ch-scene - Two Events Friday - SOC Rovers and Beloved Binge/America's Next Top Models

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "Anne Gomez" <anne.gomez AT gmail.com>
  • To: anne.gomez AT gmail.com
  • Cc: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Two Events Friday - SOC Rovers and Beloved Binge/America's Next Top Models
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 17:16:46 -0400

1. The debut of *the Scene of the Crime Rovers*, Durham's own alternative
marching band, featuring the conducting skills of prodigal daughter Shannon
Morrow (former drummer of Special Agents of Her Majesty's Secret Cervix and
Cantwell here in the triangle and Bride of No-No in Chicago) and many
musicians of various backgrounds from around the area.
We start marching at the Scrap Exchange at 7 pm and will end up at Jo and
Joe's at some point. Here's more info:

*Marching Band! The Scene of the Crime Rovers:** (starting at The Scrap
Exchange, 548 Foster Street, 7 p.m.) The Scene of the Crime Rovers are
Durham's very own brass and drum avante marching ensemble. Established with
the desire to take the music to the streets, the **SOC ROVERS** are a
rag-tag collective of musicians who bring their interests in punk, new
music, jazz, and free improvisation to the ensemble. For the July 21
Culture Crawl, the SOC ROVERS will perform works by composer Pauline
Oliveros, garage rockers The Stooges, and their own original collaborations
**.*

**

2. *The Beloved Binge Record Release Show with America's Next Top Models* *at
Jo and Joe's*.

Beloved Binge are a husband/wife guitar/drums duo who transplanted
themselves to Durham a few months ago from Seattle and who have fed me many
a soy white russian. When they're not promoting vegan alcoholic
concoctions, they play herky-jerky Yoko-Ono-pop-punk with spurts of Greek
folk music.

http://www.myspace.com/belovedbinge

America's Next Top Models are a trio of Durham malcontents (me, Joyce
Ventimiglia, and Evan Rowe) who wish George Bush to give them all neck
massages and who try to make up for their sloppy playing by
wearing distracting costumes.

http://www.myspace.com/americasnexttopmodels

The show will start around 10. I have heard there is another band playing
that will go first, but unfortunately I don't know who they are.

Love,

Anne Gomez

(sorry if you are getting more than one notice about these events)

  • Two Events Friday - SOC Rovers and Beloved Binge/America's Next Top Models, Anne Gomez, 07/20/2006