ch-scene - Stuff to Do, Week of December 23, 2005

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Stuff to Do, Week of December 23, 2005
  • Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 17:03:16 -0500

On the off chance you haven't had enough, I'll be at WXDU from 3-7 p.m. on Sunday the 25th, playing non-sucky Christmas music. I have a secret stash of roughly ~1200 Xmas songs, so bring on the [non-sucky] requests.

Otherwise:

Friday, December 23
Acoustic Songwriters Night (Xmas Edition)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Short sets by the following members of the following bands:

Seamus & Matt (SNMNMNM)
Roberto & Diane (New Town Drunks)
Eric Roehrig (Erie Choir)
Sara Bell (Regina Hexaphone)
Kirk Ross (Lud)
Shannon O'Connor
Michael & Marc (Snatches of Pink)
Josh Nowlan (Cities)

Friday, December 23
Dexter Romweber [http://www.dexterromweber.com]
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Dexter Romweber is one of the few wild-young-tough
rockabilly-revivalist freaks who managed to sucessfully navigate the
transition from drunken/drugged-out garage-rock wildman to
more-or-less mature adult sane/sober garage-rock wildman. And
remarkably, the music didn't suffer.

Tuesday, December 27
A/V Geeks [http://www.avgeeks.com]
Kings, Raleigh

Skip sez:

In the spirit of post-Christmas, the time where you've already broken
half of your gifts, here are some films about toys. Includes: Toys,
Toy Telephone Truck, Buy And Buy, Santa's Toys, lots of 80s toy
commercials and more!

Thursday, December 29
io, En Garde [http://www.myspace.com/engardemusic], Tiger Bear Wolf,
Farewell
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

En Garde is the new project of ex-Strunken White bassist John Booker;
he's backed by the former Sorry About Dresden rhythm section, Matt
Tomich & James Hepler, as well as ex-Scaries guitarist Bill Fischer.
Plus a couple of other folks who've been added since last I caught up
with them.

Tiger Bear Wolf are from Greensboro & they sound like it; they make
fast-rolling postpunk "rock" with duelling vocalists, one in the
traditional screamo spazz vein, and one who sounds like Lemmy. They've
also got ex-Strunken White guitarist Noah Howard.

Friday, December 30
Glissade [http://www.myspace.com/glissade], The Men
Kings, Raleigh

Saturday, December 31
The Wusses, Hacky-Sac Crew, Gerty [http://www.gerty.org]
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Gerty's on first, with their ultra-danceable 80s-revivalist pop,
complete with new propulsive power courtesy ex-Butchies drummer
Melissa York.

2nd comes the Wusses at around 11:30, so's they can be onstage at
midnight rocking you with their vast repertoire of 70s soft-rock hits
as you cast your eyes desperately about the room for a potentially
inviting pair of unkissed lips.

Lastly, continuing a local New Years tradition begun at the Big House
(no, not Central Prison), sloppy joke-rappers the Hacky Sac Crue will
drive you screaming out into the cold night of 2006.

Saturday, December 31
Dexter Romweber [http://www.dexterromweber.com]
Kings, Raleigh

Saturday, December 31
The Vibe Killers
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

The Vibe Killers are the drunken bar-rock party project of
ex-Backsliders frontman Chip Robinson, ably accompanied by Dave
Bartholomew and ex-Whiskeytown drummer Skillet Gilmore.

Saturday, December 31
Twilighter [http://www.twilighterband.com/], New Town Drunks
[http://www.thirdmind.org/featured_artists/NTD/index.html]
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Sunday, January 1
The Spinns [http://www.thespinns.freeservers.com/], The Jet-Set
The Cave, Chapel Hill

I have to say, the newly non-smoking front room of the Cave is
actually pretty damn smoke-free; you can occasionally catch a whiff of
smoke drifting forward from the still-smoky back room, but it's so
much more livable than the old way that I'm not gonna complain. Plus
you liquor snobs can do that thing now, too.

The Spinns are bringing their friends [http://myspace.com/theejetset]
The Jet-Set down from Milwaukee; 2006 may or may not suck ass, but at
least the first 24 hours can be garage-rockriffic.

--------> http://www.trianglerock.com <--------

  • Stuff to Do, Week of December 23, 2005, grady, 12/23/2005