ch-scene - Re: 'aggressive' indie rock in the triangle?

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: 'aggressive' indie rock in the triangle?
  • Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 18:17:51 -0500

Heh. Kung Flude: http://www.kungflude.com/

Depending on whether you're more interested in balls-out punk/aggro stuff (like Jehu, for instance) or more arty/intellectual/noisy stuff (like Archers) or politically-motivated post-hardcore postpunk (like Fugazi) or whatever else, you might find a greater number of potential bands-to-like in Greensboro, or you might do fine in the Triangle. But then Greensboro is only 45 minutes or so from Chapel Hill, and bands there break up every 10 minutes anyway, so maybe Chapel Hill will work out for you either way. Certainly I'd rather live here & drive over there occasionally rather than vice-versa.

Some Greensboro/Winston-Salem bands to check out, just for fun:

www.kudzuwish.com
www.manamid.com
www.purevolume.com/tigerbearwolf
www.crimsonspectre.com/
www.allastronauts.com

There's a bar in Greensboro that books pretty much nothing but hardcore & emo bands: www.acesbasement.com

Our friends at Deep Fry Bonanza in Chapel Hill almost certainly have opinions about the status of "punk" music in the Triangle: http://www.dfbpunk.com/

Ross

James Hepler wrote:
The Nein.

http://www.thenein.com

Damn straight.

Check their website for a show near you!

also:

The Ghost of Rock.

http://www.demonbeachrecords.com/ghost.html

And tons more.

--- carl <mr.warner AT gmail.com> wrote:

hi. I may be a future transplant to the triangle
area and am wondering
if there is a local scene for the music I'm into...
bands along the
lines of Fugazi, Chavez, Drive Like Jehu, Archers of
Loaf, The
Paperchase, etc... do they exist? play to an
audience greater than the
bartender and his dog? thanks.

-- ch-scene: the list that mirrors
alt.music.chapel-hill --