ch-scene - Stuff to do, Week of July 1, 2005

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Stuff to do, Week of July 1, 2005
  • Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2005 18:52:58 -0400

Please note that I haven't listed any of the myriad July 4th-related parties/shindigs/whatevers (except for the Evil Wiener Roast, of course). Feel free to invite perfect strangers to your cookout if you like.

Friday, July 1
Zen Frisbee
The Cave, Chapel Hill

If it's July in an odd-numbered year, it must be time for a Zen
Frisbee reunion. My fondness for Zen Frisbee cain't hardly be
expressed in words, but suffice it to say that for me, the "Chapel
Hill Sound" will forever be best defined by the ZF ouvre. They were a
gloriously sloppy band for the first 20 minutes of nearly every show
they played, and occasionally a transcendantly brilliant band for the
final 15-20.

Guitarists Laird & Kevin Dixon (that's Laird writing the odd,
immediately distinctive fingerstyle guitar parts for Shark Quest;
Kevin writes & draws the "and then there was Rock" weekly comic for
the Indy) feud between every song & then convert that energy to
dueling/interlocking guitar parts that bob & weave just below singer
Brian Walker's own bobbing & weaving (well, significantly more weaving
than bobbing, I guess). It may not be possible to explain the power of
the sight of Brian, sweaty, disheveled, leaning on a stool, singing
through a megaphone, but there's a reason every woman in town was
fascinated by Zen Frisbee, even (especially?) those who couldn't stand
them on record.

Which is particularly odd because the great mystery of Zen Frisbee to
me was always how they could be so gloriously sloppy onstage and so
brilliantly layered & on-point on record.

In any case, if I miss either of this weekend's ZF reunion shows, it
must mean I'm stuck under an overturned tractor somewhere.

Friday, July 1
Growing [http://www.growingsound.com/], Black Castle
[http://www.enterblackcastle.com], Second Husband
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Saturday, July 2
The Prayers and Tears of Arthur Digby Sellers
[http://www.prayersandtears.com/], The Eames Era
[http://www.theeamesera.com/], Schooner
[http://www.schoonermusic.com], The Annuals
Kings, Raleigh

The other day a friend of mine started ranting about the great PATOADS
song she'd heard via the Internets on a Seattle radio station. Said it
made her weep at work, and she's not the sort to weep anywhere,
usually. Or maybe they were just tears of guilt for clogging up the
Internets by listening to a Chapel Hill band via web-radio all the way
from Seattle.

Saturday, July 2
Zen Frisbee, Mean Reds Electric Orchestra
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Shall I repeat everything wonderful I said about Zen Frisbee on
Friday? Naw, I want to have enough room to stand comfortably close to
the stage. Stay home, go to a cookout, whatever. One of the top 5
local bands of the 90s couldn't hold a candle to your PlayStation
Portable anyway, right?

Sunday, July 3
Armed Suspects, Done Deal
[http://www.emusic.com/artist/11573/11573917.html], The Eames Era
[http://www.theeamesera.com/]
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Monday, July 4
Evil Wiener [http://www.evilwienerworld.com/], Mowing Lawns
[http://www.dyss.net/mlawns.html], Brian Butler
The Cave, Chapel Hill

It wouldn't be a holiday without Evil Weiner, and for the 4th Billy
Sugarfix & Co. pull out all the stops, roasting themselves on the
grill until they're practically bursting with hot tasty juices.

Plus they'll cook you a hot dog.

Also on the bill: Mind Sirens frontman (and sometime "4th Wiener")
Brian Butler, and Mowing Lawns, who sent a message through their
consigliere that I should quit talking about them until I've seen them
again. OK, here goes:

Tuesday, July 5
Bettie Serveert [http://www.bettieserveert.com/], Cass McCombs
[http://www.monitorrecords.com/CASS/cass.html], The Double
[http://www.thedoublethedouble.com/]
Kings, Raleigh

Tuesday, July 5
Glen or Glenda, Justin Clifford Rhody
[http://www.friendsandrelativesrecords.com], Crowmeat Bob
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Nightlight says:

GorG is an avant-"heavyhanded"-jazz 3 piece from paris, france. drums,
guitar, saxophone and electronics. this is their first visit to the
united states. they have 2 LP's currently available in france as well
as a forthcoming split 12" LP + TAPE w/ "dinosaurs, baseball and
hopscotch" which will be released in time for this tour. "kind of like
if the melvins would of listened to sun ra or frank wright instead of
motorhead." Justin plays pop songs from the backyard that mainly focus
on breathing + "hand in the sand". channeled through a full band for
the first time, this tour will feature sounds previously unheard.
He'll be playing drums, guitar, violin + bass.

Wednesday, July 6
Dead Meadow [http://www.deadmeadow.com]
Kings, Raleigh

I always loved that song about the elves, but they never seemed to
play it live. Or, if they did, they didn't sing it in those cute
little elf voices. Dang.

Friday, July 8
The Spinns [http://www.thespinns.freeservers.com/], The Lobsters
The Cave, Chapel Hill

The Spinns are blissfully rudimentary and garage-stompy, which makes
their occasional attempted Hendrix-isms all the more endearing.

Friday, July 8
Cherry Valence [http://www.thecherryvalence.com], The Dynamite
Brothers [http://www.dynamitebrothers.com/]
Kings, Raleigh

This is a CD-release party for the new Cherry Valence (I believe it's
called TCV3, or maybe that's the name of the new R.Kelly). If there is
a photo of the Cherry Valence accompanying this blurb, then it is
probably inaccurate, because half of them left last year to form the
Birds of Avalon.

Saturday, July 9
The Wusses, Haulin' Oates
Kings, Raleigh

Just to erase any misconceptions you might have: The Wusses are more
than just a Little River Band tribute. Way more. They've got covers
from *all* your favorite 70s soft-rock superstars.

Haulin' Oates is just what you might imagine; it was originally a
one-off for another weird Kings theme night, but as happens in so many
horror movies, it took on a life of its own. In the words of my man
Vincent Price: [http://www.fuelinjectedrock.com/oates/page1.htm]
"Scream! Scream for your lives!"

Here's the [http://indyweek.com/durham/2005-05-11/eichenberger.html]
lowdown from another perspective, that of local Gonzo disciple Peter
Eichenberger:

"I roll on through Saturday as best I can, head swimming, wandering
from bar to bar, ending at the end of the evening at Kings. I lurch
through the door and take my seat at the bar. "Rich Girl," by '80s
cheesemeisters Daryl Hall and John Oates, is on the juke box. Then,
behind the bar, I see the pencil drawing of Mr. Hall.

Hoo-boy--this is a live performance. The stage is full of Daryl Halls.
Daryl Halls are running all around the club. What the fuck is this? An
Elvis thing? A cargo-cult? The GodHead? Another dimension? Daryl Hall
wanders by, lugging a 55-gallon Rubbermaid of empties.

It makes no sense--the craziest, most absurd thing I have ever seen.
This is no "tribute," these bipeds are channeling Hall and Oates. This
is it: exactly what I am talking about. My transcendence. I start
laughing, really laughing--so hard tears are squirting out of my
eyes."

Sunday, July 10
Superchunk [http://www.superchunk.com], Dinosaur Jr
[http://www.freakscene.net/], Majik Markers
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Yes, it's sold out. Yes, you can probably get in if you go stand in
front of the Cradle a little while before showtime. Yes, Superchunk
are playing again on July 29th (sans Dinosaur Jr). Question: Are you
hoping *for* a Mascis/Barlow blowup, or *against*?

Sunday, July 10
Leslie and the Lys [http://www.leslieandthelys.com]
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Let's just assume for the sake of argument that you have a day-job,
one that involves access to email and the web. You have probably seen
a [http://www.lesliehall.com/8-sweaters1.html] website featuring a
deluxe variety of bedazzled sweaters.

But have you seen [http://www.transbuddha.com/mediaHolder.php?id=437]
the video? More to the point, are you aware that you can see THE REAL
THING at Nightlight tonight?

--------> http://www.trianglerock.com <--------

  • Stuff to do, Week of July 1, 2005, grady, 07/01/2005