ch-scene - Rob Watson and The Nevers TONIGHT at The Library

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "Aaron Freeman" <aaron AT redeyeusa.com>
  • To: <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Rob Watson and The Nevers TONIGHT at The Library
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 16:30:49 -0400

Yes sir, Rob Watson, The Nevers and Western Front (Iowa) will be at The
Library tonight. All for 5 bucks. Or cheaper if you get there early.

The Bleeding Hearts are no longer playing tonight, but will appear next month
when Rob comes back.

Here some info on the bands:

Rob Watson:
The first instrument that attracted the attention of Durham-born,
Garner-raised Rob Watson was the drum set owned by his babysitter's son, but
what really got him into music was singing in the church. From those loud and
holy beginnings, Watson has grown into one of the most versatile musicians in
the area, starting with the late heavy trio Abby 6 and reaching the point
where he's now making room for four musical outlets. He brings the songs from
his terrific album To Trade Hands to life both in a solo setting and with a
local-star-stocked band. He unveils his goofy side in the Oblivious Action
Figures, a three-piece whose song titles--"Gangsta Smurph," "Vowel
Movement"--gently suggest that this might not be a deathly serious outfit,
just in case the afro wigs didn't tip you off. And his newest venture, a
gospel group named The Whistlestop, was formed with a co-worker during their
carpool drives and inspired by a gospel tape Watson's grandmother made for
her brother back in the day. ("It's music that's definitely inside me," he
says.) As different as all these are, at the center of each is Watson's
elastic voice, a marvel of an instrument that enables him to be whatever the
song calls for--an amphitheatre troubadour, a modern rock hero, a
neo-soulster, a costumed crusader, a country preacher--with flights of
falsetto taking off at regular intervals. (Indy Weekly)
http://www.myspace.com/robwatson

The Nevers:

We're The Nevers out of Raleigh, NC. We're a four-piece rock band whose sound
is somewhat eclectic, varying between straight-ahead Badfinger-type rockers
to some more moody pieces reminiscent of early Cheap Trick (how's that for
name dropping?) Most of the songs feature 2 to 3 part vocal harmony along
with a lot of guitars crunching, screaming, jangling and strumming. We have a
very definitive lead singer who commands each tune. Our rhythm section adds a
dose of power to the pop. There's also an unmistakable (unshakable?) southern
twang.
http://www.myspace.com/theneversband
The Western Front:
The Western Front formed in the winter of 2003 and have toured extensively
since then including time on The Vans Warped Tour. Piano, guitar, bass, drum
machine, mandolin, accordion, and vocals move them through elements of pop
rock, country, and techno.
"...clever rapid-fire lyrics spit forth over always-changing
arrangements...this could very well be the best new band of the year." -
rockingthescene.com.
"Go to Your Desire; Don't Hang Around Here" is the best non-studio album I
have heard in ages." - independentclauses.com

Similar artists: The Weakerthans, Ben Folds Five, The Postal Service
http://www.myspace.com/thewesternfront

  • Rob Watson and The Nevers TONIGHT at The Library, Aaron Freeman, 06/20/2006