ch-scene - More Tom Waits stuff for those not yet bored

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "dj golf" <mcass AT mindspring.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: More Tom Waits stuff for those not yet bored
  • Date: 8 Aug 2006 13:50:24 -0700

I'll refrain from cutting & pasting the Memphis and Nashville setlists
- anyone who must see can Google for them. The set in Nashville (where
we went) was notable for "Cemetery Polka" (one of my favorites) and
"Tom Traubert's Blues" (aka "Waltzing Matilda.) The reaction among the
Waits disciples online over "Tom Traubert" was somewhat akin to the
reaction of the apes in "2001" upon discovering that a wild pig can be
killed with a thigh bone. Apparently he hasn't performed it live in a
long time. And it is a gorgeous song. Someone has posted a video of
"Traubert" from Nashville on YouTube (it looks to have been shot with a
cell phone but the quality isn't too bad...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUJCXMinOII

There's a few other Waits videos on the same page, including the
Letterman performance from a year or so ago that had Judah Bauer &
Russell Simmins from Blues Explosion in the backing band.

Nashville was pretty fun, considering that we were there less than 24
hours (and spent 18 on the road - at least it's a nice drive.) The
Ryman is a really nice venue, and we did a little touristy sightseeing
- Ernest Tubb Record Shop, Tootsie's Lounge (where else can you get a
PBR for only $4.50?) and another thing or two along Broadway. The
visit to the Ernest Tubb Record Shop was a sentimental journey for Mrs.
DJ Golf, who at age 16 went to the Grand Ole Opry with her parents when
it was still at the Ryman, and afterward saw Ernest Tubb and Loretta
Lynn do an in-store performance there. Her mom still has the pictures.

dj golf