ch-scene - [Internationalist Books] EVENTS: 25th Anniversary, 'Veggie Revolution'

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Internationalist Books <ibooks AT internationalistbooks.org>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: internationalistbooks AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Internationalist Books] EVENTS: 25th Anniversary, 'Veggie Revolution'
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 14:24:35 -0500

Internationalist Books & Community Center
405 W Franklin St
Chapel Hill, NC 27516
919-942-1740
http://internationalistbooks.org/

HELP CELEBRATE 25 YEARS OF INTERNATIONALIST BOOKS
INTEREST MEETING -- TUESDAY, JAN 24 @ IBOOKS, 7pm

Internationalist Books and Community Center openly invites the general
public to participate in shaping the vision for the bookstore as we
celebrate our 25th Anniversary in 2006. We're holding an interest meeting
on Tuesday January 24th at 7:00pm at the bookstore to enlist those who would
like to be involved in the ongoing planning effort for three large
commemorative events, as well as other programs throughout the year. We're
looking for former volunteers who have been away from home for a while but
would like to return to short-term service. We're looking for friends of
Bob Sheldon who would like to help us carry on with his legacy. We're
looking for motivated community members who are looking for new ways to
champion the rights of workers, and other underrepresented groups.

If you can't make it on Tuesday night, but still want to be involved with
this year's celebration, check in on our efforts at our blog (
www.ibooks25.blogspot.com). You can also contact us by phone (942-1740),
email (ibooks AT internationalistbooks.org), or stop by to learn how you can
help.

CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS

The 2006 SOUNDSCAPE MOVEMENT FEST is currently accepting submissions for
performers, teachers and volunteers for Thursday May 18 to Sunday, May
21rst. The SoundScape Movement Fest will attempt to foster the education
and art of live music and dance collaboration. The festival will feature
nightly performances by local and touring artists at several diverse
venues including the Nightlight, the Carrboro ArtsCenter, the Local 506,
Balanced Movement, Carolina Fitness, and the Internationalist Bookstore
& Community Center. During the day, there will be various workshops and
classes focusing on improvisation with dancers and musicians,
sound/noise experimentation and video art presentations. The mission is
to provide an alternative environment for ground-breaking, risk-taking
and provocative performance art, dance, music and video collaboration.

Please send all proposals for workshops or
performances and video materials to:
Alexis Mastromichalis
208 A. Purefoy Rd.
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
Mastromichalis at yahoo.com
919.923.7910
Deadline: March 15, 2006

MONDAY, JANUARY 23 - VOLUNTEER MEETING FOR SOUNDSCAPE FEST @ IBOOKS, 7pm

Monday, January 23rd at 7pm is a volunteer/collective
meeting to coordinate events for the SoundScape Fest.
All people are welcome to assist in planning, teaching
workshops, performing and all other volunteer
coordination.

WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 25 - AUTHOR VISIT: 'VEGGIE REVOLUTION' @ IBOOKS, 7pm

North Carolina authors Sally and Sara Kate Kniedel will present their new book
"Veggie Revolution: Smart Choices for a Healthy Body and a Healthy Planet".
The book is a guidebook to enjoying the benefits of the vegetarian lifestyle,
while at the same time, utilizing it as a form of environmental activism.
Robert F. Kennedy, Jr. has said of this book, "it is an important expose of
America's meat industry". The authors will share stories from their visits to
factory and family farms, answer questions, and sign copies of the book. All
are invited to share in a healthy potluck.

For more information on this event please email Biff Hollingsworth, at
citizenplastic AT gmail.com or call Internationalist Books in Chapel Hill at
919-942-1740.

  • [Internationalist Books] EVENTS: 25th Anniversary, 'Veggie Revolution', Internationalist Books, 01/23/2006