ch-scene - Re: Bacharach

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: David Menconi (News - Features) <dmenconi AT newsobserver.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Bacharach
  • Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 14:29:12 -0500

Anyone going to Bacharach at the Symphony this weekend?

I saw him in this "touring pops" context five years ago at the
National Arts Centre in Ottawa and it was bloody amazing. It's not
_just_ the obvious hits, he does go a little deeper into his oeuvre.
Even though Burt (or the orchestra leader) had really Jon Secada
taste in male vocalists. Plus Burt sings. A little.

If you're even considering it, go. Worth every penny. Plus you can
wear your Lud t-shirt and swear around the pops subscribers.
Secretly, they love it.

I went to watch about an hour of the rehearsals a little while ago, & I'd highly recommend going. I walked in as they were playing "What The World Needs Now," which was followed by one hit after another: "Walk on By," "This Guys In Love W/You," "I Say A Little Prayer," "24 Hours From Tulsa," "One Less Bell," "San Jose," etc. it was almost like an acid flashback to right back in the middle of my parents' den circa 1970; but in a good way. anyway, it sounded great.

also from the Burt files, interview w/him ran in last Sunday's paper:

http://www.newsobserver.com/308/story/402113.html

your full-service media slave,

David Menconi/Raleigh (NC) News & Observer
919/829-4759
http://blogs.newsobserver.com/beat/index.php
http://www.OffTheRecordBook.com

  • Bacharach, Bryk, 02/24/2006
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Bacharach, News - Features, 02/24/2006