ch-scene - Stuff to Do, Week of April 29, 2005

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Stuff to Do, Week of April 29, 2005
  • Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 17:22:20 -0400

Friday, April 29
Fashion Design [http://fashiondesignband.com/], Gerty [http://www.gerty.org], Spader
Ooh La Latte, Durham

Ooh La Latte comes through again, with a big local show; this one's a benefit for this year's Durham Music Festival, which doesn't currently have enough grant/donation/city funding to cover all its projected expenses. Pay a little now or pay more later, I guess. On the bill tonight are young britpop/shoegazer revivalists Fashion Design, HUGE Timbuk-3 fans Gerty, and Raleigh's Spader.

Friday, April 29
Chris Stamey [http://www.chrisstamey.com/], Spencer Acuff [http://www.spenceracuff.com/], Pico vs Island Trees [http://www.picomusic.com/]
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

For this tour, Chris Stamey's traveling with legendary drummer Anton Fier (Feelies, Golden Palominos) and pianist Tyson Rogers, who played a pivotal role in the recording of Chris's recent collaboration with Yo La Tengo, "A Question of Temperature". Here's a brief description of the setup from Chris:

I'm doing a show at the Cradle, April 29, as the grand finale to a midwestern tour I'm doing with drummer/composer Anton Fier (Yoko Ono, Herbie Hancock, Bill Laswell, John Zorn, Lounge Lizards, Golden Palominos, lots more).

Tyson Rogers (keys), Rick Lassiter (bass), and Matt McMichaels (guitar) will be playing with us at that show. We are playing some of the stuff from the "A Question of Temperature" collaboration with Yo La Tengo, some old stuff from the 80s and 90s, and some stuff as yet unreleased.

Anton and I are improvising together in an interesting way, quite fiery at times, and this may be the only time we get a chance to do this in NC.

Friday, April 29
My Dear Ella [http://www.mydearella.com], The Reputation [http://www.reputationmusic.com/], New Grenada
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Sometime in the past 4-5 years, My Dear Ella traded their earlier Beatlesque-pop sound for something thicker, more guitar-heavy; last week I mentioned the undocumented influence of Matthew Sweet on a whole host of musicians, and I think that comparison holds true here as well.

Local 506 owner Glenn Boothe says that last year's Reputation show was his favorite show of the year--and Glenn's seen a fuckload of shows over the past 12 months, to be sure.

New Grenada is an outgrowth of last week's Bartender Battle of the Bands, featuring members of Fake Swedish, Jett Rink, Leadfoot and The Spinns, performing their newly-penned rock opera inspired by the brilliant 70s teen-delinquent movie Over The Edge.

Saturday, April 30
A Rooster for the Masses [http://www.myspace.com/aroosterforthemasses], TV Knife [http://www.myspace.com/tvknife]
Kings, Raleigh

Both A Rooster for the Masses and TV Knife have *excellent* songs available for download via their MySpace.com pages; check them out. This is more than just an indie-rock show, however; it's also "Your Ass is Oates," which is, yes, a Hall & Oates Tribute featuring members of both bands. I've been led to believe, perhaps erroneously, that there will be but one Hall, but many Oates. Or is that Oateses?

Saturday, April 30
Prefuse 73 [http://www.multsanta.madvision.co.uk/prefuse73/], Battles, DJ Nobody [http://www.mixent.com/artists/djnobody.html]
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Prefuse 73 = college-radio-huge laptophiphop. Battles = guitarist Ian Williams of Don Caballero/Storm & Stress, plus ex-Helmet drummer, plus Tyondai Braxton (son of Anthony) on guitar & intricate pedal-noise-making. And somebody on bass.

Saturday, April 30
Gore Gore Girls [http://www.goregoregirls.com/], The Pink Slips
Martin Street Music Hall, Raleigh

Saturday, April 30
The Rockwells [http://www.rockwells.com/], The Perfectionists
Bickett Gallery, Raleigh

Sunday, May 1
New Roman Times [http://www.thenewromantimes.com/], Ticonderoga [http://www.ticonderobics.com/], The Perfectionists
Local 506, Chapel Hill

It's May Day, and what better way to express your solidarity with the Working Classes than to step out & hoist a few while watching Raleigh's Ticonderoga, who are probably a bunch of effete academic pantywaists who never worked a day in their lives. Certainly the Pavement influence comes through loud & clear on at least a few of the songs on their self-titled debut, and we all know what *that* means.

Luckily for them, and for us, it's a great debut album, full of odd eddy currents and hushed misdirections. Soft-spoken confusion abounds, and periodically a string section appears, Deus Ex Machina, to elevate the proceedings. No word on how they're gonna drop the cellists from the ceiling of the 506, but I'm sure they'll figure something out.

Monday, May 2
Shearwater [http://jound.com/shearwater/main.html], The Mountain Goats [http://www.themountaingoats.net/]
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

The Mountain Goats have a new album out, their 426th, and it continues in the direction begun by their last one, namely, towards actual autobiography, as opposed to fantastical meldings of Greek mythology and bitter relationship fiction. Which is kind of fascinating, given how many obsessive fanboys John Darnielle's had to deal with over the years--the last thing *I'd* want to do would be to feed them any more information.

Then again, I suppose it's entirely logical to conclude that you're gonna have to deal with fanboy misinterpretations no matter what you do, so why not write what you want? At least if you go autobiographical, that's one set of fanboy assumptions that'll finally be on-target.

Those of you who stopped paying attention to the Mountain Goats back in the 90s may or may not be startled to discover that they moved away from the single-guitar and boombox aesthetic quite some time ago, thereby obliging fully 95% of the population to reverse their opinions, good for ill & vice versa, of the band.

Monday, May 2
Clang Quartet, Eyes to Space [http://www.eyestospace.net/], Captured! By Robots [http://www.capturedbyrobots.com/]
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Clang Quartet is a one-man percussion-only tribute to the life of Jesus Christ. Eyes to Space is a nerd-rock band whose keyboardist built his own key-tar out of a regular keyboard and some spare auto parts. Captured! By Robots is a gimmick-band involving a lot of semi-automatons who are purported to have enslaved their creator. At some point, if he's not careful, said creator may have to change the band name to Enslaved! By Gimmicks.

Tuesday, May 3
Cherry Valence [http://www.thecherryvalence.com], The Bleeding Hearts [http://www.thebleedinghearts.net/home.html], The 45s
Local 506, Chapel Hill

If you attend this show & discover that your favorite half of The Cherry Valence are MIA, then you'll need to watch the listings for El Boa, a.k.a. Birds of Avalon, which is the new Raleigh supergroup formed by Paul & Cheetie (along with members of Strange, the Weather & I don't know whatall else) after leaving TCV.

If, on the other hand, you're relieved to discover that your favorite half of The Cherry Valence is still onstage, then you'll be pleased to know that the current incarnation is working on a new record for Raleigh's Bifocal Media.

Wednesday, May 4
The Dirtbombs [http://www.thedirtbombs.net/], The Spinns [http://www.thespinns.freeservers.com/], Snatches of Pink [http://www.snatchesofpink.com/]
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Detroit's Dirtbombs are possibly this nation's finest purveyors of dirty amped-up garage-rock-and-soul currently working, or so my sources tell me. The Spinns are garage-rock of the intentionally-rudimentary sort, the kind that involves a whole lot of banging on the floor-tom. I think we should all request "Moulty" by the Barbarians. Actually, more fun to yell that during Snatches' set; find out if their eyeliner is waterproof.

Thursday, May 5
The Avett Brothers [http://www.theavettbrothers.com], Langhorne Slim [http://www.langhorneslim.com/]
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Thursday, May 5
Caspian Sea Monsters, The Trousers
Kings, Raleigh

--------> http://www.trianglerock.com <--------

  • Stuff to Do, Week of April 29, 2005, grady, 04/29/2005