ch-scene - What is up with Merge?

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "Glenn Boothe / Local 506" <gboothe2 AT earthlink.net>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: What is up with Merge?
  • Date: 1 Feb 2006 16:50:58 -0800

Okay, so Merge Records*, a name inspired by a road sign I believe, has
been around for over fifteen years. Then, last year there was a
dance-oriented night called Merge at the late-Martin Street Music Hall.
Now, today, I get a letter in the mail from Merge Productions, based
in Durham no less, that is "tailored to the unsigned professional
artist and their quest to perform live." I don't know what that means
either, but you wouldn't even need to run a google search to realize
this is a bad name for a music-oriented company, just try the yellow
pages.

glenn

* funny, at the time, I suggested that Merge might be a bad name, a
little too similar to existing indie label, Emergo (you know, home of
all those Senator Flux CDs** in the used bins...) Even funnier
might've been my suggestion that Slack Motherfucker might not be the
best song to release as a single.

** oh yeah, i like Senator Flux.

  • What is up with Merge?, Glenn Boothe / Local 506, 02/01/2006