ch-scene - Stuff to do, week of February 4, 2006

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Stuff to do, week of February 4, 2006
  • Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2006 12:22:32 -0500

There's a series of music-related movies screening on Tuesdays in February at the Carrboro ArtsCenter; this Tuesday the 7th it's the most excellent Fugazi documentary Instrument, directed by Jem Cohen, at 7:30 and 10:00.

Saturday, February 4
Red Collar [http://www.redcollarcompany.com], Dirty Little Heaters
[http://www.thedirtylittleheaters.com]
305 South, Durham

This is the weekly "Metal Matinee" at 305 South (4:20 p.m., boys &
girls), though strictly speaking neither Red Collar nor Dirty Little
Heaters are metal bands (shhh! don't tell! For this show they're
appearing under the aliases "Dirty Little Black Mass" and "Blood
Priest Collar").

Red Collar make stompy clangy postpunk "rock" music, but I haven't
seen them, only heard their 2005 demo. Dirty Little Heaters are a
gtr/drums two-piece fronted by Reese Gibbs, who has the hugest
blues-shouter bellow of a voice that I think I've ever heard in this
town. They're wonderful.

Saturday, February 4
The Whole World Laughing, In the Year of the Pig
[http://www.southernloveprod.com/ityotp.htm], Calabi Yau
[http://www.calabiyau.com/], Hide and Seek
[http://www.freewebs.com/hideandseeek]
Chaz's Bull City Records, Durham

Chaz's Bull City Records is upstairs, 2 doors down from Cosmic
Cantina, just off 9th Street in Durham. His space is just the right
size for shows--intimate-to-cramped, depending on the turnout, but
with a couple of side rooms you can escape to, so it's never
claustrophobic.

Calabi Yau are from Charlotte, and they make crazed spazzy
gtr-bass-drums-squawking freakout rock that sounds like what you'd get
if you raised a child on nothing but Primus and the Boredoms.

The Whole World Laughing is Dave Cantwell on that crazy bi-amped bass
rig that he used to sport in Razzle, and Scotty "Clang Quartet" Irving
on drums. They make a giant noise, and it is good.

In the Year of the Pig were apparently onstage when that crazed
fuckhead stole the mic & started ranting during the Minutemen tribute
show, but I was long gone by then, so I dunno how they reacted.

Saturday, February 4
des_ark [http://www.des-ark.org], Billy Sugarfix
[http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/billysugarfix.htm], Bibis Ellison
[http://bibisellison.elektrikcoma.com/], Chachalaca, Jen Richelson
Wetlands, Chapel Hill

This is a benefit for the Family Violence Prevention Center. Des_Ark
you maybe know about, given how many local top-20s of last year their
album was on. This time it's just Aimee with some guitars, although
I'm told that's a limited-time thing, so get it while you can, before
you gotta get the earplugs back out.

I believe Chachalaca involves Joe Taylor, who used to be in a band
called Capsize 7 way back in the day. Billy Sugarfix of course you
know; I don't know Bibis or Jen, but perhaps you do as well.

Saturday, February 4
Cinemechanica [http://www.cinemechanica.com/], A Rooster for the
Masses [http://www.myspace.com/aroosterforthemasses], The Trousers, We
Vs. The Shark [http://www.myspace.com/weversustheshark/]
Kings, Raleigh

Night 2 of the WKNC Double Barrel Benefit. We Vs the Shark &
Cinemechanica are both from Athens; maybe now that WKNC have a jillion
watts, they can be heard that far south/west?

Monday, February 6
American Aquarium
[http://www.clearchannelnewmusicnetwork.com/artist/americanaquarium],
Sweater Weather [http://www.sweater-weather.com], Phonograph
[http://www.myspace.com/phonographny]
Wetlands, Chapel Hill

Sweater Weather are one of the handful of UNC-undergrad bands playing
clubs around town, or at least of those who can be readily identified
as such. I've only heard a couple of songs on the internet & haven't
seen them live, but Glenn at Local 506 has good things to say. The
music I've heard is chamber-pop; the songs have multiple movements,
even. Very pretty, catchy, and occasionally rising to anthemic
crescendo, even.

Wednesday, February 8
Recess [http://www.dyss.net/nightlight/]
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Recess is a more-or-less monthly experimental/avant music night that
invites different local performers to try their hand at doing
something different. I haven't seen a lineup yet, although I heard a
rumor that Captain Saturn was gonna be playing. Here's hoping he pulls
out that autoharp again (and takes a belt-sander to it--sorry, Hepler!)

Wednesday, February 8
Skeleton Key [http://www.skeletonkey.org], Kolyma
[http://www.myspace.com/kolyma], Giraffes
Kings, Raleigh

This is under the auspice of Crowmeat Bob's weekly skronk night at
Kings; here's how he describes the show:

"Yep, it's the same Skeleton Key from back in the day. There in your
memory lock'd. They're on Ipecac now. And perhaps more importantly
have the bass player from the Lounge Lizards (www.skeletonkey.org).
Foul deeds will rise from Kolyma."

Wednesday, February 8
The Cartridge Family [http://www.cartridge-family.com/]
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Thursday, February 9
Work Clothes [http://www.workclothesmusic.com/], Schooner
[http://www.schoonermusic.com], Shakermaker [http://shakermaker.org/]
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Schooner are from Raleigh & they make moody pop; more than one person
has singled out their contribution to the new "3x4" comp as the best
part, although I like all of it 'bout equally, myself.

Work Clothes, in case you haven't seen 'em in a few months/years, are
no longer that tiny quiet two-piece with brushes-on-drums and whispery
vocals. They're a five-piece (gtr-gtr-piano-bass-drums), and they're
majestically huge when they wanna be.

This is also a CD-release for Shakermaker, but I dunno who they are.

Thursday, February 9
Eyes to Space [http://www.eyestospace.net/], Girls on Film
[http://www.girlsonfilm.nu/], Minutemaids
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Girls on Film are an all-woman New Wave/synthpop band from Florida. As
far as I know they're not, in fact, an all-woman Duran Duran tribute
band, although I'm sure they've given the notion some thought.

Eyes To Space are nerdy synth-prog-rock from Chapel Hill. Minutemaids
were formed specifically to play the Minutemen tribute show at 506
last year; I'd already retreated in fear from the show by the time
they went on, so I missed 'em.

Friday, February 10
Jule Brown [http://www.julebrown.org]
Fuse, Chapel Hill

Friday, February 10
Cantwell, Gomez, Jordan [http://www.cantwellgomezandjordan.com],
Orthrelm, Pykrete [http://www.bullfightparty.org/cirox/pykrete],
Calabi Yau [http://www.calabiyau.com/], Boyzone
[http://kodakculture.org/katherine/boyszone]
Wetlands, Chapel Hill

Orthrelm = DC gtr/drums duo making crazy spazzy endlessly-repeating
freakout-OCD-metal, or something. Calabi Yau = bastard children of
Primus & Naked City. Cantwell Gomez Jordan = someone finally figured
out how to make yr nervous twitch "rock". Pykrete = Chuck Johnson
making laptop click-click-buzz. Boyzone = get naked & roll around on
the floor.

Friday, February 10
Another Tombstone Dream, The Miss Fits
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Yes Virginia, the Miss Fits are an all-woman Misfits tribute.

Saturday, February 11
Mudboy [http://www.mudboymusic.com ], Yomul Yuk
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Nightlight sez:

"Providence black magic! Mudboy's distinctively occult vibe transforms
venues into sets from an 70s horror film. Wolves howl, incense is
burned, disembodied vox and eerie repetitive organ lines slowly creep
into the mix. A recommended live show! Also along for the ride are
some Canadian puppeteers/noisemakers."

Saturday, February 11
Cantwell, Gomez, Jordan [http://www.cantwellgomezandjordan.com], Eyes
to Space [http://www.eyestospace.net/], Kolyma
[http://www.myspace.com/kolyma]
Duke Coffeehouse, Durham

This is a Ms. Films benefit. Kolyma are from Raleigh & make heavy
freakout rock with a whole lotta ranting overtop. Cantwell Gomez &
Jordan are my favorite band. Eyes to Space are nerds who play synths
(not to be confused with synth-nerds).

Saturday, February 11
The Rachel Nevadas [http://www.therachelnevadas.com/], Bibis Ellison
[http://bibisellison.elektrikcoma.com/], The Old Ceremony
[http://www.theoldceremony.com/]
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Sunday, February 12
Tiger Bear Wolf
WXDU 88.7 FM, Durham

Tiger Bear Wolf are from Greensboro. There is a fairly long-running
tradition in Greensboro of making hyper/heavy running-headlong
post-emo guitar-rock, and Tiger Bear Wolf are the current masters of
that particular subgenre. Two vocalists, one doing the screamo and the
other sounding like Lemmy, plus ex-Strunken White guitarist Noah
Howard.

5:00 p.m. 88.7FM or [http://www.wxdu.org] www.wxdu.org.

--------> http://www.trianglerock.com <--------