ch-scene - stuff to do, week of August 10, 2006

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: stuff to do, week of August 10, 2006
  • Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 19:20:19 -0400

Thursday, August 10
Pleasant (http://www.pleasantmusic.com)
Deerhoof (http://deerhoof.killrockstars.com/)
Abraham Lincoln Brigade (http://www.myspace.com/thealb)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Deerhoof = collapsing shards of "pop" that stop/start/stop; weird
meandering high-pitched vox on top. Making the avant-garde safe for
The Kids.

By comparison, Pleasant are probably perfectly sane. They've got some
weird high-pitched vox, but their pop looks & smells like pop, at
least from a distance.

If you're not going to this show, you may wanna grab an outside table
at Milltown for the evening.

Thursday, August 10
L in Japanese (http://artists.iuma.com/IUMA/Bands/L_in_Japanese/)
Fuse, Chapel Hill

Thursday, August 10
Unknown Hinson (http://www.unknownhinson.com/)
The Tremors (http://www.tremorsrockabilly.com/)
The Help
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Thursday, August 10
Extreme Animals (http://www.paperrad.org/extreme/)
Doo Man Group (http://www.paperrad.org/dooman/)
Fortress of Amplitude (http://www.paperrad.org/fortress)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Things are going to get freaky & ecstatically noisy/blippy tonight at
Nightlight. You already know about the dangerous-looking web-design
skillz of the (http://www.paperrad.org/extreme) ] Extreme Animals, but
check out these photos of (http://www.paperrad.org/dooman/) ] Doo Man
Group as well.

Thursday, August 10
The Films
Supreme
Simon Dawes (http://www.simondawes.com/)
Raleigh Music Hall, Raleigh

Friday, August 11
Kenny Roby (http://www.kennyroby.com)
Andrew Vladeck (http://www.andrewvladeck.com)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

This is the early show. Andrew Vladeck is from NY; Kenny Roby is from
Raleigh, and used to front the alt-country/soul band Six String Drag.

Friday, August 11
DJ Marco (http://www.solidsoundsystem.com)
Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings
(http://www.daptonerecords.com/pages/stable_sharon.html)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Friday, August 11
DJs Mothersbrothers
David Nahm (http://audubonpark.blogspot.com)
On The Take (http://www.myspace.com/onthetakeband)
DJ Viva
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

On The Take are a new-ish band from Asheville which includes 2
ex-members of Piedmont Charisma (speaking of ex-members of Piedmont
Charisma, I'm still waiting for the debut of a rumored new local band
featuring yet still more of 'em--it's the least they can do to make up
for depriving us of the New Wave Genius that was the Charis.).

I'm told that Audubon Park frontman David Nahm will be sharing his
"observational comedy" stylings, and everybody on the bill with the
initials "DJ" in front of their name will be playing "records".

Friday, August 11
My Dear Ella (http://www.mydearella.com)
Glissade (http://www.myspace.com/glissade)
Dirty on Purpose (http://www.dirtyonpurpose.com/)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Friday, August 11
Bringerer (http://www.myspace.com/bringerer)
Chest Pains (http://www.myspace.com/thechestpains)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

It's been so long since Bringerer had a show that I was afraid they
might've fallen apart. Thankfully that's not the case. Ron Liberti
(ex-Pipe, ex-Ghost of Rock), Bart Moyers, Shawn Albert (ex-Zen
Frisbee), Amy Wilkinson (ex-Chew Toy) and Kevin Dixon (ex-Zen Frisbee)
make classic Chapel Hill indie-rock that recalls both [popstyle] solo
Brian Eno, Cheap Trick, and Pavement.

Chest Pains are a punk rock band featuring Greg Barbera (longtime
local zine/newspaper writer), Tim Ristau (ex-Jett Rink) and Eric
Hermann (Pleasant).

Saturday, August 12
Jule Brown (http://www.julebrown.org)
Fuse, Chapel Hill

Now that Jennyanykind really do seem to be completely defunct, your
best source for that good ol' deepwoods country-gospel / blues/psych
weirdness is Jule Brown, the longtime side-project turned main-gig of
Mark Holland, 1/2 of the Holland twins who were the core of
Jennyanykind.

Saturday, August 12
The Bicycles (http://www.thebicycles.ca/)
The Walkers
The Cave, Chapel Hill

The Bicycles are friends of Dan Bryk's from Canada. He didn't really
share any more info about them, but sheer Canadianness still counts
for something, doesn't it?

Saturday, August 12
Hearts and Daggers (http://www.heartsanddaggers.com/ )
Mason Dixon Disaster (http://www.masondixondisaster.com/)
Kings, Raleigh

Saturday, August 12
The Ghost of Saturday Nite
(http://www.myspace.com/theghostofsaturdaynite)
3 Christs
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Sunday, August 13
The Veldas (http://www.myspace.com/theveldas)
Off With Their Heads (http://www.myspace.com/offwiththeirheads)
Pretty Boy Thorson (http://www.myspace.com/prettyboythorson)
Chaz's Bull City Records, Durham

Sunday, August 13
Reactavox (http://www.reactavox.com)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Monday, August 14
The Foundry Field Recordings (http://www.battlebrigades.com/)
So Many Dynamos (http://www.somanydynamos.org/)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, August 15
Ivan Howard (http://www.therosebuds.com)
DMVB (http://www.myspace.com/dmvb)
The Foundry Field Recordings (http://www.battlebrigades.com/)
Kings, Raleigh

Tuesday, August 15
The Meek (http://www.myspace.com/themeekusa)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, August 15
The Prids (http://www.theprids.com/)
Harm & Hazard
Wetlands, Chapel Hill

Wednesday, August 16
Of Montreal (http://www.angelfire.com/ga/ofmontreal/)
The Minders (http://www.theminders.com/)
The Flying Anvil, Greensboro

Wednesday, August 16
Black Mona Lisas (http://www.myspace.com/theblackmonalisas)
The Great White Jenkins (http://www.tgwj.com/)
Ilad (http://www.iladmusic.com/)
Kings, Raleigh

Wednesday, August 16
So, Pink-Red (http://www.myspace.com/sopinkred)
Carpet of Sexy (http://www.myspace.com/carpetofsexxy)
It's a Trap (http://www.dancetopanic.com/IAT/Main.html)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Thursday, August 17
The Ergs (http://dorkrockcorkrod.com)
Vireo (http://www.myspace.com/vireoband)
The Hunchback (http://www.thehunchback.net/)
Chaz's Bull City Records, Durham

Vireo contain the core members of a great, short-lived Greensboro band
called The Dirty Version. They re-emerged a couple of years ago with
des_ark drummer Tim Herzog, under the name The Killing Frost, but Tim
moved away, so now they're Vireo. Go see 'em.

Friday, August 18
Recess (http://www.dyss.net/nightlight/)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Recess is the semi-regular experimental-music evening curated by Nein
drummer Robert Biggers. The idea is that local musicians break out of
their "normal" rockband roles & try something new, generally involving
short solo or collaborative sets with different instruments/noises
than they're used to.

I haven't heard specifics yet from Robert, so I dunno what the lineup
looks like.

Friday, August 18
Colossus (http://www.myspace.com/thecolossuswillcrushyou)
The Anchor Comes Home (http://www.myspace.com/theanchorcomeshome)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Saturday, August 19
Cantwell, Gomez, Jordan (http://www.cantwellgomezandjordan.com)
Royal Bangs (http://www.theroyalbangs.com/)
Twinkiebots (http://www.bumblebeeorchestra.org/twinkiebots/)
Chaz's Bull City Records, Durham

Royal Bangs & Twinkiebots are from Tennessee, formerly known as the
Free Republic of Franklin. That state is nutso from Johnson City to
Memphis, so I reckon I've got high hopes.

Not that I'd need them; the presence of Cantwell Gomez & Jordan on the
bill pretty much guarantees you're going to hear something to flip yr
wig.

Saturday, August 19
Tres Chicas (http://www.treschicas.org/)
Ollabelle (http://www.ollabelle.net/)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Saturday, August 19
Twilighter (http://www.twilighterband.com/)
Joe Romeo (http://www.myspace.com/joeromeomusic)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Joe Romeo used to front the great 60s-britrock-ish rockband Fake
Swedish. His new band, the Orange County Volunteers, render his
country influences slightly more overt, but all his crazy baroque
tendencies are still alive and well, thankfully.

Saturday, August 19
Renelvis (http://www.renelvis.com)
Wrenn Mangum (http://www.wrennmangum.com/)
Wetlands, Chapel Hill

Renelvis is a Filipino Elvis impersonator from Charlotte. He's kinda
short, and paunchy, and his hair is thinning, but he makes all his own
jumpsuits, and has augmented his set with numerous original
Elvis-inspired songs over the years, so he more than makes up in
enthusiasm what he may lack in verisimilitude. He's truly a piece of
work, and I mean that almost entirely in the positive sense.

Wrenn Mangum is a rockabilly revivalist/tribute artist from Richmond.

--------> http://www.trianglerock.com <--------

  • stuff to do, week of August 10, 2006, grady, 08/10/2006