ch-scene - Stuff to do, Week of April 14, 2006

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Stuff to do, Week of April 14, 2006
  • Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 22:17:33 -0400

Friday, April 14
Wolf Parade ( http://www.myspace.com/wolfparade ) , Holy Fuck (
http://dependentmusic.com/a_holyfuck.htm ) , The Besnard Lakes (
http://www.thebesnardlakes.com/ )
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Next-big-Canadian-things make a stop at Cat's Cradle. Wolf Parade's
2nd album was produced by Modest Mouse's Isaac Brock; scored a 9+ on
Pitchfork (aka the NME of the Internets).

Holy Fuck describe their project [themselves] like so: ". . . to mimic
modern electronic music without using modern fail safes like laptops
and programmed backing tracks . . . they armed themselves with a drum
set, a bass guitar, a myriad of toy keyboards, guitar peddles, mixers,
and even a 35 mm film synchronizer . . . what they came up with
sounded more like German kraut rock, or a noisy, hypnotic Suicide."

Friday, April 14
The Capulets ( http://www.thecapulets.net ) , Elevator to Space (
http://www.elevatortospace.com/ )
Raleigh Music Hall, Raleigh

Friday, April 14
Billy Sugarfix ( http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/billysugarfix.htm )
, Randy Whitt and the Grits ( http://www.randywhitt.com/ )
Local 506, Chapel Hill

This is a CD-release party for Randy Whitt. You may better know Billy
Sugarfix as the theremin and guitar-playing third of Evil Wiener.

Friday, April 14
Dirty5thirty ( http://www.myspace.com/dirty5thirty ) , Inflowential (
http://www.myspace.com/inflowential )
Wetlands, Chapel Hill

Saturday, April 15
Somebody I Used to Know ( http://come.to/estributenc )
Duke Coffeehouse, Durham

Lotta solo performers, plus some bands, taking on the songs of Elliott
Smith (2 songs each, last I heard). A tentative lineup:

The Tourist, The Prayers and Tears of Arthur Digby Sellers, Jenna
Kole, Bowerbirds, Charles Latham, Doug Campbell, Chris Titchner,
Nathan Asher, Deb O'Nare, American Tourist, Spokane Anne, and The
Sibling Project.

Saturday, April 15
Lud ( http://www.smithlevelrecords.com ) , Fontana (
http://www.myspace.com/fontana1 )
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Lud are now the keepers of the definitive Chapel Hill Sound, sez me,
even though I dunno if any of them even have a Chapel Hill address
anymore. Nevertheless, they've been around, seen & heard it all, and
more importantly they make gorgeous unclassifiable music that veers
from instrumental surf/bossa nova to anthemic rock about African
politics, to an utterly sincere version of "Shenandoah" that'll leave
you in tears, equally sincere.

Fontana had a cut on that mysterious "Rocking the Blocks" compilation
pressed up & given out by the Downtown Durham Inc. people; it was long
and langorous & shifted gears from loping to cantering & back again.
With pedal steel. It's in [*> http://groovo.org <*] the player.

Saturday, April 15
Wigg Report ( http://www.synchronizedswim.org ) , Jaguaro (
http://www.myspace.com/jaguaro ) , Dirty Little Heaters (
http://www.thedirtylittleheaters.com ) , It's Reigning Men (
http://www.myspace.com/itsreigningmen )
305 South, Durham

This is a CD release party for the brand-new Jaguaro CD. Jaguaro, in
case you've managed to miss them (shame!), are a two-piece featuring
Maria Brubeck pounding the crap out of some drums in a delightfully
direct manner, and Jon E. Walker bellowing and wrenching insane noises
out of his guitar. It's garage-rock of the elemental variety.

Dirty Little Heaters are also a gtr/drums two-piece, but they're
working much more of a blues/soul/rocknroll angle.

Wigg Report are quirky shambling acoustic punk-influenced folk. With
reeds.

It's Reigning Men is a duo featuring Indy music critic Grayson Currin.
Rockcrit-in-a-band is a risky move, albeit a fairly common one
nowadays. Jury's still out as to whether it just opens you up to more
criticism, or insulates you therefrom. Or maybe it comes out even.

Saturday, April 15
Alphas Wear Grey ( http://www.alphasweargrey.com/ ) , The Men, The
Carbuncles ( http://www.bamk.ca/carbuncles.html )
Kings, Raleigh

Saturday, April 15
Patty Hurst Shifter ( http://www.pattyhurstshifter.com )
Raleigh Music Hall, Raleigh

Saturday, April 15
Richard Bacchus ( http://www.richardbacchus.com/ ) , The Ghost of
Saturday Nite ( http://www.myspace.com/theghostofsaturdaynite )
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Richard Bacchus was the guitarist/songwriter in D-Generation who isn't
Jesse Malin. He apparently moved to Raleigh last week. I haven't
actually lived in Raleigh in 10 years, so I can't say whether that
says more about the state of the city, or of him.

Sunday, April 16
Can Joann ( http://www.canjoann.com/ ) , American Princes (
http://www.americanprinces.com/ ) , Midstates (
http://midstatesmusic.com/ )
Local 506, Chapel Hill

OK, you know how we occasionally like to make fun of bands who move
here en-masse from elsewhere? (and truly, it's all in good fun,
because for every Tangeena Barren, we also get a Transportation, or a
Ticonderoga) Anyway, check out American Princes, who moved from New
York to . . . Little Rock. Hoo-boy.

Sunday, April 16
Red Collar ( http://www.myspace.com/redcollarmusic ) , Elevado (
http://myspace.com/elevado ) , Crushed By The Numbers (
http://www.myspace.com/crushedbythenumbers )
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Monday, April 17
Eastern Seaboard ( http://www.theeasternseaboard.com ) , Shullberger
Kings, Raleigh

Bob says:

The Eastern Seaboard + Crowmeat Bob with Shullberger + Eubank &
Mayrose. The Eastern Seaboard from Charlotte put a record out on Black
Saint not too long ago. With Brent Bagwell (Pyramid) on reeds, Jordon
Schranz (Quivers) on double bass, and Seth Nanaa (Indian Summer) on
drums.

Shullberger are the pulsoptional spin-off team of Todd Hershberger and
Carrie Shull on double reeds. Joined by the 'Bank on cello and John
Mayrose on viola da gamba, which is like a 17th-century cello.

Tuesday, April 18
Bowerbirds ( http://www.myspace.com/bowerbirds ) , Half-Handed Cloud (
http://www.halfhandedcloud.com/ ) , Vollmar (
http://www.myspace.com/vollmarmusic )
Bickett Gallery, Raleigh

Half-Handed Cloud are on Asthmatic Kitty & are part of that Danielson
Famille/Sufjan Stevens/religious folks making weird
folkpopwhatevermusic gang. Bowerbirds is the new outfit of
Ticonderoga's Phil Moore, and the songs I heard (and was [*>
http://www.myspace.com/bowerbirds <*] unable to download, drat) were
beautiful.

Tuesday, April 18
Aloha ( http://www.musicofaloha.com/ ) , Appleseed Cast (
http://www.theappleseedcast.com/ ) , Victory at Sea (
http://www.kimcheerecords.com/bands/victoryatsea/ )
Wetlands, Chapel Hill

Wednesday, April 19
The Glass ( http://www.theglassmusic.com/ ) , Single File (
http://www.singlefilerock.com ) , The Hanks (
http://www.myspace.com/thehanks )
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Not the awesome Hanks from Raleigh from the 80s, but rather just some
kinda powerpoppunk band from outta town called The Hanks. I think you
should go & keep requesting "Cigarette" anyway.

Wednesday, April 19
Shakermaker ( http://shakermaker.org/ ) , Charlemagne (
http://www.beholdcharlemagne.com/ )
Wetlands, Chapel Hill

Thursday, April 20
Brunettes (
http://www.lilchiefrecords.com/brunettes/ )
Bickett Gallery, Raleigh

The Brunettes are from Auckland, New Zealand, which is so far from the
US sphere of influence that they can say, without a shred of
sarcasm/irony, that they're looking forward to touring through the
Southern US because of our beautiful countryside. Such openheartedness
should be rewarded with yr presence, Raleighites.

Thursday, April 20
Regina Hexaphone ( http://www.reginahexaphone.com ) , The Port Huron
Statement ( http://www.porthuronstatement.com/ ) , North Elementary (
http://www.northelementary.com )
Kings, Raleigh

Regina Hexaphone feature Jerry Kee (Dish, Duck-Kee studios, Feebles),
Sara Bell (Dish, Shark Quest, Angels of Epistemology), Chris Clemmons
(The Bettys, was it?) and Nathan Brown (Laramie UK). Plus I reckon
Margaret White if she happens to be passing through. They were, IMHO,
the highlight of the Minutemen tribute show in December, even though
(because?) their countryish/folkish "sound" is further from the
Minutemen than most of the other participants.

Port Huron Statement are long-struggling pop-like-early-Bowie-was-pop
stars, were from Boone, past few years from Raleigh.

North Elementary sort of spun off from the Comas back a long time ago,
maybe before most current Comas fans even knew about 'em. John
Harrison & his gang of basement recordists make music that sounds like
what the first Comas record would've sounded like if the drugs had
been more pure.

Thursday, April 20
Grasshopper, Scout's Honor
Reservoir, Carrboro

Friday, April 21
Straight 8s ( http://www.straight8s.com ) , Hearts and Daggers (
http://www.heartsanddaggers.com/ )
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Friday, April 21
Pyramid ( http://www.myspace.com/pyramid ) , The Prayers and Tears of
Arthur Digby Sellers ( http://www.prayersandtears.com/ ) , Meredith
Bragg and the Terminals ( http://www.meredithbragg.com/ )
Kings, Raleigh

The Prayers and Tears of Arthur Digby Sellers are a Chapel Hill band,
members of the Bu Hanan collective. They usually wind up with upwards
of a dozen people contributing various bits to their recordings, but
it's rare to get more than a half-dozen or so of the Bu Hanan folks
together at once to play a gig.

Pyramid, on the other hand, are from Charlotte, and they're an
eight-piece, although honestly I don't know if they manage to drag 'em
all along on tour either. Nevertheless, the prospect of seeing
anything more than 5 people onstage at Kings is an intriguing one.

Friday, April 21
Liz Durrett ( http://www.lizdurrett.com/ ) , Mount Moriah (
http://www.myspace.com/mountmoriah )
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Friday, April 21
The Spinns ( http://www.thespinns.freeservers.com/ ) , The Makeout
Room ( http://www.themakeoutroom.net/ )
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Stomp-and-stutter Triangle-area garagerock courtesy of the Spinns goes
head-on with snotty psych/protopunk garagerock from Asheville, the
Makeout Room (their 2005 EP features a dead-on cover of the 13th Floor
Elevators' "You're Gonna Miss Me" (well, no electric jug, but you
can't hold that against them)). These're two of the best garage-rock
bands in NC right now, and the Cavern Tavern is now & prolly always
will be the best place in NC to see a garage-rock show, so there's yr
Friday Night right there.

Friday, April 21
Second Husband ( http://www.secondhusband.org/ ) , Two Gallants (
http://www.twogallants.com/ ) , Red Smokes White (
http://www.myspace.com/redsmokeswhite )
Wetlands, Chapel Hill

Saturday, April 22
The Reputation ( http://www.reputationmusic.com/ ) , Lucero (
http://www.lucerofamily.net/ ) , Langhorne Slim (
http://www.langhorneslim.com/ )
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Saturday, April 22
Fog ( http://www.fogtimewaster.com/ )
Duke Coffeehouse, Durham

Saturday, April 22
Rainer Maria ( http://www.rainermaria.com/ ) , Bellafea (
http://www.bellafea.com/ )
Wetlands, Chapel Hill

Get there early enough to see Bellafea, y'all, for two reasons: 1)
their spastic staccato mix of trebly guitar+vox and giant drums will
command yr attention far more than whatever else you might find to do,
and 2) Rainer Maria are gonna look extra-crappy by comparison.

And that's partly due to Bellafea's skillz, definitely, but partly
also due to the fact that RM haven't made a decent record since "Past
Worn Searching," and now the NYTimes told me today that the new one
sounds like Rilo Kiley. Just what the world needed. If you're wanting
rock post-midnight, you'd probably be better off at the Reputation
show at Local 506, although I haven't trusted Elizabeth Elsmore since
she suckered me into buying that Sarge CD with the one good song on
it.

Saturday, April 22
Countdown Quartet ( http://www.countdownq.com/ ) , The Last Picture
Show ( http://www.myspace.com/lastpictureshow )
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Saturday, April 22
Table ( http://www.myspace.com/table ) , Lord Neck
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

--------> http://www.trianglerock.com <--------

  • Stuff to do, Week of April 14, 2006, grady, 04/13/2006