ch-scene - Live A/V Freaking Monday Night - Lovid @ NIGHTLIGHT

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: ryan AT dyss.net
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Live A/V Freaking Monday Night - Lovid @ NIGHTLIGHT
  • Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2005 20:13:41 -0500

This isn't on our website, due to an unending array of technical problems -
but
this is probably the show at Nightlight I'm most excited about this month:

Monday 10/10 :::

LoVID / TOMANDANDY / CHOCOLATE CITY COUNCIL

LOVID (Tali Hinkis and Kyle Lapidus) scrambles ordinary TV output into
hyperkinetic audiovisual abstraction using homemade electronic devices,
repurposed analog toys, and low-res video loops. In the duo's real time
performances, an intense, variable audio signal disrupts the video's
horizontal
raster lines into swirling or stroboscopic patterns. Whether projected on a
large screen or worn on the body as mini-monitors, the static sizzles and
mesmerizes in an orgy of post-consumer creative destruction. LoVid's
installations and object based work includes video stills transformed into
fabric patchwork, wall collages, laser etched tiles, electronic mixed media
sculptures, and photos. In these, LoVid focuses on the materialization of
glitch video and electric signal into fixed objects.

Check out some of the videos at
http://www.ignivomous.org/projects/lovid/index.html#
-They're KILLER.

If you're into this sort of thing AT ALL, you shouldn't miss this!

Also playing are TOMANDANDY, two really enthusiastic Durham youths who rattle
around duct-tape guitars filled with popcorn and contact mics, manipulate tape
loops, and produce some ear-splitting bliss - You're like, "wow, I wasn't
doing
anything nearly that awesome when I was seventeen!"

CHOCOLATE CITY COUNCIL is me and David Harper's contact mic/trombone jam duo.
First and last show.

Show starts at 11PM following trivia, there will be no lolly-gagging between
sets though // It's $5.

NIGHTLIGHT // 405 1/2 W. Rosemary st, Chapel Hill NC