ch-scene - Re: stuff to do, week of March 16, 2006

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: john <jphono1 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: stuff to do, week of March 16, 2006
  • Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 08:28:27 -0800 (PST)

Friday, March 24
North Elementary ( http://www.northelementary.com ) , Sweater Weather
( http://www.sweater-weather.com ) , The Mason Brothers (
http://masonbrothers.org ) , Bolo
Wetlands, Chapel Hill

This Show is on Saturday, March 25th (not the 24th)

cheers

grady <grady AT ibiblio.org> wrote: Thursday, March 16
Future Kings of Nowhere ( http://www.thefuturekings.net/ ) , Charles
Latham ( http://www.myspace.com/sircharleslatham )
Joe & Jo's, Durham

Charles Latham is a singer-songwriter of the antifolk school, whatever
that means. I think it means having a normal level of sincerity, as
opposed to the severe surplus carried by the regular-type folkies.
Anyway. He moved here recently from the UK (he's not a Brit, so don't
get yr hopes up) and put out an excellent CD called "Pretty Mouth."
Plus he tells me that he's got a band, so you don't have to suffer
more than a moment or two of "solo dude with guitar"-ism.

Thursday, March 16
Casiotone for the Painfully Alone (
http://www.tomlab.com/front/index.php?action=artist_detail&artist_id=4
) , Donkeys
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Thursday, March 16
Strange ( http://www.thisisstrange.org ) , Darkmeat / Vomit Lasers
Family Band ( http://www.myspace.com/darkmeats ) , Vicariously Through
Cats ( http://www.myspace.com/vicariouslythroughcats ) , The Ginger
Envelope ( http://www.myspace.com/thegingerenvelope )
Reservoir, Carrboro

Friday, March 17
Tiger Bear Wolf ( http://www.tigerbearwolf.com ) , Red Collar (
http://www.myspace.com/redcollarmusic ) , Like a Bear (
http://www.myspace.com/likeabear )
Chaz's Bull City Records, Durham

Chaz's Bull City Records is up on the 2nd floor, there on Perry St.
next to Cosmic Cantina. Red Collar are from Durham; you can tell they
dig Fugazi but to my ears the music comes out sounding a bit more
working-class, a bit more from a "rock" background than from "punk."

Like a Bear and Tiger Bear Wolf are both from Greensboro; dunno what's
up with that whole bear thing. Tiger Bear Wolf are 2
vox/2gtrs,bass,drums; they do the by-now-classic Greensboro thing of
fusing postpunk furor with elements of Southern Rock.

Friday, March 17
North Elementary ( http://www.northelementary.com ) , Matt Pond PA (
http://www.mattpondpa.com/ ) , Youth Group (
http://www.youthgroup.com.au/ )
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Friday, March 17
Clang Quartet, Mowing Lawns ( http://www.dyss.net/mlawns.html ) ,
Jackie-O Motherfucker ( http://www.roadcone.com/artists/jomf.shtml )
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Nightlight sez:

"Oregon ’s famous improv collective mashes together members and
influences, free jazz, noise rock, graffiti, space rock, folk music,
Xeroxed art, the list goes on . . . Results are enchanting. Mandatory
show. Clang Quartet is Jesus by way of Prurient and Einsturzende
Neubeutan, Mowing Lawns bring classic rock through a purple lens of
black magick and incense . . ."

Friday, March 17
Fin Fang Foom ( http://www.lovitt.com/artists/finfangfoom.html ) ,
Jett Rink ( http://www.jett-rink.com/ )
Reservoir, Carrboro

This is Ben's last show on guitar with Jett Rink, before he takes off
for NYC. The rest of the band is being quiet about their future
post-Ben; on the one hand, they've lost & found a guitarist before &
could theoretically do it again. On the other hand, they've already
lived through this once & who knows whether they want to again. The
thing you learn around here, though, is that any band could break up
at any time, so you're better off treating every show like the last.

Saturday, March 18
Goner ( http://www.gonertheband.com/ )
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Saturday, March 18
Strange ( http://www.thisisstrange.org ) , Darkmeat / Vomit Lasers
Family Band ( http://www.myspace.com/darkmeats ) , Vicariously Through
Cats ( http://www.myspace.com/vicariouslythroughcats ) , The Ginger
Envelope ( http://www.myspace.com/thegingerenvelope )
Kings, Raleigh

Saturday, March 18
The Dynamite Brothers ( http://www.dynamitebrothers.com/ )
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Saturday, March 18
Transportation ( http://www.myspace.com/transportation ) , Red Smokes
White ( http://www.myspace.com/redsmokeswhite )
Wetlands, Chapel Hill

Sunday, March 19
Stiff Licker ( http://www.myspace.com/stifflicker ) , Eldritch Horror
( http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=56272 ) , Slugnut (
http://www.slugnut.com ) , Mold, Gnosis
Kings, Raleigh

I don't know who David Mathews was, but he clearly had friends
reaching back to the glory days of the Raleigh thrash/grind/crust
scene; Mold, Gnosis & Eldritch Horror have all been broken up for at
least a decade. The Kings website says:

3pm - 11pm: STIFF LIQUER ... BRITE BOY ... MOLD ... GNOSIS ... ATTU
(w/ special guests Craig Hilton and Damien Hunt) ... KNOWLEDGE IS FOR
FOOLS ... SLUGNUT ... ELDRITCH HORROR

"A Stone Will Mark This Spot" - A benefit for the placement of a
memorial monument on the grave of David Mathews.

Sunday, March 19
The Sibling Project, Wolverines ( http://www.wolverinesrock.com/ ) ,
Mass Movement of the Moth ( http://www.mmmbrains.com/ )
Chaz's Bull City Records, Durham

Monday, March 20
Camera Obscura ( http://www.camera-obscura.net/ )
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Monday, March 20
Brass Castle ( http://www.brasscastle.com/ ) , Midnite Snake (
http://www.birdmanrecords.com/midnitesnake.html )
Wetlands, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, March 21
Flicker ( http://www.chapel-hill.nc.us/flicker )
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Flicker is the bimonthlyish short-film festival that has been
occurring more-or-less consistently in Chapel Hill for the past 11
years or so. Pieces must originate on film (well, or Pixelvision) and
be under 20 minutes long; beyond that, anything goes. Doors at 8:00
p.m., lights go down at 8:30. Contests, cookies, weird short films,
and potentially a numb butt if you don't get there early enough to
stake out a comfy seat.

Tuesday, March 21
Unstable Ensemble ( http://www.family-vineyard.com/ ) , Pulsoptional (
http://www.pulsoptional.org/ ) , Jonathan Kane (
http://myspace.com/jonathankane )
Duke Coffeehouse, Durham

Jonathan Kane played drums for Swans, years ago; He's got a new album
out on Table of the Elements. Pulsoptional is the loosely
Duke-affiliated 21st-century composers collective; I'm not about to
try to characterize their musical leanings, but let's see if they'll
do it themselves . . . "pulsoptional creates and performs new
experimental works for its eclectic instrumentation, commissions new
music by emerging American composers and maintains a repertoire of
experimental "classics" with an emphasis on the American experimental
tradition." Fair enough.

While we're delving into self-description: "The Unstable Ensemble is a
fully free-improvising electro-acoustic group working in abstract
terms of drifting ambience and melody. Often creating meterless drift
and magnifying minute details while pulling out tufts of subtle form
at times, the UE also forges into deeply layered noise and textures.
Originally formed in Bloomington, Indiana in 1999 by guitarist Jason
Bivins the group's membership is constantly evolving all the while
maintaining a core of four: Bivins (electric guitar), Marty Belcher
(soprano sax), Ian Davis (percussion) and Eric Weddle (mixing-board,
cassette recorder)."

Note bene: the Coffeehouse website says "Tony Conrad is not playing
this show." I'm not sure if that means that he *was* going to play
previously but cancelled, or if it's more just a general FYI.

Tuesday, March 21
Bombadil ( http://www.bombadilmusic.com/ )
The Library, Chapel Hill

Wednesday, March 22
Stereolab ( http://www.stereolab.co.uk/ ) , Archer Prewitt (
http://www.thrilljockey.com/bandpage.html?artistnum=44 ) , Sam Prekop
( http://www.thrilljockey.com/bandpage.html?artistnum=29 )
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Wednesday, March 22
usaisamonster ( http://www.loadrecords.com/bands/usaisamonster.html )
, In the Year of the Pig ( http://www.southernloveprod.com/ityotp.htm
) , Man Man ( http://www.wearemanman.com )
Duke Coffeehouse, Durham

USAISAMONSTER are from Brooklyn, I think, and they make psych-rock
that runs the gamut from noodly acoustic drug-folk to wall-of-amps
balls-out freak-yr-head noise.

Man Man are working that clanky/creaky Tom Waitsy nightmare-cabaret
music; last time I saw them, their drummer had a beautiful backlit
applique on his kickdrum; was it of a plane descending in flames?
Memory fuzzy.

In The Year of the Pig play gtr-bass-drums freakout spazz/fuzz rock
with cute little animal hats on their freaked out heads. Still no
progress on a sane video access/storage method, so you can go look for
ITYOTP video [*> http://www.trianglerock.com/video <*] here.

Wednesday, March 22
Malt Swagger, The Joggers ( http://www.thejoggers.com/ ) , Dirty on
Purpose ( http://www.dirtyonpurpose.com/ )
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Malt Swagger make pulsing/throbbing instrumental music that's driven
in swirly circles by tag-team vibrophone/Vibrolux action.

Wednesday, March 22
Maple Stave ( http://www.maplestave.com ) , Cheap Heat, The Drift (
http://www.temporaryresidence.com/bands/thedrift.php )
Wetlands, Chapel Hill

Cheap Heat are a brand-new 3-piece featuring Dave Heller & Jenny
Greer, both formerly of Analogue/Analogue II/Sweet Militia, and Rob
Koegler, who has played drums in various local [mostly jazz] combos.
They make bass/synth/drums long drawn-out repetitive droney type stuff
that'll seem familiar if you ever saw any of Dave & Jenny's previous
bands.

Maple Stave are a spazzy/mathy three-piece who benefit greatly from
the manic-yet-precise drumming of Evan Rowe.

Wednesday, March 22
AUM Rifle ( http://www.theaumrifle.tk/ ) , Adam Lippman (
http://www.myspace.com/adamlippman ) , Mikaela's Fiend (
http://www.limbsanddigits.com/mikaelasfiend/ )
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Nightlight sez:

MF is a guitar/drum duo who could never be described as DAWDLING or
MEANDERING or PASSABLE, Aum Rifle brings as much eclectic clamor
(playing beer bottles, trees) to appalachian banjo tunes as they do to
polka, Lipman: weirdo confessional melody maker.

Thursday, March 23
Adrian Belew ( http://www.adrianbelew.net )
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Thursday, March 23
Lesbians on Ecstasy ( http://www.alien8recordings.com/lesbiansonx.php3
) , Robo Sapien ( http://www.gorobosapien.com/ ) , Dirty Little
Heaters ( http://www.thedirtylittleheaters.com )
Duke Coffeehouse, Durham

Robo Sapien make laptop-hip-hop/electro-disco funk goofball popmuzik.
Dirty Little Heaters make gtr-drums blooz/soul duo-rock. You can
figure out Lesbians on Ecstasy. What a funny-looking word.

Thursday, March 23
Bringerer ( http://www.myspace.com/bringerer ) , Chachalaca
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Chachalaca involves Joe Taylor, who used to be in Capsize 7, but I
haven't yet seen it/him/them so I can't say more. Try googling
Chachalaca & you can read a whole bunch about a Mexican bird.

Bringerer are Ron & Shawn & Bart & Amy and now Kevin Dixon too! They
make Eno (warmjetstyle) meets Cheap Trick meets Chapel Hill Rock, with
gusto.

Thursday, March 23
First Nation ( http://www.myspace.com/firstnationlove )
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Thursday, March 23
Big Fat Gap ( http://www.bigfatgap.com/ ) , Cadillac Stepbacks (
http://www.cadillacstepbacks.com/ ) , Sweet By and By (
http://www.myspace.com/sweetbyby )
Wetlands, Chapel Hill

Thursday, March 23
Tiger Bear Wolf ( http://www.tigerbearwolf.com ) , Cinemechanica (
http://www.cinemechanica.com/ ) , En Garde (
http://www.myspace.com/engardemusic )
Reservoir, Carrboro

Cinemechanica are from Athens; I haven't ever seen them, but they were
tight with the Greensboro bands Disband and Kudzu Wish, and now that
I'm listening to an mp3, I can see why; the dissonant guitars &
hoarsely shouted vocals should make 'em fit right in with current
Greensboro faves Tiger Bear Wolf as well.

En Garde are the emo/altrockish project of ex-Strunken White bassist
John Booker (here on gtr & vox), ably accompanied by a rogues gallery
of ex-members of bands like the Scaries & Sorry About Dresden,
although technically only half of the Dresdens in the band are ex-es.

Friday, March 24
Dan Sartain ( http://www.swamirecords.com/bands/002.html ) , Jenny
Lewis with the Watson Twins (
http://www.team-love.com/bands/jenny/news.html ) , Whispertown 2000 (
http://myspace.com/Whispertown2000 )
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Friday, March 24
The New Flesh ( http://www.angelfire.com/pro/thenewflesh/ ) , Untied
States ( http://www.untiedstates.us/ )
The Werehouse, Winston-Salem

Friday, March 24
Dirty Little Heaters ( http://www.thedirtylittleheaters.com ) ,
Midtown Dickens, Future Kings of Nowhere (
http://www.thefuturekings.net/ )
Wetlands, Chapel Hill

The downtown-Durham crew piles in the van & heads over to Chapel Hill;
it'll be like hitting Joe & Jo's without having to drive to Durham
(but without the burgs-n-fries, either--and is Hectors still closed
due to their move?).

Friday, March 24
The Physics of Meaning ( http://www.thephysicsofmeaning.com/ )
Bickett Gallery, Raleigh

Physics of Meaning are a (mostly) Chapel Hill band, members of the Bu
Hanan collective, and thus prone to elaborate arrangements for their
songs of existential uncertainty and longing. Frontman Daniel Hart is
a violinist; his elaborate arrangements have been known to involve
cramming a string quartet onstage next to the gtrs-bass-drums, which
should be pretty entertaining in the tiny, stageless Bickett space.
Sensurround. Video at the bottom of the page [*>
http://www.trianglerock.com/video <*] here.

Friday, March 24
North Elementary ( http://www.northelementary.com ) , Sweater Weather
( http://www.sweater-weather.com ) , The Mason Brothers (
http://masonbrothers.org ) , Bolo
Wetlands, Chapel Hill

Friday, March 24
Elevator Action ( http://www.elevatoractionband.com/ ) , Scott
Phillips, A Rooster for the Masses (
http://www.myspace.com/aroosterforthemasses )
Kings, Raleigh

Scott Phillips is the keyboard-playing singer for Goner; he also owns
an accordion, and knows how to use it.

A Rooster for the Masses make pulsing bassy indie-pop that harkens
back to that confusing moment in the UK in the early 80s when bands
like Gang of Four were vacillating between punk and disco, and Joy
Division was evolving-via-suicide into New Order.

Elevator Action are from Charlotte, and they make lightweight
glam-punky altrock, kinda like if What Peggy Wants had survived the
grunge era & moved to Charlotte, instead of breaking up.

Friday, March 24
Dead Elephant Bicycle, Crooks and Nannies (
http://www.myspace.com/crooksandnannies )
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Friday, March 24
Emperor X ( http://www.emperorx.net/ )
Duke Coffeehouse, Durham

Friday, March 24
Jule Brown ( http://www.julebrown.org ) , The Balance (
http://www.thebalanceband.com/ )
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Jule Brown make droney southern backwoods blues-gospel; last time I
checked, the Balance make indie-rock-pop, except at Christmastime.

Saturday, March 25
L in Japanese ( http://artists.iuma.com/IUMA/Bands/L_in_Japanese/ ) ,
The Nein ( http://www.thenein.com/ ) , Robo Sapien (
http://www.gorobosapien.com/ )
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Lanky Chapel Hill MC/DJ L in Japanese recently spent a year or two
living in France; I haven't yet heard how the experience may have
warped his already deeply disturbed mind.

Robo Sapien make the laptop-hip-hop/electro-disco dance-party jamz.

This is the Nein's first local show since former bassist Casey Burns
moved to Portland. I was eavesdropping on their practice a few weeks
ago, and based on the 2 minutes I heard, they've clearly gone emo. OK,
that's not true, but given how much I like their most recent EP (which
includes a blistering cover of the Zombies' "Butcher's Tale"), I'm
running out of stuff to tease them about.

Sunday, March 26
En Garde ( http://www.myspace.com/engardemusic )
WXDU 88.7 FM, Durham

En Garde contains former (and the occasional current) members of
Strunken White, the Scaries, Sorry About Dresden, and a couple of
other bands whose names escape me. In their full-blown electric live
format, they make big loud emotional alt-rock-rock. For this show,
they've accepted my challenge to strip away the layers of overdriven
guitars & let us hear what's going on with the songs themselves.
(note: this is a rarity for us; we're not at all scared of a loud rock
band. But we figure that since En Garde have played approximately 400
local shows over the past 6 months, a little change might do everybody
some good). 5:00 p.m., 88.7 FM or www.wxdu.org

Sunday, March 26
Ben Davis + The Jetts ( http://www.lovitt.com/artists/bendavis.html )
, Mates of State ( http://www.matesofstate.com ) , Maria Taylor (
http://www.saddle-creek.com/bands/mariataylor/ )
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Sunday, March 26
Nathan Asher & the Infantry ( http://www.nathanasher.com/ ) , Rick
Brantley ( http://www.rickbrantley.com/index.html )
Local 506, Chapel Hill

--------> http://www.trianglerock.com <--------

"A day without sunshine...is night" -steve martin
http://mail.yahoo.com