ch-scene - Stuff to Do, Week of July 22, 2005

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Stuff to Do, Week of July 22, 2005
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 18:02:35 -0400

There weren't many shows that compelled me to write snarky things about them, so instead I've been fooling around with the Google Maps API, and I've got the main Triangle-area clubs mapped here: http://www.trianglerock.com/clubmaps.php

My friend Mark wants to be able to hover his mouse over a club & get a popup of who's playing there tonight. That sounds kinda pleasant, so I may add that later. Not now, though. For now you'll have to use this:

Friday, July 22
Pedestrian Deposit [http://www.freewebs.com/monorail/pd.html], Oscillating Innards [http://www.iheartnoise.com/innards], American Band
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Before I commence with the obligatory cut-and-paste from the Nightlight website, let me just remind you briefly how lucky we are to have the kids at Nightlight, with their obsession with hellacious noise. How many Chapel-Hill-sized towns are there in America? And how many of them have comfy book-lined beer-and-brownie (and sandwiches if you get there early enough) -serving venues showcasing all manner of hellacious noise and bizarro performance art 2-3 times a week? This is a labor of love, folks, and while I'm consistently amazed at how many people show up for these shows, it's nevertheless not really a profitable enterprise. So love it while it lasts, and hopefully it'll last a little longer.

Right, on to the cut-and-paste: "Pedestrian Deposit has apparently been putting out harsh noise releases since he was thirteen (he was home-schooled). The last disc I heard, “Volatile” was awesome, cut-up, screwy stereo-panning, echoing brutality. He’s touring from CA w/ Oscillating Innards, and we’re so pleased they’re coming here. AMERICAN BAND is the awaited collaboration between Jason Crumer, Matt (from Air Conditioning), and a Southern gentleman named Lee on power-tools."

Friday, July 22
Regina Hexaphone [http://www.reginahexaphone.com], Hard Times Family
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Friday, July 22
Electric Sunshine, Dude Garden, Choosy Beggars [http://www.thechoosybeggars.com]
Kings, Raleigh

Saturday, July 23
Arrogance [http://www.arrogance.us/], The Backbeat
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Saturday, July 23
Indie-Rock Karaoke
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Sunday, July 24
Corrosion of Conformity [http://www.corrosivecabaal.com/], Fu Manchu [http://www.fu-manchu.com/], Alabama Thunderpussy [http://www.alabamathunderpussy.com/], Supagroup [http://www.supagroup.com/]
Lincoln Theater, Raleigh

Monday, July 25
Neva Dinova [http://www.nevadinova.com/], Mayday
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, July 26
Shallow Be Thy Name [http://www.screwmusicforever.com/music/artists/shallow/index.html], Tennis and the Mennonites [http://www.tennisandthemennonites.com]
The Library, Chapel Hill

Two of my favorite indie-pop (for lack of a better word -- they're weird, OK? but oh-so-catchy) bands on one bill. Shallow Be Thy Name are Clarque & Caroline plus maybe whomever they corral to play with them (which is sometimes just themselves), singing sweetly odd singsongy bedroom pop songs.

Tennis and the Mennonites are some local artschoolers with an ear for all the great jittery bands: Feelies, Erectus Monotone, Modern Lovers. I adore them, in fits & spurts.

Tuesday, July 26
Earwig [http://www.lizardfamily.com], Jaded, Drunk Horse [http://www.drunkhorse.com/]
Kings, Raleigh

Wednesday, July 27
The Brain Surgeons [http://members.aol.com/tbspostop/], Snatches of Pink [http://www.snatchesofpink.com/]
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Thursday, July 28
Kolyma [http://www.myspace.com/kolyma], Savage Nights, The Whole World Laughing
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Kolyma is a Raleigh supergroup that involves longtime band-rotators Russ deSena and Crowmeat Bob on guitars, along with some kinda crazy atonal female vocal ranting. The Whole World Laughing is a bass-drums duo of Dave Cantwell (Analogue, Razzle, Cold Sides, Cantwell Gomez and Jordan) on bass & Scotty Irving (Geezer Lake, Clang Quartet) on drums.

Thursday, July 28
The Quarantines [http://www.thequarantines.com], Cities [http://www.citiesmusic.com], Dr. Powerful, Harmless PA
Kings, Raleigh

The Kings website says that Dr. Powerful features ex-Polvo drummer Eddie Watkins. Quarantines and Cities are two young up-and-coming locals with some distant/passing kinship to all the hip current post-Smiths/Cure bands like Interpol & Franz Ferdinand.

--------> http://www.trianglerock.com <--------