ch-scene - Stuff to do, Week of March 25, 2005

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Stuff to do, Week of March 25, 2005
  • Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 17:20:29 -0500

Friday, March 25
French Kicks [http://www.frenchkicks.com/], The Nein [http://www.thenein.com/], Calla [http://users.vei.net/eacherhundreds/eh101-calla.htm]
Local 506, Chapel Hill

This show actually begins at 9:00 with Austin singer-songwriter Ian Moore, who got bumped from Nightlight under mysterious circumstances. The word from Local 506 is that French Kicks will commence playing 15 minutes after the end of the North Carolina basketball game (tipoff at 10:00, and yes, I resisted the urge to intentionally say "kickoff" just to peeve all you insufferable basketball nerds); the fate of the other bands on the bill is less clear. On thing is certain: the Nein are fully capable of playing for however long is necessary, so don't be shy.

Friday, March 25
Art Lord and the Self Portraits [http://www.ideasforhousecrafts.com], Spader
Bickett Gallery, Raleigh

Both Spader & Art Lord seem to involve weird little indie-rock boys making kind of art-damaged dance-pop; for whatever reason this show is being billed as a head-to-head final showdown between the two of them. Perhaps they've signed an agreement to never again appear in the same venue at the same time? Wouldn't that just fuel the existing rumors that they're in fact the same band in disguise?

Friday, March 25
The Oranges Band [http://www.theorangesband.com], Strange [http://www.thisisstrange.org], The Hold Steady [http://www.theholdsteady.com/]
Martin Street Music Hall, Raleigh

Saturday, March 26
Killer Filler, Dom Casual
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Saturday, March 26
Nashville Pussy [http://www.nashvillepussy.com/], The Paybacks [http://www.thepaybacks.com/], Illuminati [http://www.theilluminati.net/]
Martin Street Music Hall, Raleigh

Saturday, March 26
Jason Crumer [http://www.dadadrumming.org/jasoncrumer/], Realicide, Moribund, Boyzone [http://kodakculture.org/katherine/boyszone]
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Sunday, March 27
The Album Leaf [http://www.albumleaf.com], The Bloodthirsty Lovers
Martin Street Music Hall, Raleigh

Sunday, March 27
Fin Fang Foom [http://www.lovitt.com/artists/finfangfoom.html], DMBQ [http://www.dmbq.net/bio_e.asp], Pegasus
Local 506, Chapel Hill

First of a two-night Triangle stand for Japanese acid-rockers DMBQ. I'm fairly certain that Japanese people are probably frequently bored by Japanese bands, but either the boring bands never make it to the US, or even boring Japanese bands are somehow fascinating (certainly true of X-Girl, whose stage set & costumes interested me far more than their music), because I've never seen a Japanese band that couldn't hold my attention one way or another.

Monday, March 28
The Sames [http://www.thesames.com], Can Joann [http://www.canjoann.com/], Nathan Asher & the Infantry [http://www.nathanasher.com/], Fashion Design [http://fashiondesignband.com/]
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Big night of local rock at the Cradle. The Sames are the old men on the bill, which I think means it's about goddamn time to release that album, boys. They are the finest noise-pop-scree band in the Triangle, and are also almost certainly the only such band with a guitarist who holds a PhD in jumping around spastically.

Fashion Design are young upstarts with a fine regard for dreamy/echoey UK bands of the 80s, and a complete selection of chorus pedals to match.

Nathan Asher and the Infantry are a 47-piece rockband from Raleigh with at least 15 guitarists & 22 keyboardists & a guy named Nathan Asher who has clearly spent an unhealthy amount of time sitting at home alone with headphones on listening to Bruce Springsteen in one ear & Patti Smith in the other. When I play his stuff on the radio, I get a lot of phone calls. From young ladies.

Monday, March 28
DMBQ [http://www.dmbq.net/bio_e.asp], Fin Fang Foom [http://www.lovitt.com/artists/finfangfoom.html], Birds of Avalon [http://www.myspace.com/birdsofavalon]
Martin Street Music Hall, Raleigh

2nd Triangle night for Japanese acid-rockers DMBQ. Also on the bill tonight, El BOA, aka the Birds of Avalon, a Raleigh-rock supergroup including Paul and Cheetie (formerly of Cherry Valence), Craig Tilley of the Weather, Dave Mueller of Strange, and Scott Nurkin of Dynamite Brothers. The stuff I heard was kinda space-rocky.

Tuesday, March 29
Work Clothes, Bringerer
The Library, Chapel Hill

Those of you who missed Work Clothes at the recent des_ark CD release show have a chance to redeem yourselves tonight. You probably know them as the quiet two-piece who trade places on drums & guitar. What you don't know is that lately they've recruited Clarque Blomquist (Shallow Be Thy Name, Kingsbury Manx) and John Harrison (North Elementary) to help them transform magically into Huge Rock Gods at various points in their set.

Tuesday, March 29
Radio 4 [http://www.gernblandsten.com], Glissade [http://www.myspace.com/glissade], I Am the World Trade Center [http://www.iamluxe.com/worldtrade/]
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Wednesday, March 30
Sharron Kraus [http://www.sharronkraus.com/], Caleb Stine, Chuck Johnson
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Once again, copping shamelessly from the Nightlight website:

"Dark folk night - Sharron's been compared to Shirley Collins, made Thurston Moore & Byron Coley's list of 80 best things of 2004 [in Arthur--in the photo in the mag she's clutching a banjo as though it were a life preserver -- ed.], and received accolades from Fake Jazz, Ptolemaic Terrascope, All Music, etc and boy is she amazing live. Chuck Johnson will do a solo stoney guitar set and possibly wear his Sai Baba if we all promise to be good, okay?"

--------> http://www.trianglerock.com <--------