ch-scene - the 'fork spotlights wuag/comp and, as such, local bands

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "cptnevo" <nhb7 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: the 'fork spotlights wuag/comp and, as such, local bands
  • Date: 26 Apr 2006 08:46:16 -0700

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/news/06-04/26.shtml#wuag

Magnolia Elec. Co., Oneida, Calvin Johnson on Comp

Tim Najmolhoda reports:
With things like Soulseek and MySpace now serving as the primary means
by which indie rock reaches college students' ears, one might argue
that the once-proud tradition of college radio is no longer as relevant
as it once was. Hell, I spent four years in Ann Arbor, and I can't even
tell you what our station was called.

But thankfully for the residents of Greensboro, North Carolina, the
University of North Carolina at Greensboro's WUAG 103.1 does not intend
to go gently into that good night. In recent years, WUAG has seen a
host of local and national acts play in their studio and at
station-sponsored performances. Now, the station has put together 18
Watts Is Better Than None, a double-disc compilation of exclusive
tracks from many of those sessions.

The first disc features many of the national acts which have passed
through Greensboro, including Boom Bip, Oneida, Calvin Johnson, and
Magnolia Electric Co. The second disc is filled with North Carolina
acts like Ahleuchatistas, the Strugglers, and a bunch of people we're
not familiar with (though we're kinda dying to hear what L in Japanese
sound like.)

Between both discs, there are a total of 30 tracks--all on sale from
the WUAG website a sickeningly cheap $8.00. That's less than 27 cents
per song!

Spartan tracks:

Disc One (National Artists):

01 Lifesavas - "HelloHiHey"
02 Tender Forever - "That Feeling of Love"
03 Plat - "Aftur"
04 The Baptist Generals - "500 League Reunion March (In a Plymouth)"
05 Psyche Origami - "Wherever You Are"
06 Unwed Sailor - "Little Wars"
07 Oneida - "Spirits"
08 Calvin Johnson - "Love Will Come Back Again"
09 Magnolia Electric Co. - "Untitled"
10 Boom Bip - "Red Room"
11 Voltage - (Untitled)
12 Tussle - "A&W"
13 Timonium - "Self Evidence"
14 Page France - "Finders"

Disc Two (North Carolina Artists):

01 Blank_Blank - "160 Oz."
02 Cesar Comanche - "Up & Down"
03 Bellafea - "Depart, I Never Knew You"
04 Walking Dead - "First in Last"
05 Ticonderoga - "They Can Run"
06 Endless Mic - "Down"
07 Cities - "Cancer"
08 Kaliedescope Death - "What Do They Know"
09 Witch Kings - "Reap What You Sow"
10 SNMNMNM - "New Mexico"
11 Boxcar Bertha - "WEF"
12 Tim Smith Band - "Holy Day"
13 L in Japanese - "Fill in the Blanks"
14 Ahleuchatistas - "Shots Rang Out at the Press Conference"
15 The Enrichment Center Percussion Ensemble - "Winter Song"
16 The Strugglers - "Sea of Tears"

This Saturday, April 29, WUAG will host a record release show at the
Flying Anvil in Greensboro. It will feature performances by
Blank_Blank, Endless Mic, Cities, and, most awesomely, Megaband, "the
Athens, GA-based band Cinemachanica playing the soundtrack to the 1988
NES game Mega Man II while a guy beats the game live on the big screen
in under 40 minutes," according to the WUAG website. Holy shit.

* WUAG: http://www.wuag.net/

  • the 'fork spotlights wuag/comp and, as such, local bands, cptnevo, 04/26/2006