ch-scene - Through This Lens Photography Gallery Presents: "Location/Dislocation - Images from Cuba, Barbados & Puerto Rico"

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "JoAnne Worthington-Fitzgibbon" <Joannespub AT msn.com>
  • Cc: Roylee Duvall <duvallrtp AT mindspring.com>
  • Subject: Through This Lens Photography Gallery Presents: "Location/Dislocation - Images from Cuba, Barbados & Puerto Rico"
  • Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 15:24:41 -0500

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: March 28, 2005
Contact Information: Roylee Duvall,
duvallrtp AT mindspring.com<mailto:duvallrtp AT mindspring.com>, (919) 687-0250

Through This Lens Photography Gallery
Presents:
"Location/Dislocation: Images from Cuba, Barbados and Puerto Rico."

Durham: Through This Lens Photography Gallery is pleased to present
"Location/Dislocation:
Images from Cuba, Barbados and Puerto Rico" - a photography exhibition by
Isabel Chicquor.

The opening night reception is Thursday, March 31, 6 p.m. to 8 p.m., at
Through This Lens, 303 E. Chapel Hill St in Downtown Durham. This show was
scheduled to coincide with North Carolina Central University's 46th Annual
National Conference of Artists Conference, March 31 to April 3, 2005. NCCU is
hosting the conference in collaboration with the NCCU Art Museum, the Hayti
Heritage Center, and the National Conference of Arts (ARC) Board of
Directors.

Chicquor is an Associate Professor and joined the faculty of NCCU in 1977.
Chicquor's photography will be on display March 31 through April 2nd. Gallery
hours are 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

About the show: Chicquor says, "Since the mid 80's I have traveled frequently
outside the United States because I am interested in the visual aspects that
are inherent in different cultures. My background in painting and drawing
informs my photographs. I choose film that accentuates a grainy quality. I
work with a shallow depth of field for the most part and rely on the use of
the formal elements of art to construct my images.

Up until the last several years, I only photographed fragments of
architecture, looking for just the right combination of color, shape and
texture that reinforced my minimal aesthetic. In 2000, while in Cuba I
photographed people for the first time. Needless to say, it was challenging,
giving up both style and intention.

I left the lushness of color and began using extremely grainy black and white
film that paradoxically for me captured a greater sense of reality. Formally
I wanted to achieve the beauty of charcoal drawings. But beauty alone does
not sustain interest."

Artist Bio: Isabel Chicquor was born and raised in NYC where she studied at
the Art Students League and attended the High School of Music and Art. She
holds a BFA '65 and MFA '67 from S.U.N.Y. College of Ceramics at Alfred
University and an MFA '95 in Imaging Arts from Rochester Institute of
Technology.

After teaching for several years in Cleveland, Ohio she moved to NC in 1976.
An Associate Professor since 1984, she joined the faculty of NCCU in 1977.

She currently teaches the foundation courses in drawing and all levels of
ceramics. She has had numerous solo shows since 1985 and has exhibited widely
in invitational and juried exhibitions. She is the recipient of national and
regional awards in photography, drawing, and sculpture; and her work can be
found in many corporate and private collections. In 2003-2004 she was awarded
a NC Visual Artists Fellowship in Photography.

In 1977, along with twelve other women artists, she founded Center/Gallery,
the first women's art cooperative in NC. She has served on committees and
boards for the Durham Arts Council, Durham Art Guild, Center/Gallery, the Art
Center, and the Contemporary Art Museum in Raleigh.

  • Through This Lens Photography Gallery Presents: "Location/Dislocation - Images from Cuba, Barbados & Puerto Rico", JoAnne Worthington-Fitzgibbon, 03/27/2005