ch-scene - Re: best way to support artists?

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: tommy Gibson <tcgibson AT mindspring.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: best way to support artists?
  • Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 15:28:44 -0500

Mr. Hepler,
Allow me to repeat my question ... How 'bout them Blue
Devils, eh?

James Hepler wrote:
Fuck those guys.

--- tommy gibson <tcgibson AT mindspring.com> wrote:

Whoa!

Uh ... so .... how 'bout them Blue Devils, eh?

grady wrote:

Being greedy to sell their own CDs of their own

music that they wrote &
performed and (if they're on a small indie label)

might well have also
paid to record, while they're on tour in a

(probably gas-slurping) van,
sleeping on peoples' floors, eating shitty road

food, having to either
burn up their vacation time, quit their jobs, or

maintain the kind of
slacker jobs that allow them to take off for weeks

at a time, getting
paid a hundred bucks apiece on a "good night" and

twenty bucks (or
nothing) on a "bad night"? Greedy to charge more

than $12 for a CD, when
the average retail price of a [non-loss-leader

Best Buy-super-sale] CD
in the real world is like $16?

Give me a fucking break, man. If they're selling

the CD for $15 and you
know it's at CD Alley for $12, go fucking buy it

for $12, but leave the
self-righteous attitude out of it. Yeesh. Is there

any situation in your
world where the band's interests come first,

before those of the fucking
CD distributors even, for chrissake?

Ross

p.s. Yes, we're all aware that you often pay

touring bands more than
their entitled percentage of the door when

attendance is low, and yadda
yadda. Nobody's seriously questioning your

dedication to the bands &
etc. Which is why I find it so bizarre that you

find it so easy to
accuse bands of being "greedy" in this instance.

If nothing else man,
fuck, let the market do the work--if the CD is in

stock at the local
store for cheaper, and you know it, then you can

buy it there.

On the other hand, if you're not sure if the local

store has it in
stock, then maybe that says something about the

local store, but in any
case, no offense to the local store owners, but my

allegiance is to the
band every time.

p.p.s. Half the people I know wait & buy the CD at

CD Alley or wherever
anyway, because they don't like carrying a CD

around with them all night
at a show. Pockets never have grown to be CD-size,

except for those
goddamn cargo pants, which I wore in middle school

& don't plan to do so
again.

Glenn Boothe / Local 506 wrote:

Back to your A and B, I would NOT buy a CD from a

band if they are

selling it for more than $12, and I see that at

506 from time to time.

Again, the band is cutting out not one but two

middle men (distributor

and record store,) so for them to sell it higher

than the local record

store, then they are the ones being greedy. I'd

much rather support

the record store in that case.

-- ch-scene: the list that mirrors

alt.music.chapel-hill --