hours Revue." All signs (or at least
all magazine features) point to impending stardom; anybody got a
recent reading of the star-barometer? Anyway. See them before their
crowds start getting all Whiskeytown-post-Strangers-Almanac, unless
it's already too late for that.

Friday, August 25
Blackstrap (http://blackstrap.org)
The Experts (http://www.expertsrock.com)
Veronique Diabolique (http://www.veroniquediabolique.com/)
Joe & Jo's, Durham

Blackstrap are old geezers plus 1 young geez-ette; they're exploring
their damaged recollections of what punkrock felt like back when they
were young enough to shinny down the drainpipe next to their bedroom
windows. Last year that meant it was sorta early-80s SoCal; lately a
bit of Slits/Wire echo has snuck in.

Veronique Diabolique are Durham's French Goth band; their cut on the
307 Knox Records Certified Diskette comp is their best yet.

The Experts are "funny".

Friday, August 25
Kingsbury Manx (http://www.thekingsburymanx.com/)
Schooner (http://www.schoonermusic.com)
DeYarmond Edison (http://www.dyemusic.com/)
Kings, Raleigh

Schooner's cover of the Cars' "Drive" makes such perfect sense that
it's almost entirely redundant. They are soft-rock superstars &
they've got a fine collection of petit percussion.

Kingsbury Manx started out vaguely British Pastoral but have gone
increasingly American Pastoral with each successive album; it's like
watching Manifest Destiny in the form of 4-minute folkpop songs.

Friday, August 25
Honored Guests (http://www.thehonoredguests.com/)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

The Honored Guests' 2nd album, "Tastes Change," reminds me a bit of a
subdued (OK, *sedated*) Rosebuds, or an infinitely rougher/sloppier
Spoon.

Friday, August 25
The Port Huron Statement (http://www.porthuronstatement.com/)
The Never (http://www.trekkyrecords.com/never.html)
The Hymns (http://www.hymnsband.com)
Raleigh Music Hall, Raleigh

Friday, August 25
Stratocruiser (http://www.stratocruisermusic.com/)
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Friday, August 25
Hearts and Daggers (http://www.heartsanddaggers.com/ )
Screaming Females (http://www.screamingfemales.com)
Horsehead (http://www.horseheadmusic.com)
Wetlands, Chapel Hill

Richmond's Horsehead have 2 ex-members of Dragstrip Syndicate and a
member of the Silos. They appear to be a rockband.

Hearts and Daggers are from Raleigh and they seem to split their
energies between western Cowpunk and slightly straighter country.
Their debut EP, "A Home For My Lonely Tears," is one of the better
local releases of the year thus far.

Saturday, August 26
Noncanon (http://www.myspace.com/noncanon)
Untied States (http://www.untiedstates.us/)
Joe & Jo's, Durham

Noncanon is Danny Vaughn (ex-Mothlight, DMVB) and Rob Koegler (Cheap
Heat, all those jazz combos I dunno the names of). They make
gtr/drums/vocal space-blues-screech-drone that kinda picks up right
where Mothlight left off, which, considering that Mothlight were one
of my top-20 fave local bands of all time, is A-OK with me.

Saturday, August 26
Work Clothes (http://www.workclothesmusic.com/)
Un Deux Trois (http://www.undeuxtroisband.com/)
Sons
Wetlands, Chapel Hill

Work Clothes you know about; they were already near-perfect, yet
somehow they double in goodness every time I see them.

Un Deux Trois is the new band of Heather McEntire (Bellafea) and Jenks
Miller (In The Year of the Pig, Mount Moriah, etc).

Saturday, August 26
L in Japanese (http://www.myspace.com/linjapanesemusic)
L.E.G.A.C.Y. (http://www.myspace.com/ihatelegacy)
Odd Numbers (http://www.oddnumbersmusic.com/)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Local hip-hop. L.E.G.A.C.Y. is a member of [Little Brother's] Justus
League. L in Japanese did some time in Paris & I haven't heard yet how
that's affected his ladies' man persona, or his rhyming skillz. Odd
Numbers are from Raleigh and their (http://www.oddnumbersmusic.com/) ]
website has apparently been p0wned by Arab hackers. w00t!

Saturday, August 26
Strange (http://www.thisisstrange.org)
TV Knife (http://www.myspace.com/tvknife)
Creve Coeur (http://www.crevecoeurmusic.com)
Kings, Raleigh

Sunday, August 27
Criteria (http://www.criteriamusic.com/)
J.Page (http://www.myspace.com/jpage)
Smoking Popes (http://www.smokingpopes.net/)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Criteria are the current rockband of former White Octave frontman
Stephen Pedersen, who moved back home to Omaha after he graduated from
Duke Law. J.Page are the current rockband of ex-Scaries frontman Mike
Magarelli, who moved to Gainesville a couple of years ago.

Sunday, August 27
Natasha (http://www.myspace.com/natashatheband)
Midtown Dickens (http://www.myspace.com/midtowndickens)
Summerbirds in the Cellar (http://www.summerbirds.com/)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Every time I hear a new Midtown Dickens song, I get more impressed,
and I realize the few tracks that were floating around for awhile
(f'rinstance, "AM Dial" on that Durham Rockin' The Blocks comp) were
too few to give an accurate picture of the whole elephant. They're
"antifolk," whatever that means, but what strikes me is the knowing
ambivalence towards their subject matter, particularly interpersonal
matters, and their arrangements, both instrumental
(gtr/banjo/accordion/saw) and vocal (ohhh, their harmonies). They are
rough-edged and goofy at times, and smart, and superstars just waiting
for us to realize.

Natasha make stripped-down rah-rah keyboard singalong pop, and they
are also superstars.

Wednesday, August 30
Shellac (http://www.tgrec.com/bands/band.php?id=22)
Uzeda (http://www.uzedaband.it/)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

I saw Shellac play at Carrboro Elementary back in the '90s, but all I
can remember is my annoyance at the guy sitting behind me smoking. But
I guess annoyance is a pretty apt emotion to associate with Shellac.

Uzeda are from Catania, Sicily, which is where Captain Saturn lived
for a time, so if he has something pleasantly descriptive to share
about them, perhaps he will do so.

Thursday, August 31
des_ark (http://www.des-ark.org)
ManBand (http://www.manband.us/)
Opening Flower Happy Bird
(http://www.myspace.com/openingflowerhappybird)
Embarrassing Fruits (http://www.myspace.com/embarrassingfruits)
The Flying Anvil, Greensboro

This is a free show, sponsored by the folks at WUAG (UNC-G's student
radio station). des_ark you know about. Opening Flower Happy Bird you
*should* know about, 'cuz they're great: mid-fi intro/extro bedroom
laptop-pop augmented with heavy doses of live drums, guitar, and
singing boys.

Manband are from Asheville, and they've got Chad & Josh from the great
dearly-departed Piedmont Charisma, and Matt Gentling, who played bass
for the Archers. Hoo boy, t'was a time when I wouldn't have needed to
explain that.

Embarrassing Fruits is a Mortar & Pestle side-project. Oh yeah: doors
open at 8:00.

Thursday, August 31
Regina Hexaphone (http://www.reginahexaphone.com)
The Rose Marie (http://www.myspace.com/ryanleedunlap)
Jennifer Daniels (http://www.jenniferdaniels.com)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Regina Hexaphone make a laid-back loping countryfolkrock thing that
took on whole new dimensions when I saw them at that 506 show doing
Minutemen covers. There's stuff happening way down in there, if you
listen close. Doesn't hurt that they've cumulatively played in like 87
local bands over the past 123 years (you might recognize
singer/guitarist Sara Bell from Dish, or Angels of Epistemology, or
Shark Quest, for instance).

Thursday, August 31
Erie Choir (http://www.eriechoir.com)
The Sibling Project (http://www.thesiblingproject.com/)
Wetlands, Chapel Hill

Erie Choir is the sweetly sad & lonely project of Sorry About Dresden
singer/guitarist Eric Roehrig (he's the less-hoarse one). They've more
or less completed a full-length CD (following last year's near-perfect
and crucial "Bad Tsars is a Drag" EP), so ask 'em about its
whereabouts when you see them, OK?

Thursday, August 31
Dirty Johnny and the Make-Believes
(http://futureperfectmedia.com/dirtyjohnny.htm)
The Heavy Pets (http://www.myspace.com/theheavypetsraleighnc)
Reservoir, Carrboro

The Heavy Pets are from Raleigh, and they're the newish/current
southern rock band of ex-Mercury Birds/Allnight frontman Art Jackson.

Friday, September 1
Superchunk (http://www.superchunk.com)
Tenement Halls (http://www.mergerecords.com/band.php?band_id=105)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Since the only reason Superchunk will play a show anymore is if it's
somebody's anniversary, this is a show to kick off the monthlong 5th
anniversary of Carrboro's Orange County Social Club. There will also
be shows (including an Ashley Stove reunion, man-oh-man) at OCSC
itself later in the month.

Friday, September 1
Proof (http://www.prooftheband.org)
A Rooster for the Masses
(http://www.myspace.com/aroosterforthemasses)
Swashbuckler (http://www.myspace.com/swashbucklernc)
Kings, Raleigh

Proof have ex-members of Cole, plus Greg Eyman from Goner. They make
sinewy music that owes a debt to their other/former bands, which in
turn owe debts to Slint (well, who doesn't) and other bright lights of
indierock.

A Rooster for the Masses are 80s-style synth-poppers, but with an
undercurrent of political-postpunk that helps keep it fresh.
Swashbuckler are from Wilmington (natch) and that's all I know.

Friday, September 1
Clang Quartet (http://www.myspace.com/clangquartet)
usaisamonster
(http://www.loadrecords.com/bands/usaisamonster.html)
Boyzone (http://www.myspace.com/boyzone)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

usaisamonster is stoner-noise-folk-rock, or something like that. Take
those & cut out the hyphens & then mix/match as needed.

Boyzone are losing a member to extended international travel, so this
is a farewell & new beginning rolled up together sweatily on the floor
in short shorts.

Clang Quartet is Scotty Irving, with his ever-growing-more-elaborate
percussion/noise tribute to Jesus Christ. The more I see it, the more
I see.

Saturday, September 2
Tennis and the Mennonites (http://www.tennisandthemennonites.com)
Bowerbirds (http://www.myspace.com/bowerbirds)
Un Deux Trois (http://www.undeuxtroisband.com/)
Chaz's Bull City Records, Durham

Tennis and the Mennonites have an album coming out next month
sometime; they're an indie-rock band whose frontman, Jerstin Crosby,
has a suitably hiccupy voice & weird way with the backwards pop hook &
the ooh ooh ooh.

Bowerbirds are a newish 2-piece comprised of Phil Moore
(ex-Ticonderoga) and a lady named Beth Tacular. They are beautiful.

Un Deux Trois is an even newer 2-piece featuring Heather McEntire
(Bellafea) and Jenks Miller (Mount Moriah, In The Year of the Pig, Hem
of His Garment).

Saturday, September 2
Work Clothes (http://www.workclothesmusic.com/)
Dawn Chorus (http://www.myspace.com/dawnchorus)
Jon McLaughlin (http://www.jonmclaughlinmusic.com/)
The Flying Anvil, Greensboro

Work Clothes you know about, and if you're wondering is it worth
driving to Greensboro to see them again, the answer is of course YES.
Dawn Chorus are a hushed/whispery Greensboro band who'll be a good fit
with the quiet 2/3ds of the Work Clothes set (fear they may be slain
by the louder 1/3d of it, though).

Jon McLaughlin is some guy with a piano from Anderson, IN.

Saturday, September 2
Dirty Johnny and the Make-Believes
(http://futureperfectmedia.com/dirtyjohnny.htm)
Hearts and Daggers (http://www.heartsanddaggers.com/ )
The Tremors (http://www.tremorsrockabilly.com/)
Black Jack and the Long Haulers
Kings, Raleigh

This is part of the annual Raleigh Rumble (Mods vs. Rockers), which is
a vintage-motorcycle and scooter weekender. Not sure when the music
starts (there are also contests & rides & etc) but you can find out
(http://www.tonup-nc.com/raleighrumble.html) ] here.

Saturday, September 2
David Nahm (http://audubonpark.blogspot.com)
Kelly Crisp
David Bjorkback
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Nightlight sez:

Nightlight Comedy Nite w / Kelly Crisp (of the ROSEBUDS), David
Bjorkback, special appearances by Trent Bowles, D.C. Nahm, Cy Rawls,
and music by CRASH and mas. We're giving stand-up a try - if you're
feeling it, we will bring it to you more and more. Comedy from local
funnymen (and wymyn!) sure to tickle you where you want it most, were
you to want it, accompanied by a fresh young MC and more, no joke.

Saturday, September 2
Army of Me (http://www.myspace.com/armyofme)
Will Hoge (http://www.willhoge.com/)
Local 506, Chapel Hill