ch-scene - Long time no see and Googlism Fun

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "Chris Riser" <cwileyriser AT hotmail.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Long time no see and Googlism Fun
  • Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 13:34:20 -0500

Hello to those who I haven't seen or talked to in a a long time. My wife
Betsy and I and our two kids, Everett (3) and Cate (2), live in Lexington,
Georgia, just outside of Athens. Music-wise, I've been playing various
instruments (bass, banjo, keys) in Summer Hymns (www.summerhymns.com) for
about 2 1/2 years. We played at the Duke Coffeehouse and at the Bickett
Gallery about a month ago, and we'll likely be back up that way in the
spring. A few years ago, I did a few short tours playing upright bass with
fellow former Pine State-er Chris Lee (www.chrislee.org), who's been in NYC
for the last 9 years or so (and whose wife Julie just had a beautiful baby,
Henry, a few weeks ago; Chris met Julie at a Pine State show in NYC many
years ago). Before and during all that, I was playing a lot of upright bass
doiing old-time string band music with a couple of groups, and even won 2nd
place for old-time bass at the NC Mountain State Fair in Asheville. Oh, and
I played bass for the world premiere of a comic ballet called "Chicken" at
the Diana Wortham Theater in Asheville - all old-time tunes with a chicken
theme, and ballet performed by dancers from the American Ballet Theatre,
Atlanta Ballet, Pittsburgh Ballet, etc. That was pretty freakin' funny. If
you ever see it listed anywhere, check it out.

I've got a pretty nice "pro-am" Pro Tools studio with lots of nice mics and
outboard gear here in Lexington in an awesome 1200 square foot loft space
(with plenty of sleeping room, a full bath, and a full kitchen) just down
the street from my house. So, if anyone from the Triangle is playing in
Athens and needs a place to stay, or if anyone is looking to get away to do
some recording, send me an email (criser AT riserlaw.com).

Anyway.... the thing that inspired me to post here was the result from
"Googlisming" 'Pine State' at www.googlism.com. Every once in a while I
Google 'Pine State' to see if we're still getting airplay (still do
occasionally) or if we pop up anywhere new online. Today, I saw a link to
googlism.com and decided to try it.

Here's what I got:

1. Pine State is like having a 'retailing partner'
2. Pine State is your best country band
3. Pione State is really thru
4. Pine State is not exceeded and it never passes over the peak
5. Pine State is the company you need to get the job done
6. Pine State is starting a program to stock the dog "candies" in their
vending machines

I can't decide which one is my favorite.

Hope all is well for all in the Triangle.

Chris Riser
criser AT riserlaw.com