ch-scene - [Internationalist Books] EVENTS: yard sale, shut them down!, rock 'n' roll, secret cafe , & more

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Internationalist Books <ibooks AT internationalistbooks.org>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: internationalistbooks AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Internationalist Books] EVENTS: yard sale, shut them down!, rock 'n' roll, secret cafe , & more
  • Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2006 16:27:41 -0400

<http://webmail.internationalistbooks.org/horde/imp/compose.php?to=internationalistbooks%40lists.ibiblio.org&thismailbox=INBOX.mass+comm> <http://webmail.internationalistbooks.org/horde/imp/compose.php?to=internationalistbooks%40lists.ibiblio.org&thismailbox=INBOX.mass+comm>

Internationalist Books & Community Center
405 W Franklin St
Chapel Hill, NC 27516
919-942-1740
http://internationalistbooks.org/ <http://webmail.internationalistbooks.org/horde/util/go.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Finternationalistbooks.org%2F&Horde=4dd3c931796541f813d18bf23efc47cf>

SATURDAY, AUGUST 12, 8am - 12pm -- INTERNATIONALIST YARD SALE #2!!

Come buy other people's really great stuff for cheap at our
yard sale, August 12, on Bim Street in Carrboro right down the way from
the Farmer's Market. There's all sorts of things: books, clothes,
furniture, and more. Best of all, you get to take home great stuff and
support the Internationalist at the same time.

AND DONATE! Got stuff? We need it! Bring your donations by the
bookstore this week or drop them off Saturday morning at the yard sale.

MONDAY, AUGUST 21, 7pm - SHUT THEM DOWN

Join us for a discussion of the book, Shut Them Down, which focuses on the weaknesses and strengths of the counter movements against the 2005 G8 Summit in Gleneagles, Scotland. The book also discusses the necessity for such movements' existence, given the environment that recent G8 summits have created. How do protestors escape the trap of following extraordinarily restrictive locations, rules, and police forces? How do protestors get their message to a media who is overeager to protect the voices of the leaders (or a media coverage that turns away when the possibility of a "more exciting event" occurs)? Shut Them Down is most importantly a collection of stories of various people who united and mobilized to protest the summit, and the lessons they learned.

FRIDAY, AUGUST 25, 7pm - IAN SVENONIUS: THE PSYCHIC SOVIET

Join us for a reading, a signing, and potentially much more with Ian Svenonius and his novel The Psychic Soviet.

The Psychic Soviet is a collection of "essays, written in a scholarly yet engaging style", which should help "clear up much of the prevailing confusion regarding events of the last millennium by exploring the use of rock 'n' roll and art by the ruling class, and the sinister machinations behind popular fiction, film, and television serials, among other cultural outlets." Because of its revelations, it has been published in an easy-to-transport pocket-sized hardcover, not unlike foreign language dictionaries.

SATURDAY, AUGUST 26 -- SECRET CAFE...

You're invited to join us at our Secret Café. Call 942.1740 or email café@internationalistbooks.org <mailto:caf%E9 AT internationalistbooks.org> for more secret information!

THURSDAY, SEPT 7 -- McSWEENEY'S BOOK CLUB

Come join us for the McSweeney's Book Club. We'll be discussing "Here They Come", by Yannick Murphy. There'll be snacks!

"Here They Come" tells the story of a poor family's coming-of-age in 1970s New York from the point of view of an unnamed thirteen-year-old girl who can bend spoons with her mind. Idiosyncratic characters (including her equally precocious sisters Jody and Louisa; her also unnamed suicidal musician brother, who keeps a shotgun in his room; her depressed but strong-willed mother; her ailing and confusedly nostalgic grandmother Ma Mere, and John, the hotdog vendor on the corner who trades Hershey bars for a chance to cop a feel), illustrate the story of a family looking for their deadbeat dad, Cal. When some of the members of the family head to Spain to follow new leads, the rest of the family stays home, struggling through the trials of adolescence, single parenthood and deprivation. Through poetic language and scenes that border on the surreal, Yannick has created an amazing novel.

THE PRISON BOOKS COLLECTIVE NEEDS YOUR BOOKS...
FOR OUR BOOKSALE! (AND TO SEND TO PRISONERS!)

The Prison Books Collective will be holding a book sale at the end of
the summer and we need your books! All book donations will be sorted
for content (some books we'll hang on to and ship to prisoners, others
we'll put out for sale). All profits go towards postage for shipping
books to prisoners. We're accepting all sorts of books for the book
sale, but we're also attempting to collect specific genres to send to
prisoners. Most requests we receive are for world, political, & U.S.
history, self-help/how-to, and black history/lit. Donations of all
kinds can be dropped off at Internationalist Books.

The Prison Books Collective is a new prisoner support group forming in
the Chapel Hill/Carrboro area. Like the dozens of other similar groups
around the country, it will provide thousands of free books, at request,
to prisoners throughout the southeast. By providing educational,
political and legal resources, we can support people behind bars, show
solidarity with their struggles, and fight against the alienating and
destructive effects of the US prison system.

But we need your help! We currently have a space to work out of, but
are in need of books and money for shipping. We're also going to need
lots of eager volunteers to help package and mail books. If you would
like to help organize or support this great project please go to
www.prisonbooks.info.

  • [Internationalist Books] EVENTS: yard sale, shut them down!, rock 'n' roll, secret cafe , & more, Internationalist Books, 08/09/2006