ch-scene - Re: Legendary Pink Dots + Veronique Diabolique @ Local 506 Thurs June 22

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Elizabeth <eliz3333 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Legendary Pink Dots + Veronique Diabolique @ Local 506 Thurs June 22
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 16:32:47 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,
I went to this show... I thought LPD was amazing, and heard that Veronique
Diabolique was too (but sadly missed their set). It seemed like LPD played
more of their “hits” /catchier songs than usual (maybe because of the
25th anniversary), but I'm not sure as I'm only still gradually taking in the
range of their material. They played Hellsville which was great. Intense,
so big. Also played some great brand new stuff. The songs with a slow
buildup to huge intensity were amazing live – for a while the sound would
be subtle, quiet, intricate, delicate and then somehow huge and catastrophic.
But without being forced or compromising the fluidity of the whole thing.
Edward Kaspell was just awesome. I don't know what to say. Sometimes
terribly dark but always very beautiful. You can hear this in the recordings
but stage presence live was extra powerful and raw. He seemed to want to
really share something with the audience, express things that were
overwhelming.
Whether awful or good things, or maybe uncertain. But at the same time
protect people or something? Give out a sense of calm. Meanwhile there was
this casual wit woven in... Speaking of which Mr. Hornblower(?)- :) did some
awesome stuff on the sax, holding back early in the show but later going off
at just the right places (one time playing 2 at the same time back and
forth). Meanwhile with his familiar lighthearted attitude on stage. The
crowd was kind of small and slightly busy/ loud compared to their shows
I’ve seen in the past, but that wasn’t too bad. After the show I talked
with Kaspell a little -- and listened to lots of other people talking to him
for a long time going on and on you know -- and was struck by how modest and
kind he was. Just exuded a patience and thoughtfulness to everybody.
(Extra cool considering the amount of touring they do). Oh well, speaking of
going on and on, I guess I will stop now.

Eliza

dj golf <mcass AT mindspring.com> wrote:
Anybody on the group go to this show? Care to post a capsule review?

- dj golf was out of town