ch-scene - stuff to do, week of June 1, 2006

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: stuff to do, week of June 1, 2006
  • Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 10:26:55 -0400

Thursday, June 1
Blackstrap ( http://blackstrap.org ) , New Grenada, Dirty Little
Heaters ( http://www.thedirtylittleheaters.com )
Local 506, Chapel Hill

New Grenada (or is that New Granada? It's been too long since I've
seen the movie, either way) are a band formed by Local 506 staffers to
compete in the Bartender Olympics; not content to bash out a few
rockers and call it a night, they actually (apparently--haven't seen
it myself) composed a rock opera based on the brilliant teen-rebellion
movie "Over The Edge" (you remember it: "a kid that tells on another
kid is a dead kid!").

Dirty Little Heaters and Blackstrap are two of Durham's finest,
Blackstrap with an early-80s-California sass & snarl, and the Heaters
with a full-on blues-stomp assault.

Thursday, June 1
The Solace Brothers ( http://www.thesolacebros.com/ ) , The
International Drive ( http://www.myspace.com/theinternationaldrive )
Kings, Raleigh

Friday, June 2
No Future Fest ( http://www.freewebs.com/nofuturefest/ )
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

This is it, the biggest Noise event of the year, at least in NC and
quite possibly in a much larger radius than that. The website said no
advance tickets, so if you want to spend 2 raucous sweaty nights
crammed into Nightlight with the biggest collection of freaks you'll
ever see, I guess you gotta show up early (before 8:00, that is). Have
a sandwich; I recommend the African Tuna, natch. Lineups:

Night 1:
Sickness
Pedestrian Deposit
Wilt
Clang Quartet
Stimbox
Black Meat
Armenia
WZT Hearts
Endless Humiliation
Moribund

Night 2:
Macronympha
Aaron Dilloway
Can't
Xome
American Band
Hive Mind
Carlos Giffoni
Oscillating Innards
Wilderness
Ironing

Friday, June 2
Pleasant ( http://www.pleasantmusic.com ) , Dawn Chorus (
http://www.myspace.com/dawnchorus ) , Glow-in-the-Dark Scars (
http://www.myspace.com/glowinthedarkscars ) , Vireo (
http://www.myspace.com/vireoband )
The Flying Anvil, Greensboro

Pleasant are from Chapel Hill, and they make fluttery catchy slightly
hiccuppy popmuzik. Dawn Chorus are from Greensboro, and I just
realized I think I misplaced their CD. Glow-in-the-Dark Scars are from
Wilmington. Vireo are from Carrboro, and they're basically a mutation
of a short-lived Triangle band called The Killing Frost, who were
themselves a transmogrification of a great Greensboro band called the
Dirty Version.

Friday, June 2
Proof, Strange ( http://www.thisisstrange.org ) , Nudity (
http://www.myspace.com/nuditytheband )
Kings, Raleigh

Strange are a big, echoey, vaguely Gothy band (well, in the same sense
that the Birthday Party were Gothy, that is) from Raleigh. Proof
contain members of Cole & Goner. Nudity are from OlyWa and are
ex-Tight Bros. from Way Back When.

Friday, June 2
The Port Huron Statement ( http://www.porthuronstatement.com/ ) ,
North Elementary ( http://www.northelementary.com )
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Friday, June 2
Endless Mic ( http://www.trekkyrecords.com/endlessmic.html ) , Soul
Position ( http://www.rhymesayers.com/aDetail.php?aId=12&cT=Bio ) ,
One Be Lo ( http://www.onebelo.com/ )
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Saturday, June 3
Eyes to Space ( http://www.eyestospace.net/ ) , Kapow! Music (
http://kapowmusic.net ) , On Three (
http://www.myspace.com/ericonthree )
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Saturday, June 3
The Dynamite Brothers ( http://www.dynamitebrothers.com/ ) , Birds of
Avalon ( http://www.myspace.com/birdsofavalon ) , Nudity (
http://www.myspace.com/nuditytheband )
Reservoir, Carrboro

Dynamite Brothers were back down to a 2-piece last time I saw them,
but that's been like a year, so they may've grown again. They make
hot! spazzmo electric blues-boogie. Birds of Avalon are from Raleigh &
they've got ex-members of Cherry Valence and The Weather, which means
they bring the Raleigh Rock.

Sunday, June 4
Chromatics (
http://www.goldstandardlabs.com/chromatics/chromatics.html ) , DJ
Nasty Boots, Glass Candy ( http://www.kpunk.com/GlassCandy/ ) , The
Convocation ( http://www.myspace.com/theconvocation )
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Near as I can tell, The Convocation formerly existed as The
Convocation Of . . ., but after a hiatus I guess they've jettisoned a
couple of letters and a bunch of periods. Stripped-down, lean, mean,
etc.

Sunday, June 4
Cantwell, Gomez, Jordan ( http://www.cantwellgomezandjordan.com ) ,
Blame Game ( http://www.sunrevolver.org/blamegame ) , Echo Is Your
Love ( http://www.ifsociety.com/echo/home.html )
Wetlands, Chapel Hill

Echo Is Your Love are from Finland; on the song I'm listening to, the
singer has a disappointingly skilled grasp of the English language.
They sound kinda Blonde Redhead, or Fashion Design. Both at once.

Cantwell Gomez and Jordan write the most distinctively
themselves-sounding songs of any band around, and themselves sound
good.

Tuesday, June 6
Movie Night ( http://www.kingsbarcade.com )
Kings, Raleigh

Kings sez: "National Day of Slayer Fanspastic Expulsion of Aggression
- Celebrate 6/6/06 by blasting Slayer recordings all day then come out
to Kings for live musical mayhem from "Still Reigning" and "War At The
Warfield". Slayer Rules!!! http://www.nationaldayofslayer.org/ - FREE
- 8:00pm"

Tuesday, June 6
Flicker ( http://www.chapel-hill.nc.us/flicker )
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

A couple of weeks ago, the Flicker folks hosted an all-day shooting
party, in which various teams of super-8 filmmakers set out to shoot a
complete short film on a single roll of super-8 film, edited entirely
in-camera (that is, shot in the exact sequence in which it was meant
to be shown). At the end of the day they all shipped their films off
to be developed, and none of them have seen them since. Tonight's the
big unveiling/premiere of their one day's handiwork. 8:00 p.m.

Tuesday, June 6
Daylight Dies ( http://www.daylight-dies.com/ ) , Legion of the Fallen
( http://www.myspace.com/legionofthefallen ) , Chromados, Hate Prose
Reservoir, Carrboro

In honor of the Date of the Beast (6/6/06), some evil metal for ye.

Wednesday, June 7
Psychic Ills ( http://www.myspace.com/psychicills ) , Wolfmother (
http://www.wolfmother.com/ )
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Wednesday, June 7
Natasha ( http://www.myspace.com/natashatheband ) , Ghost to Falco (
http://www.purevolume.com/GhosttoFalco ) , Planecrash, Secret
Boyfriend
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Natasha formed while students at the Carolina Friends School; they
split up last year to go to college, but I guess now that it's summer,
they've reconstituted themselves, which is AWESOME news. They make
crazy goofy smart synth-pop, *and* they make their own swank custom
merch. My copy of their CD came in a luscious faux-fur cover.

Wednesday, June 7
Hem ( http://www.rabbitsongs.com/ ) , Over the Rhine (
http://www.overtherhine.com/ )
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Thursday, June 8
Work Clothes ( http://www.workclothesmusic.com/ ) , Jew(s) &
Catholic(s), The Session
The Flying Anvil, Greensboro

The Flying Anvil is the new club in downtown Greensboro (just around
the corner from [*> http://www.elsewhereelsewhere.org/ <*] Elsewhere -
when I was there recently, a sign said they'd give guided tours in the
evenings, so maybe show up early & see what you can see). Here's what
they say about these bands:

WORK CLOTHES: This husband/wife songwriting team of Jenny & Lee Waters
play haunting and bittersweet pop songs. If you are a fan of The
Secret Stars, Monroe Mustang, Galaxie 500, the Magnetic Fields and the
Elephant 6 Collective, you will not be disappointed. They are from
Chapel Hill

JEW(S) AND CATHOLIC(S): What happens when a classically trained,
Jewish double bass player and a string breakin' Catholic guitarist get
together? You get Jew(s) and Catholic(s).They are from Winston-Salem

THE SESSION: The Session are made up members of Palagic, Frog and Toad
Together, and Kudzu Wish. They are from Greensboro.

Thursday, June 8
Apis Bull ( http://www.apisbull.com/ ) , The Same, Parker
Kings, Raleigh

Apis Bull are from New Bern; they're a two-piece (including, I
believe, the insanely fast/complex drummer from the Kickass) & they
make crazy skittery post-whatever spazzrock.

Thursday, June 8
Amish Jihad ( http://www.myspace.com/amishjihad ) , Morbid Toothbrush
( http://www.myspace.com/morbidtoothbrush ) , Delicious
Reservoir, Carrboro

[*> http://morbidtoothbrush.afterbirthcasserole.com/ <*] Hygiene Metal
from Charlotte?

Friday, June 9
Matt Pond PA ( http://www.mattpondpa.com/ )
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Friday, June 9
Valient Thorr ( http://www.valientthorr.com/ ) , Black Taj (
http://www.amishrecords.com/ami021.html ) , Thunderlip (
http://www.thunderlip.com/ )
Kings, Raleigh

Both Valient Thorr and Thunderlip (VT from Venus, Thunderlip from
Wilmington) play hyper-enthusiastic kinda goofy evangelo-metal, with
lots of speechifying and general showmanlike antics the likes of which
are too-seldom seen 'round these parts.

Black Taj are what you get when half of Polvo hook up with half of the
Hendrix tribute band "The Jimi Hendrix Inexperience." Actually, that
pretty well describes the last Polvo album, "Shapes," as well. Black
Taj are a lot like "Shapes," only moreso.

Saturday, June 10
Starlight Mints ( http://www.starlightmints.com ) , The Octopus
Project ( http://www.theoctopusproject.com/ ) , Dios Malos (
http://www.wearedios.com/ )
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Saturday, June 10
Noncanon, The Heist and the Accomplice (
http://www.myspace.com/theheistandtheaccomplice )
Chaz's Bull City Records, Durham

Saturday, June 10
Chuck Johnson, Crowmeat Bob, Phon, The Hem of His Garment, Chris
Eubank
Kings, Raleigh

Kings calls this Experimental Instrumental Night. Phon make glitchy
ambient pedal-music; there may be a PDF reproduction of their layout
from the Indy a few weeks ago [*>
http://www.indyweek.com/pdf/Phon_rig_5_10.pdf <*] here.

Kings says: "The Hem of His Garment is a 15-piece band featuring
DeYarmond Edison, Phon, Rich Ivey of Street Sharks, In the Year of the
Pig, a guy named Lincoln and Grayson Currin of writing fame, plus some
others."

Saturday, June 10
Shannon O'Connor ( http://shannonoconnor.com/ ) , New Town Drunks (
http://www.thirdmind.org/featured_artists/NTD/index.html ) , Spider
Bags
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Sunday, June 11
Future Islands ( http://www.myspace.com/futureislands )
WXDU 88.7 FM, Durham

Future Islands rose from the ashes of Greenville's Art Lord and His
Self Portraits. You may remember their sorta sing-songy synth-pop from
Compulation Volume 2. The bits I've heard of Future Islands sounded a
lot like Art Lord; I'm told the biggest change was the jettisoning of
that former band's rather elaborate backstory, which apparently got in
the way of the dancing. 5:00 p.m. 88.7FM or www.wxdu.org.

--------> http://www.trianglerock.com <--------

  • stuff to do, week of June 1, 2006, grady, 06/01/2006