ch-scene - Stuff to Do, Week of August 5, 2005

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Stuff to Do, Week of August 5, 2005
  • Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2005 18:08:41 -0400

Friday, August 5
Jule Brown [http://www.julebrown.org], Shannon O'Connor
Fuse, Chapel Hill

Mark Holland, the voice of Jule Brown, says "We will be performing songs from our forthcoming album for Enabler Records (NY,NY), tentatively titled "Lemon Lite", which is being recorded with Rick Miller (SCOTS) and Dean Wareham (Galaxy 500/Luna) in September and mixed by Bryce Goggin (of Pavement/Ramones/Breeders/Phish fame)in Oct. Due out Spring 2006.

There is no cover. Shannon, who has a new album out now, will play from 10:30 until 11:30 PM. Jule Brown will be on from 12 to 2 am. A great place to break between bands at 506 and elsewhere. Food and music served all night long."

Friday, August 5
Brian Jonestown Massacre [http://www.bomp.com/BJM.html], Quarter After [http://www.thequarterafter.com/], Innaway [http://www.innawaymusic.com/], Glissade [http://www.myspace.com/glissade]
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Friday, August 5
Dexter Romweber [http://www.dexterromweber.com]
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Saturday, August 6
Fontana, Jaguaro, Wigg Report
Joe & Jo's, Durham

If Joe & Jo's gets any better at picking up the Durham rockshow slack this summer, they may get stuck with the job on a more permanent basis.

Jaguaro rock-and-stomp duo-style;I don't think there has ever been a drummer who looked quite so happy just to be there as Maria Brubeck.

Wigg Report supplement their front-porch 4-track drunken folk with liberal doses of reeds courtesy of former Beulah saxist Ben Riseling.

Saturday, August 6
Lou Ford [http://www.louford.com/], Patty Hurst Shifter [http://www.pattyhurstshifter.com], The Imperial Pints
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Lou Ford broke up on July 4, 2003. I can only assume that it didn't stick. Country-tinged bar-rockers Patty Hurst Shifter have a new EP out now (I believe this is a CD-release shindig for that, in fact), with a full-length due out in the fall.

Saturday, August 6
Goner [http://www.gonertheband.com/], The Greatest Hits [http://www.thegreatesthits.org/], Media Circus
Kings, Raleigh

Sunday, August 7
Billy Sugarfix [http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/billysugarfix.htm]
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Sunday, August 7
Oneida [http://www.enemyhogs.com], Birds of Avalon [http://www.myspace.com/birdsofavalon], The Know [http://www.theknowrocks.com], Plastic Crimewave Sound
Kings, Raleigh

Oneida are from Brooklyn, NY. There are a lot of bands dabbling in "psychedelia" nowadays, but too many of them are really just retreading acid-rock or psych-folk or whichever Love album is their favorite.

Oneida, on the other hand, have devoted several long albums over the past few years to crystallizing creeping paranoia & swirly freakout into thick slabs of pure sound. And when they break out a string section, you can bet the charts aren't just lifted from Jack Nitzsche. Not that there'd be anything wrong with that.

El BOA are the post-Cherry Valence ROCK outfit of Paul Siler & Cheetie Kumar; they're joined by Weather frontman Craig Tilley & a coupla dudes from Strange and Dynamite Brothers.

Sunday, August 7
Wires on Fire [http://www.wiresonfire.com/], Instruments [http://www.orangetwin.com/], Maple Stave [http://www.maplestave.com]
Local 506, Chapel Hill

I finally got around to seeing the Maple Stave a couple of weeks ago, and I can fully endorse their brand of endlessly-circling mathrocky power-trio-ness. From Durham.

Tuesday, August 9
Need New Body [http://www.neednewbody.com/], Pit er Pat [http://www.piterpat.com/], Cantwell, Gomez, Jordan [http://www.cantwellgomezandjordan.com]
Local 506, Chapel Hill

When Need New Body came through last year, Dave Cantwell had this to say: "From Philly: a spectacle but not just a shtick. NNB fulfills the promise of other "large" bands by using their 6 or 7 members to full effect: Nutty, multi-layered, seemingly rambling odes to Krautrock, but with banjos, (real) piano, non-hippy percussion breakdowns, and songs about the beach. (Like most wonderful bands, a verbal description doesn't really do NNB any justice--you have to take my word for it.)"

A fellow WXDU DJ reviewed the latest NNB album & said the following, among other things: "Listening to Need New Body’s third album . . . is a bit disorienting at first, as it finds the band veering away from their noisy electro-video game music, opting instead to incorporate Sun Ra influenced-jazz . . . lazy, shambolic rapping ("Brite tha’ Day," in which an electro interpolation of "Let’s Hear it for the Boy" is ruined by inexcusably bad rhymes), to banjo-driven skewed country . . . and Appalachian folk . . . "

Cantwell Gomez and Jordan you hopefully already know & love, either collectively or individually.

Tuesday, August 9
Strange [http://www.thisisstrange.org], Ume [http://www.umemusic.com/urgentsea/index.php], Glissade [http://www.myspace.com/glissade]
Kings, Raleigh

Wednesday, August 10
Robot Jamboree
Bickett Gallery, Raleigh

From the Bickett website:

"Featuring Armen Knox on guitar, Rob Koegler on drums, Tyson Rogers on keys/noise (tysonrogers.com), Tom Whitelock on guitar, Dan Partridge on singing saw/slide whistle, Chris Eubank on cello/whathaveyou, Slowfeet Bob on horns/guitar.

Armen's desription: Numerous new wave robots will converge at the Bickett Gallery to play the blues like it was programmed in their circuit boards. What would a Robot Jamboree sound like? Stop by and find out!

The folk singing duo of Armen and his conjoined twin sister Hanna, from the midwest, will open."

Wednesday, August 10
Jule Brown [http://www.julebrown.org]
Fuse, Chapel Hill

Thursday, August 11
Holly Golightly [http://www.hollygolightly.com/], Tom Heinl [http://www.tomheinl.com], Palomar [http://www.palomarnyc.com/]
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Friday, August 12
Sleazefest [http://www.sleazefest.com]
Local 506, Chapel Hill

The last lineup I got via email was like this:

Friday:
SOUTHERN CULTURE ON THE SKIDS
THE WOGGLES
DEXTER ROMWEBER & THE NEW ROMANS
HATEBOMBS!
BLOODSHOT BILL
TIGER TIGER
SNATCHES OF PINK
MONSTERS OF JAPAN

Admission also includes show at The Cave:
THE SPINNS
CHROME PLATED APOSTLES
LABIATORS
MALAMANDOS

Saturday:
THE PAYBACKS
GORE GORE GIRLS
DEMOLITION DOLLRODS
THE CHERRY VALENCE
THE KONKS
MONDO TOPLESS
THE LORDLY SERPENTS
DROPDEAD SONS

Admission also includes show at The Cave:
DEXTER ROMWEBER DUO
THE LOBSTERS
SIN EATERS
BLOODSHOT BILL

Friday, August 12
The Port Huron Statement [http://www.porthuronstatement.com/], The Rachel Nevadas [http://www.therachelnevadas.com/], Eyes to Space [http://www.eyestospace.net/]
Kings, Raleigh

Saturday, August 13
Veronique Diabolique [http://www.veroniquediabolique.com/]
Bickett Gallery, Raleigh

Saturday, August 13
The Ghost of Rock
Reservoir, Carrboro

Time may move in multiple directions around here -- witness the Pipe reunion show booked for 8/20 at the Local 506 -- but one thing it never does is stand still.

And so we come to the end -- perhaps momentarily, depending on your frame of reference -- of The Ghost of the British Soldier Who Loved to Rock, a band whose whole existence has been dedicated to time-slippage, both in their name and in the sense that, musically speaking, they might easily have been confused with an early ancestor of Pipe, despite being a more-or-less direct descendant thereof.

But then anybody who's ever seen Ron Liberti's sweaters knows that he's his own grandpa.

To further confuse your brain, this show's being held at Reservoir, which is where Go Studios used to be (another Southern time-quirk much in evidence in the Triangle: we do all our navigating via landmarks that aren't there anymore). Go ahead & close your eyes and spin around 1-2-3 times when you walk in the door, and maybe the fact that the bar is where the stage used to be won't be quite so confusing.

Sunday, August 14
Fake Swedish [http://fakeswedish.4t.com/index.html], The Dynamite Brothers [http://www.dynamitebrothers.com/], Taz Halloween [http://www.robertgriffin.com/people/taz.html]
Local 506, Chapel Hill

--------> http://www.trianglerock.com <--------

  • Stuff to Do, Week of August 5, 2005, grady, 08/05/2005