ch-scene - Re: OT: "NCWRC News Releases:" Snakes On A Plane

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "Rawls nospam" <rawlsnospam AT gmail.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: OT: "NCWRC News Releases:" Snakes On A Plane
  • Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 13:16:57 -0400

From: Chris Rossi
Speaking of Raccoons:

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/R/RAMPAGING_RACCOONS?SITE=KXLAM&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Damn glad I've only been to Olympia in winter months. When I lived at a
woodsy-ish apartment complex in Chapel Hill I once came a little too close
to a raccoon and it looked ready to rumble but I ran. I also once had a
squirrel there try to eat it's way through my window unit air conditioner
and before I knew what it was, I was ready to hit it. I think we were both
surprised to see one another and it took off...then Hurrican Fran tried to
take that air conditioner a short time later.

Lately I've noticed a lot of rabbits around where I live. I'm not
complaining, but it's odd how complacent they are around me...until you try
to grab one, suckers are fast, but their numbers imply there are no large
snakes around to eat them.

I was also the closest thing to a snake handler at an office in Cary a
while back. I was about to transport a tiny one to the nearby woods but my
manager said, "You have to kill it. A lot of 'those' snakes have bred with
poisonous snakes so they're all poisonous now" Well, I let Mr. Genius kill
it with a shovel....and that movie Open Water, that was based on a true
story right? I mean, I don't doubt a shark will eat you if you just float
in the middle of the ocean for 12 hours, but the scuba boat people aren't
really that slack about counting how many people should be back on the boat
are they?

Rawls