ch-scene - Stuff to Do, Week of July 29, 2005

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Stuff to Do, Week of July 29, 2005
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 18:28:38 -0400

Welcome home, Sean Moore!

Friday, July 29
Wives [http://www.myspace.com/wives], Jakuta & Carl [http://jnc.hlinak.com/], Modern Day Urban Barbarians [http://www.mdub.com/], Torch Marauder, Cantwell, Gomez, Jordan [http://www.cantwellgomezandjordan.com]
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Dave Cantwell's synopses are always perfect, so:

THE TORCH MARAUDER=OK, if yr getting this email, you probably know the deal. Just to recap: "Widen the lids of your eyes..." "But have you seen the back?" "We need a drummer for this one..." "Bear with us, we’re a live band" "I’m 5000."

CANTWELLGOMEZ&JORDAN=Feeling frisky--maybe it's all these birthdays and weddings...

MODERN DAY URBAN BARBARIANS=Our pals from Brooklyn. If Lightning Bolt listened to a lot of Hendrix, and then wrote pop songs…you’d love it.

JAKUTA & CARL=A friendly, nerdy guy and his computer play wonderfully damaged “pop” for you…A Protoblast for the 21st Century (if you know what that means, then you know you have to be there…).

WIVES=Punk from Cali. I suppose this doesn’t mean what it used to, which is probably a good thing.

Friday, July 29
Superchunk [http://www.superchunk.com], Tennis and the Mennonites [http://www.tennisandthemennonites.com]
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Superchunk set the gold standard for jumping around onstage, and playing guitars that go sproing!, and singing in a high voice, and making the drummer play one fast song after another with precious little gaps between for witty banter. Their shadow is so huge that even now, 10 full years after the apex of the whole Chapel Hill Scene brouhaha, it's still common to see an indie-rock band dismissed as "sounds like Superchunk."

Openers Tennis and the Mennonites sound less like Superchunk than like S'chunk's old Merge labelmates Erectus Monotone, but they mostly sound like themselves, which is weird, but in a good way.

Friday, July 29
Thor [http://www.thorcentral.com], Widow
Kings, Raleigh

Thor is a big beefy bodybuilder / fantasy-poster-model / metal god. He's also a pretty funny guy, who is well aware that his chosen career is a wee bit goofy. Unlike, say, Glenn Danzig. Plus I'll bet Glenn Danzig has never blown up a hot water bottle until it burst. If you asked Glenn Danzig to make a balloon animal, he'd probably get a nosebleed and go pout on his bus.

Saturday, July 30
ANTiSEEN [http://www.antiseen.com], Lustre [http://lustre.soundforsound.org/], Knowledge is for Fools
Local 506, Chapel Hill

ANTiSEEN have been making scum-rock in the greater Charlotte area for fuck, I dunno, 18 years or something insane like that. The scar tissue on frontman Jeff Clayton's forehead must be a foot thick by now. [visualize: beer bottle, broken, grind, grind, bleed, etc]

Sunday, July 31
Robo Sapien [http://www.gorobosapien.com/]
WXDU 88.7 FM, Durham

Robo Sapien were a Bay-area (or Chicago, depending on your concept of time & space) hip-hop/electro/disco duo until last month, when they magically became a Chapel Hill hip-hop/electro/disco duo. Their new EP "Where The Beat End Up" (on Chapel Hill's FrequeNC label) is a thick slab of bass, stuttering beats and snotty-but-right call-and-response vocals. It's great, and I'm pleased as punch they've decided to follow up their pleasantly mild Chicago winter with an equally pleasantly mild NC summer.

I say this occasionally, but this time I mean it: Come by the station & get down in person with Whitney & Chad; they play better with sweaty bodies nearby. 5:00 p.m. 88.7 FM or www.wxdu.org.

Sunday, July 31
John Wilkes Booze [http://www.johnwilkesbooze.com], In the Year of the Pig [http://www.southernloveprod.com/ityotp.htm]
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Our pals at Nightlight explicate for you:

"Bloomington’s mighty JWB play fucked-up & furious electric soul + r&b with the expected instrumentation + electronics, lyrics about Marc Bolan making them want to fuck, etc. I’ve heard they put on an awesome show. Releases on Kill Rock Stars. ITYOTP is angry animal-themed bass-drums-vox grooviness, from right here in Chapel Hill."

Wednesday, August 3
Engine Down [http://www.enginedown.com/], Bella Lea [http://www.bellalea.com/], des_ark [http://www.des-ark.org], Ben Davis + The Calculators [http://www.lovitt.com/artists/bendavis.html]
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

This is the farewell tour for VA's Engine Down, about whom I know only that they were Lovitt Records mainstays for many years, although their last album was on Lookout. Former members of Sleepytime Trio & Bughummer. Etc.

Ben Davis is also a former member of Sleepytime Trio. Sometimes his Calculators are a live loud band; other times they're a real calculator, with buttons.

des_ark are going to be on tour with Engine Down for the entire month of August, which may as well be an eternity, so think of this as your last chance to see them for what may well feel like forever.

Wednesday, August 3
My Dear Ella [http://www.mydearella.com], Bellglide [http://www.bellglide.com/], A Problem of Alarming Dimensions [http://www.8088records.com/problemofalarmingdimensions/]
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Thursday, August 4
The Sames [http://www.thesames.com], North Elementary [http://www.northelementary.com], The Balance [http://www.thebalanceband.com/]
Joe & Jo's, Durham

Venues may come and go in Durham, but Joe & Jo's is still Joe & Jo's, the neighborhood bar & grill for the virtual neighborhood of Durham artists, musicians, bohemians and regular folks. They're always willing to step up & host a show; tonight's includes the guitarrry wall-of-pop of the Sames, the woozy stoner-pop of North Elementary, and the power-pop-rock of Raleigh's The Balance.

Thursday, August 4
The Avett Brothers [http://www.theavettbrothers.com], Langhorne Slim [http://www.langhorneslim.com/]
Lincoln Theater, Raleigh

Thursday, August 4
Tall Dwarfs [http://www.flyingnun.co.nz/viewartist.cfm?artistID=336], Fan Modine [http://www.grimsey.com/fanmodine.html]
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Tall Dwarfs are one of the group of seminal New Zealand bands who shaped-from-afar the face of indie-rock in the 90s (and the 80s, actually--Tall Dwarfs been around for 25+ years). They were lo-fi long before the phrase existed.

Fan Modine are an elaborate conceptual pop confection, with lots of laptop orchestration and some mournfully witty lyrics that wouldn't necessarily shy away from a MagFields comparison.

Friday, August 5
Brian Jonestown Massacre [http://www.bomp.com/BJM.html], Quarter After [http://www.thequarterafter.com/], Innaway [http://www.innawaymusic.com/], Glissade [http://www.myspace.com/glissade]
Local 506, Chapel Hill

--------> http://www.trianglerock.com <--------
the alt.music.chapel-hill guide to the triangle

  • Stuff to Do, Week of July 29, 2005, grady, 07/29/2005