ch-scene - When the Levees Broke (OT)

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Duncan Murrell <dvmurrell AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: When the Levees Broke (OT)
  • Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 02:29:25 -0500

Just came from the premiere of Spike Lee's four-hour documentary on New Orleans and Katrina, "When the Levees Broke." I'll reserve my comments for later, but I will say that I desperately want you all to watch it when it comes on HBO either August 22 or August 23 (check your listings, it'll be run over two nights, two hours each). To date, there hasn't been a better depiction of the cruelty people have experienced down here during and since August 29, 2005. There are imperfections, it's overlong, and I've got some quibbles, but I hope that as many people as possible see it. It raises the bar for everything written/filmed/recorded about New Orleans. When 11,000 New Orleanians at the New Orleans Arena get on their feet and cheer a film about their city, it's worth seeing.

Remember: HBO, beginning either August 22 or August 23.

p.s. He even got an interview with, and home video of, the Mississippi man who told Dick Cheney to go fuck himself. Worth the price of admission right there.

  • When the Levees Broke (OT), Duncan Murrell, 08/17/2006