ch-scene - Triple Triangle Solid Soul Parties + ModChicago Pix!

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: DJ Marco <djmarco AT solidsoundsystem.com>
  • To: SolidSoundSystem <djmarco AT solidsoundsystem.com>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Triple Triangle Solid Soul Parties + ModChicago Pix!
  • Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 23:22:16 -0400

Yeah!!! Your boys Marco & Cowbwoy are back from a whirlwind weekend up at
ModChicago and not only did they have a blast partying with likeminded
60s-oriented souls from both coasts and all points in between, but they
brought back some fun photos to peep and new records to hear! BIG shouts out
to the ModChicago, Satisfaction, Diabolik, SubwaySoul Club, SmashedBlocked,
and SoulStrut crews for being the #1 people to party with, bar none! (no pun
intended)

Well let's get on with the big gigs for this weekend, then scroll down
further for some of Marco's soul picks for the month as well as links to
galleries showing all the ModChicago madness you missed...

Thursday, June 9 - 10pm-2am
FEDERAL SOUL
at Federal - Durham NC
w/ DJ Marco + Jason Perlmutter
FREE ADMISSION!
Marco's got a bunch of new platters from Chicago to spin tonight, and
joining him on the decks is NC's regional soul sleuth extraordinaire, WXYC's
PMutt, who will no doubt be bringing a heavy heavy and ultra-rare selection
of hot Carolina selections!
http://www.thefederal.net/

Saturday, June 11 - 10pm-2am and beyond
SOLID! FUNK & SOUL PARTY
Ringside - Durham NC
Admission $6-$8
With DJ Marco, DJ Midnite Cowbwoy, Nate The Skate,
plus the Solid Gogo Dancers!!!

Marco couldn't make it to the last SOLID! party but he heard things got a
little out of hand what with all the afterhours drunken debauchery and
general mayhem that was enough to make the usually reserved Michael
(Ringside owner) declare "This is the last SOLID! ever!!!" He must have
meant that he didn't think we could top ourselves, 'cos only days later he
was looking forward to the next party! So we're returning this Saturday,
back on the main floor (knock wood), and our main scooterist enthusiast Nate
The Skate is once again joining us on the decks for what promises to be a
full-on soul party, Carolina-style. We promise to behave ourselves (cross
fingers).

Sunday, June 12 - 8pm-12pm
Red Room - Raleigh NC
Thanks to our man DJ Blake, DJ Marco lands in the Red Room on Sunday to lay
down the heavy soul, funk, rock, hip hop, disco and more from the 60s, 70s,
and beyond; Marco's definitely gonna bring out some his favorite grooves you
don't normally hear him spin. We're pretty sure admission is free, the music
starts early, and the Red Room is one of the swankiest spots in town, so if
you're in Raleigh there's no reason not to come on down!
http://www.redroomraleigh.com/

MARCO'S SOUL SPINS FOR JUNE
Thanks to Meatyogre, Big Tony, Ty Jesso, Brian Poust, Hi-Fi Records, and
Dave's Records for hooking Marco up in Chicago with these heavy tunes last
weekend, brought back to NC for your enjoyment now:

Bobby Womack: I'm Gonna Forget About You (Liberty)
The Raw Meat: Funky Humpback (Musicor)
The Turnarounds: Soul Walk (Tangerine)
Roberto Carlos: Nao Vou Ficar (CBS Brasil)
The Internationals: Give A Damn (D'or)
The Endeavors: Who! Shaft Where (Gambit)
The Fabulous Fantoms: The Mau Mau (Big Deal)
The Posse: You Better Come On Out And Play (EJK)
Darrow Fletcher: The Way of A Man (Revue)
Johnny Thompson: Mainsqueeze (Newmiss)
Hugh Boynton: Funky Grasshopper (Lanor)
Junior Wells: Up In Heah (Bright Star)
Barbara West: Will He Come Back (Ronn)
Gene Ammons: Jug Eyes (Prestige)
Freedom Sounds feat. Wayne Henderson: Soul Sound System (Atlantic)
Faith Evans: Mesmerized (Capitol)

Marco also will be spinning some special vinyl selections from the new
MOTOWN REMIXED release, courtesy of Adam at Giant Step promotions. Remixing
the classics is a tricky task but this collection does the originals proud,
keeping an organic sound for some really nice extended versions of old
favorites like "ABC," "Smiling Faces Sometimes," and "Keep On Trucking."
http://www.giantstep.net/releases/704
http://www.motownremixed.com/

MODCHICAGO MADNESS!!!!

Okay here's the fun part! Just about everyone at ModChicago was snapping
pics last weekend, and we've compiled as many of them as we can for your
viewing enjoyment. See if you can spot Marco & Cowbwoy, and vote for which
of their photos are the most incriminating:

MARCO'S (SOLIDSOUNDSYSTEM, NC) PIX
http://www.solidsoundsystem.com/music/clubs/modchicago/modchicago_2005_marco
pix/

COWBWOY'S (SOLIDSOUNDSYSTEM, NC) PIX
http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EeAMmrNo0cuHDgg

TONY THE TYGER'S (SATISFACTION, LA) PIX
http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EeANmrhk2bNmrFGg

JAIME KOZYRA'S (DEBUTANTE'S BALL, NYC) PIX
http://photos.yahoo.com/jaime_kozyra

BRIAN POUST'S (RHTYHM'N'BOOZE, ATL) PIX
http://64.82.97.82/kineticunderground/

DAWN CARRINGTON'S (SUBWAY SOUL, NYC) PIX
http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EeANGTRk1ZuHDgA

MODCHICAGO WEBSITE
http://www.modchicago.com/

http://www.solidsoundsystem.com/

  • Triple Triangle Solid Soul Parties + ModChicago Pix!, DJ Marco, 06/08/2005