ch-scene - This might amuse a few S Roses fans

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "Gorman" <goylemjax AT yahoo.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: This might amuse a few S Roses fans
  • Date: 11 May 2005 06:41:50 -0700

www.meshsf.com/blogs/2005...-2005.html

Ian Brown (GAMH, 15 March 2005)(I thought it was more recent but it was
a couple months ago)

It's not often that you get to see a fight onstage.

.=2E. Then, right dab in the middle of the song, Ian Brown, in diva-like
fashion, signaled the band to stop. He then blurted something about the
sound being horrible and then went to the mixing desk to fix the
problem. As Ian was singing acapella about some penny he found, just to
check the noise levels, he then signaled the band to start. Again, I
was amped, ready, beer raised high, and bouncing my head. Then, AGAIN,
he stops the song and complains about the sound. Same procedure
happened: mixing desk, sings song about pennies, and then signaled the
band to start. This time, he completes the song and continues.

You thought that was entertaining, then you've seen nothing yet! As
he was just starting "Love Like a Fountain," some guy in a white
shirt from the crowd jumps on the stage and rugby tackles Ian Brown!
This totally caught Ian by surprise because he was blindsided by this
guy. The band immediately rushed to aid Ian, with security following,
but Ian defended himself! When he got up, he kicked the living @#%$ out
of the guy! His band also did the same, and security was trying to free
the guy and break up the melee. As the man with the white shirt got up
and tried to escape the stage, Ian then continued to pummel him. A
really big security guard tried to get Ian to stop by holding onto
Ian's jacket and refusing to let go. This pissed Ian off and then Ian
started to fight the security guard! Somehow, someway, the security
guard ended up on the ground and Ian started pummeling him with either
his microphone or a beer glass (there are conflicting stories on this).
After the band joined in, the security guard got up and was bloody from
the fight.

Ian and his band walked off stage and house lights came on. GAMH
promptly shut down all bars and had security in place on the stage and
around the area. The crowd were pissed that he walked off, but I
don't blame him. The crowd chanted for his return, but to no avail.
Some left the venue, while others stuck it out. I went to the bathroom,
and I chatted amongst the Brits in line and they were saying that this
is the greatest gig ever and that it would be even greater if Ian came
out. After 20 minutes or so, the drummer came back on stage and Ian
soon followed. Ian then grabbed the mic and was still pissed, and he
says, "If anyone wants to fight me, come to the stage right now!" A
couple of tossers in the crowd raised their hand, but Ian was not
joking. He pinpointed a guy with glasses in the crowd, and told the guy
that he is ready to fight him on stage. The man with glasses, surprised
at this reaction, declined but Ian was insistent. After a couple of
minutes of that, Ian then focused his attention to another guy, stage
left, and began badgering him. Then Ian prompted the security guards,
asking any of them if they want to fight him. From that point on, the
house lights remained on and the bars were shut down.

They then started where they left off, playing "Love Like a
Fountain." The sound was still not optimal, but Ian continued
anyways. More songs off of the new album and his previous releases were
played, all of which were quite good even though I haven't heard of
most of them. Another Stone Roses song was played, this time it was
"Waterfall." No stoppage in the music here (I think), but there was
stoppage when the band played, "I Wanna Be Adored." Same complaints
from Ian, but the crowd loved it nonetheless. No encore, which came as
no surprise, but we hoped for one.

News came out today that Ian got arrested in his hotel room by S.F.P.D.
and was questioned for the assault and battery. A friend just e-mailed
me today, saying that Ian was throwing a party in his room when a hotel
worker came in asking them to stop the party because of complaints. Ian
then grabbed his shirt and threatened to tear his buttons off. Needless
to say, this man has a short fuse, despite his short stature. So, I
take it he wasn't at the after party then?

Overall, one of the most amusing and testosterone filled shows I have
ever seen in my life! A truly great show to remember! Not only were the
onstage antics hilarious, and the fight thrilling, but the music was
great. My only criticism is that the guitarist needs to improve his
Stone Roses guitar work. Then again, how can one emulate the great John
Squire?

Beer Rating: =BD Beer

  • This might amuse a few S Roses fans, Gorman, 05/11/2005