ch-scene - baity hill/chapel hill, nc

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: HeronLagoonFL AT cs.com
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: baity hill/chapel hill, nc
  • Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2005 18:53:03 EST

Psycho/baity hill/chapel hill, nc

CGastonC at aol.com CGastonC at aol.com
Sat Apr 24 22:52:54 EDT 2004

one who lived in the baity house??

i lived there from 1981 to 1989 and i bought those gold fish for the lilly
pond/and was best friends of chesley baity/fascinating lady and family.

i have a friend in durham who is going by to try to rescue them if they kept
it/from the trees on the right of the house it seems they could be alive.

so sad/so sad

charlie in nyc

i was shocked when i saw it. i actually lived there when i was a student
andwhen it was the russian house (friend and i painted the red mailbox when
wemoved in:-) it was really an amazing house and only needed, at the
time(1991-ish) some plumbing and electrical renovation as the structure was
quitesound.
the old wood paneling was exquisite. as i remember, it was builtaround the
20's
(definitely that style) so i would have thought that it couldbe historically
protected. there was a goldfish pond that weuncovered-probably hadn't been
tended in about 15 years at the time and thesebeautiful giant japanese
goldfish
were still thriving after being covered inyears of leaf piles.poor little
fish-after surviving all of that i guess they finally met theirend with a
bulldozer.ironically, i was just about to take some friends new to town over
for
the'check where i used to live' tour and saw the carnage...nice.beth
turner-mosher

Picked up an old thread here. I've just seen the building plans and have
mixed feelings - mostly grateful that the house will be left standing.
My dad, Prof. H. G. Baity built the house himself with one or two laboror
helpers in 1940 in French Normandy style. I have some pictures if anyone
cares.
The panelling inside is pecky cypress. The beams in the porch came from my
grandfather's farm in piedmont N. Carolina. It was a wonderful house to grow
up
in!
Bill Baity

  • baity hill/chapel hill, nc, HeronLagoonFL, 12/05/2005